It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Washington Post cancels lobbyist event amid uproar

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 09:12 PM
link   

Washington Post cancels lobbyist event amid uproar

www.politico.com

Washington Post publisher Katharine Weymouth said today she was canceling plans for an exclusive "salon" at her home where for as much as $250,000, the Post offered lobbyists and association executives off-the-record access to "those powerful few" — Obama administration officials, members of Congress, and even the paper’s own reporters and editors.

The astonishing offer was detailed in a flier circulated Wednesday to a health care lobbyist, who provided it to a reporter because...
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 09:12 PM
link   

Brauchli said in an interview that he understood the business side of the Post planned on holding dinners on policy and was scheduled to attend the July 21 dinner at Weymouth’s Washington home, but he said he had not seen the material promoting it until today. “The flier, and the description of these things, was not at all consistent with the preliminary conversations the newsroom had,” Brauchli said, adding that it was “absolutely impossible” the newsroom would participate in the kind of event described in the solicitation for the event.

"Underwriting Opportunity: An evening with the right people can alter the debate," says the one-page flier. "Underwrite and participate in this intimate and exclusive Washington Post Salon, an off-the-record dinner and discussion at the home of CEO and Publisher Katharine Weymouth. ... Bring your organization’s CEO or executive director literally to the table. Interact with key Obama administration and congressional leaders."

Journalistic integrity at $25k a pop. Who you think you are trying to fool? It only got canceled because you got busted!

So if non-confrontational meetings cost 25K to 250K, how much are the confrontational ones?

And for an administration that swore up and down they weren't going to hire lobbyists, they sure have no problem continuing the grand old tradition of feed your greed and screw the people.
Transparency- Washington Post style. Only after you get busted.

Remember absolute power concedes rarely, and only to demand.

A new business model is born...oops...abortion.

www.politico.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 09:31 PM
link   
Open invitation for lobbyists to effet policy if they have the cash! This make me sick! How many times have events like this happened that we don't know about?

-E-

[edit on 2-7-2009 by MysterE]

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 09:54 PM
link   
Did they stop this before . . .

I just caught myself.

If the administration was truely honest about lobbyist insiders and this was going to be a new administration, well, then this should not have been planned in the first place.

Take note people. They are going to muddy the waters here by saying that they are sticking to the campaign promise by canceling the event.

But.

If they were truely honorable people, then it wouldn't have been started in the first place.

S & F

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 10:03 PM
link   
Yeah well there's a whole bunch of us that are pretty pissed off right about now, and our votes have gone up in price so high that there ain't a damn one of them that can afford to buy them.

Vote em all out!!!

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 10:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sundancer
Yeah well there's a whole bunch of us that are pretty pissed off right about now, and our votes have gone up in price so high that there ain't a damn one of them that can afford to buy them.

Vote em all out!!!

Will Diebold be counting the votes?

The only way any news gets reported is if someone can make a buck from it, it's highly distracting from real impacting events, or someone screws up.

And that's the way it is. - Walter Cronkite

posted on Jul, 3 2009 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by MysterE
How many times have events like this happened that we don't know about?

Yeah, exactly what I'd like to know too. Maybe what we need is an organization dedicated to exposing the underhanded schemes insiders use to keep people in powerful positions shielded from the rest of us. Better yet, what we need is laws against lobbying, and against the passage of legislation that gets handed down at the last minute with no chance for anyone to read it before signing. That really bugs me.

[edit on Fri Jul 3rd 2009 by TrueAmerican]

posted on Jul, 3 2009 @ 02:25 PM
link   
There's so much about this that outrages me, I don't know where to start.

I guess at the root, it's about how the news (and therefore journalistic integrity) shouldn't be at the whim of profit, anymore than politics should be at the whim of money.

top topics

join