It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Child Dies after being strangled by pet python

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2009 @ 09:40 AM
link   
It's very easy to humanise reptiles kept as pets, and it's a mistake. I have corn snakes, and I swear they have human characteristics; also a 7 foot boa constrictor who is the calmest beast normally, but they have all struck at me, and I'm sure they will again....they are NOT communicative characters like dogs and cats.....all they want is to sleep and feed, despite our familiarity with them.

I also find it shocking that these people didn't have a lock on their vivarium, which are very easily obtainable. It's kind of a must....even the calmest of snakes will make a run for it, as mine have done, given the slightest gap. What happened to the education they *should* have been given in the reptile shop when the bought their snake that would have told them about locking the viv, and that any snake over 6 feet or so should never be single handled.....two people at least, especially with a snake like a python? Dogs can be trained, snakes only know habit.

posted on Jul, 3 2009 @ 09:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox
This was all over the news this morning. Af first I thought it was one of the leagues of loose pets that are overtaking Florida. But apparently it was a family pet that escaped its cage and tried to eat the 2 yo, strangling her in the process.

YOu try to protect your children from everything, I bet they never considered the python would try to eat her.

I heard part of the 9/11 call on tv this morning, I coudln't even finish listening to it. I can't imagine those poor parents right now, or the horror that little girl felt.

ugh.

[edit on 2-7-2009 by nixie_nox]

The poor parents? You mean the stupid, redneck, yeehahs that had the pet snake, who were probably too drunk and stoned to protect their daughter? I think they should lose the remainder of their children and be prosecuted for deadly negligence!!!!

do you think large pets should be able to be kept around small children?

No, especially, alcohol and drug addicted rednecks, in fact not only should they not have these kinds of pets, they shouldn't breed either!

posted on Jul, 3 2009 @ 12:30 PM
link   
reply to post by ldyserenity

Stupid? Yes.

I won't argue with that.

But to stereotype rednecks as drunk and stoned is pretty offensive.

It is actually amazing how easy kids get killed. The number one cause of death of young children is choking on hot dogs.

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 06:32 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

I never so much in my life have seen more drunks and drug addicted folk than down here in Florida. So that's my opinion of the majority of these people. And they had mentioned in one of the reports I had read that they in fact had been drinking the night prior. So if in fact that's the case, then the stereotype fits. As for how easy it is for a child to die, yeah well, I think that statistic goes up when you place dangerous animals into the hands of dumb, irresponsible parents.

[edit on 4-7-2009 by ldyserenity]

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox

It is actually amazing how easy kids get killed. The number one cause of death of young children is choking on hot dogs.

Yup - 12 million a year.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join