It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Perfectly Circular Contrails?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 04:14 PM
link   
OK, this is probably nothing.

Please visit link below (recent hi-rez pix from ISS)

SCROLL DOWN. Check out Image #12. It appears to be a near perfect circular contrail.

Is that easy for a jet to do? ( Even if there is minimal wind.) I realize in a car on a flat surface, no problem, but in X,Y, Z space?

www.boston.com...

Look forward to your replies.

Regards...KK

[edit on 2-7-2009 by kinda kurious]

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by kinda kurious

Hi, KK:

I can tell you what that is.

The airplane was in a holding pattern. See the big oval?

They had just began another 'racetrack' pattern when ATC called and told them they were 'released' from the hold, and they just continued the 360 degree turn and continued on course.

Winds were light, they stayed at the same altitude. You can see the oval has drifted a bit...so there was some wind.

PS: Simply stunning pics!
Thanks for sharing.

[edit on 7/2/0909 by weedwhacker]

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Rather than mess it up with my words, here is what a comment on your link had to say (which I agree wholeheartedly with).

Overall, a stunning (inadequate term, at best) collection of once-in-a-lifetime images of our world. I was especially struck by the Lake Baikal "upwelling" circle and broken ice - possibly worthy of further scientific study. I was also amazed by the perfect contrail circle scribed by the still flying jet over the Canadian Rockies; it would be nice to interview that pilot and show him/her that picture. The Moon "squishing" pic was alarming, but beautifuly described later on Discover.com. Whew! That was close.

I would really like to hear someone's explanation of that circular contrail

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 04:27 PM
link   
reply to post by weedwhacker

I may agree, but that circle is very perfect, and contrails are usually made at considerable altitude, so it would be odd to be in a holding pattern up there?

I don't think this is anything supernatural, but it is very interesting, as were the rest of the pictures in that link.

S and F for the great pics!

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 04:41 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

Since you asked, getready,

...so it would be odd to be in a holding pattern up there?

Doesn't happen often, but it's not unheard of.

Perfectly circular is easy --- nowadays you program the 'hold' into the Flight Management Computer, and "engage"!
The computer calculates the path, the Autopilot steers. The computer will calculate a ground track to define a normal holding pattern, that's the oval (racetrack) shape. When you are ready to exit, you push the button next to the prompt opn the screen labeled "EXIT HOLD", and the computer will, in the case of the airplane in the picture, just draw a perfect circle back to the holding fix, and continue on the already programmed flight plan track.

Simple, eh? (Takes longer to describe than to do...)

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 05:05 PM
link   
I've no idea what caused that, but the rest of those pictures are amazing!!
such detail!

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 08:31 PM
link   
I accept Weedwhacker's explanation as he is highly knowledgeable and an indisputable expert.

As reward, some cool cockpit photos:

www.canadabizmart.com...

Regards...KK

new topics

top topics

join