It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Missile experts see Soviet parts in NKorean rocket

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 08:15 PM
link   

Missile experts see Soviet parts in NKorean rocket

www.breitbart.com

With concerns rising about a possible North Korean long-range missile test this weekend, two independent scientists say the regime may be using an old Soviet ballistic missile to boost a rocket capable of reaching the West Coast of the United States
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 08:15 PM
link   
So, are they saying that the russians are supplying the North Koreans with missiles?

Using data and imagery from North Korea's April 4 launch, Postol and Wright calculated that the second stage of the North Korean rocket had the external dimensions, engine power and key features of an SS-N 6, a Soviet submarine-launched ballistic missile first deployed in 1968

The missile has been around for a while, so it's up in the air how they aquired them but the scarey part is..

it could modify the rocket into a two-stage missile that could reach Seattle, Wash., carrying a 900-kilogram war., or San Francisco carrying a 700-kilogram charge.

The design of a long-range missile tested by North Korea last April "represents a very significant advance in rocket technology," said Massachusetts Institute of Technology professor Ted Postol and Union of Concerned Scientists'

Maybe we are underestinating the North Koreans capabilities. They do have the 3rd largest active army, and the largest army reserves in the world. See Here

-E-

www.breitbart.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 2-7-2009 by MysterE]

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 08:51 PM
link   
a lunatic despot with (partially) russian made weapons?
not too much of a shock there. it might mean the weapon is actually dangerous though.

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Its possible to buy old soviet military equipment. It also is quite easy to do, if you know the right people. Im not surprised that there are soviet parts since alot of old cold war weapons and devices are up for sale to the highest bidder.

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Soooo... does this mean they may have more missiles than previously thought?

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 09:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by gravitybender
Soooo... does this mean they may have more missiles than previously thought?

It means they have better missiles then we thought

represents a very significant advance in rocket technology

-E-

[edit on 2-7-2009 by MysterE]

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 09:04 PM
link   
I think one of the driving forces behind Russian desires for deep missile cuts is so they have more old hardware to sell. It has been siting in their inventors for a couple of decades and now they want to liquidate it and put that money into something of more use. Selling it to space ventures and rouge nations is money in the bank for the Russians and if we go and blow them up then they will just sell some more. They lose nothing in the deal either way.

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 09:18 PM
link   
reply to post by UFOTECH

Not only that, but most likely they will sell to countries that will or will try to use it against the US.

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 09:19 PM
link   
I hope that the media isn't going to use this info to encourage even more bad feeling toward Russia. When the Soviet union collapsed, all that kind of stuff was sold off. I hope the American media doesn't try and draw a link saying that Russia is complicit in the latest "Krazy Kim" antics.

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 09:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Lazyninja

Thats funny you mention that, I was just reading this article and wondering something similar

Obama to tell Putin: Time to move past Cold War

-E-

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 09:32 PM
link   
If true is bad news.Dont forget NK has chemical/bio weapons they can stick on those birds.

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 09:46 PM
link   
America seems very cocky. Making fun of NK and their leader, like it is primary school.
They think every country praises them and respects them, but in reality NO countries respect them. I'm not surprised to hear that the rocket has Soviet parts, I wouldn't be surprised to find out that they have nuclear weapons hidden somewhere either.

Just like primary school America might be better off if they stop mocking NK and saying "it's okay, they wouldn't hurt me, they cant, we are the most powerful, yeeeeehaw!"

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 10:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by MysterE
Thats funny you mention that, I was just reading this article and wondering something similar

Obama to tell Putin: Time to move past Cold War

-E-

Interesting article. So cooperation is going to mean disarming nukes I guess.

The other day somebody said something which was very interesting, that America has never taking military action against a country which had nuclear weapons. You can really see why Russia does not want to be the first one to holster his gun in this Mexican standoff.

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 10:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Lazyninja

To be fair, to the best of my knowledge, Israel is the only nuclear armed country to be attacked in a serious way.

And more than one time, mind you, by more than one country.

For that matter, Russia and China have never directly attacked a nuclear armed country either.....

Just food for thought...

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 10:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrmonsoon
For that matter, Russia and China have never directly attacked a nuclear armed country either.....

Yes and they haven't invaded any oil nations either

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 10:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Nventual

I was watching John Stewart yesterday and he had a guy on their that wrote a book on his work to help North Koreans get out and resettle in China or one of the other islands around there and he said they teach anti-Americanism to their school children.

He gave an example of a grade school math problem. "If you have a hand grenade and you kill to American's with it and another hand grenade and it blows up 1 Americans how many Americans have you killed?"

That was in a grade school text book. You might think Americans are cocky but the North Koreans are taught to hate us from early childhood. Which is worse behavior? I think teaching hate to children is far worse than people just being full of themselves.

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 10:25 PM
link   
Is everyone on here an idiot? Soviet parts do not mean the rockets have the latest hardware from Russia and that Russia is supplying them. SOVIET means parts from the SOVIET empire. This means over 15 years ago. These can be bought by any country. There is nothing to read here that implies in any shape that Russia is helping NK with their missiles.

Please people read and THINK!!!

[edit on 2-7-2009 by princeofpeace]

posted on Jul, 3 2009 @ 12:03 AM
link   
the most important rule of war:

NEVER underestimate your enemy.

You will lose every time.

posted on Jul, 3 2009 @ 08:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by princeofpeace
Is everyone on here an idiot? Soviet parts do not mean the rockets have the latest hardware from Russia and that Russia is supplying them. SOVIET means parts from the SOVIET empire. This means over 15 years ago. These can be bought by any country. There is nothing to read here that implies in any shape that Russia is helping NK with their missiles.

Please people read and THINK!!!

How funny that you would tell people to "read and THINK!!!" when you obviously havn't read the posts here. Allow me to quote it for you.

The missile has been around for a while, so it's up in the air how they aquired them but the scarey part is..

it could modify the rocket into a two-stage missile that could reach Seattle, Wash., carrying a 900-kilogram war., or San Francisco carrying a 700-kilogram charge.

The design of a long-range missile tested by North Korea last April "represents a very significant advance in rocket technology," said Massachusetts Institute of Technology professor Ted Postol and Union of Concerned Scientists'

Maybe we are underestinating the North Koreans capabilities. They do have the 3rd largest active army, and the largest army reserves in the world. See Here

The point is not that the soviets may be supplying N Korea, it is that the N Korean capabilities may be better then we thought.

[edit on 3-7-2009 by MysterE]

new topics

top topics

join