It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan finds first case of H1N1 resistant to Tamiflu

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Japan finds first case of H1N1 resistant to Tamiflu

Japan has confirmed its first case of a genetic mutation of the new H1N1 flu virus that shows resistance to Tamiflu, the main antiviral flu drug, a health ministry official said on Thursday
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.reuters.com

[edit on 2-7-2009 by MysterE]

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Now, normally I would not start a thread about H1N1, but the fact that they are finding mutations that resist the tamiflu is a bit disturbing concidering that is what America has stockpiled. Now be aware that Tamiflu does not prevent H1N1, but what the article is refering to is in the mutated strand Tamiflu does not prevent infections that are due to H1N1.

They found the drug-resistant virus in a patient who was given Tamiflu to prevent infection but who developed symptoms anyway, the health ministry's Takeshi Enami said

So looks like Relenza is the way to go right now.
Sorry Cheney

-E-

thestar.com.my] Link to article
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 2-7-2009 by MysterE]

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 07:34 PM
link   
What's the difference between what was found in Japan and what was found in Denmark?

First case of Tamiflu resistance in swine flu emerges in Denmark
www.indianexpress.com...

Edit: Oh, I see your article references the case in Denmark but says it was isolated. Nevertheless, we can't have two first cases can we? LoL.

[edit on 2-7-2009 by theyreadmymind]

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 07:58 PM
link   
On the thread posted already about resistance in Denmark, I though Japan would be next, due to their usage of Tamiflu so regularly.

Here's the link I found:

www.google.com...

And here's the thread on which resistance is being discussed:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 2-7-2009 by CultureD]

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 08:03 PM
link   
reply to post by CultureD

Thanks for the update guys. Looks like Japan is backing up Denmarks claims.

-E-

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 08:11 PM
link   
I was under the impression that Tamiflu only treats the symptoms of influenza.

A quick Google search supports this.

In that case, what exactly is the problem with a flu virus that resists a drug which only treats the symptoms?

Isn't Tamiflu just another Sudafed-type medication?

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 08:18 PM
link   
The anti-virals used against flu (like tamiflu and Relenza, as well as the oder classes of amantadines) merely shorten (or attempt to) the time one is violently ill iwth flu- thy're given in a case of a serious flu to people who are at high-risk from death- asthmatics, etc.

The problem is, they're toxic, don't always do anything at all, and when used regularly (every flu season), they gain resistance factors, just like antibiotics- the viruses mutate to avoid being susceptible to the anti-virals.

They don't cure anything- nothing can cure a virus, except one's own immune system, but they're used to slow progression of the virus to give people's immunity a chance to fight back.

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 08:19 PM
link   
reply to post by MysterE

Absolutely- and thanks for your posts, as well!

Take good care

posted on Jul, 3 2009 @ 09:25 AM
link   
Hong Kong finds 1st case of H1N1 resistant to Tamiflu...
www.reuters.com...

top topics

join