It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"System Irregularities?"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 04:06 PM
link   
www.marketwatch.com...

The New York Stock Exchange said it extended trading until 4.15 p.m. Eastern on Thursday due to system irregularities. The NYSE, which normally ends trading at 4 p.m. Eastern, said it would provide another 15 minutes "in order to settle customer transactions that were affected by systemic irregularities," according to Eric Ryan, a spokesman for the exchange.

While the overall market didn't exactly experience Earth shaking changes in the extra 15 minutes, I have to wonder exactly what this was all about and what kind of manipulation took place to either warrant the extra minutes or during the extra minutes themselves. Anybody have any further news on this, including precident and past instances of extending the trading day? This is the first time I recall ever hearing about this and, to be honest, I didn't even know it was possible.

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 04:32 PM
link   
reply to post by burdman30ott6

I have heard of them suspending trading or extending it for system irregularities before, but I can't remember the situation.

I will try to search some for precedents.

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 04:33 PM
link   
There have been a few "system irregularities" here lately. Just a few weeks ago the whole NYSE system went down the main system and backup system.

Things are getting really weird.

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 08:08 PM
link   
I was daytrading today and got a big alert. Something had happened on the floor with the Query computers. Lots of traders didnt get there trades in.

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 09:55 PM
link   
One of the bigger non stories youll hear about. There is a lot more to this than system irregularities...

www.marketwatch.com...

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 10:11 PM
link   
Ha Ha Ha LMAO! What a joke...

to settle customer transactions that were affected

Since when did Wall Street give a freak about it's customers?
I can't believe they even had the balls to say something that stupid...

star and flag btw.

[edit on 2-7-2009 by Sundancer]

posted on Jul, 3 2009 @ 03:38 AM
link   
reply to post by tjeffersonsghost

OK, can anyone think of one single business entity which, in the week leading into a 3 day holiday weekend, installs a brand new computer system (unless the old system has gone belly up) rather than waiting until normal business is closed for the long weekend and then having the IT brains work their magic with extra time to debug the installation? Their explanation doesn't hold water for me. We're dealing with one of the largest money handling exchanges in the world and they opt to take a needless risk that large in the middle of the work week? I don't buy it!

top topics

join