It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North Korean Rocket Capable Of Hitting Half The U.S: Scientists

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by open_eyeballs
...besides something like this being hilarious, it is an obvious indication of how little people know about the world.

Maybe one day we can live without all this fear mongering...maybe...

Yeah, and people like you were saying not that long ago that China, or Russia would not try to weaken the U.S. economically because we are their customers....

People like you were saying 4 years ago that Russia, and China would not unite militarily, yet they have done so.

As for not knowing about the world? i lived in three different continents, and received three different forms of education, from indoctrination from a Communist regime, to education in Europe when there was no Political Correctness, or it wasn't as rampant as it is today, to education in the U.S. as well as in the military in Aircrew A/W (Aviation Warfare).

So I think I am very aware of the threat of this situation.

[edit on 2-7-2009 by ElectricUniverse]

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23North Korea will not launch a missile toward any U.S. territory with an intent to cause damage and start a conflict.

that was a very good post wp, but i must point the finger at the cia once again. they can push a country... an individual to do almost anything. they do their own people that way too.

so, i expect the unexpected.

that's a cesspool of diabolic activity that goes straight down to hell... or whatever portal it is that they are dealing with. maybe a gateway.

but i digress...

very good post of yours though.

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 02:07 PM
link   
I dont care where you lived or where you were educated or how you were educated EU, I dont care what you think you are aware of. What do you KNOW?

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by apacheman
reply to post by gravitybender

The last time I checked North Korea had maybe 3-6 small nukes, so where would "10-20 getting through" come from?

Don't forget the ABL is operational now; at least one of them is available. If it isn't deployed to the Pacific right now, then the threat is minimal in military eyes. If it is deployed, the threat is pretty close to zero.

What I was implying was the news story saying a "fire storm" of missiles, it makes me think of hundreds. So I was simply referring to the two news stories I posted and asking a "what if".

Personally I don't know what to think anymore until something actually happens.

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by SOXMIS
I dont care where you lived or where you were educated or how you were educated EU, I dont care what you think you are aware of. What do you KNOW?

Enough not to disregard this just for past failures by NK.

You actually think that asking such a question is enough proof to disregard this information?

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23
So, yes, I sleep very peacefully at night.

BTW, just because i don't disregard this information out of hand because of past failures by NK, it doesn't mean I am losing any sleep...

Being cautious and understanding real threats is different than being paranoid.

If i remember correctly weren't you one of the people who 3-4 years ago was claiming China would not try to weaken the U.S. economically because we are their customers?

I might be wrong, but I could swear you were one of the people also disregarding similar information about China, and even Russia.

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Yes I do, I can honestly say I know very little about North Korea, I've lived here in China for nearly a year and know very little about China. I know very little about Australia where I lived for ten years, I know very little about the army whom I served with for several years. In fact I know very little about most, if not all, things. But I knows BS when I smells it!

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 02:18 PM
link   
reply to post by ElectricUniverse

You learn MUCH more through failure than through success.
If they are taking the "what not to do" approach, they could already be on their way to solid rockets.

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by ElectricUniverse

Originally posted by WestPoint23
So, yes, I sleep very peacefully at night.

BTW, just because i don't disregard this information out of hand because of past failures by NK, it doesn't mean I am losing any sleep...

Being cautious and understanding real threats is different than being paranoid.

If i remember correctly weren't you one of the people who 3-4 years ago was claiming China would not try to weaken the U.S. economically because we are their customers?

I might be wrong, but I could swear you were one of the people also disregarding similar information about China, and even Russia.

How do you know it was China? I have my own personal theory on who it was, but what makes your 'theory' anymore valid than ayone else's?

At the moment, you are spewing BS, if you accept that it is your opinion and expressed it more often, then I think people wouldn't be taking so much offense.

IYO, China and Russia are trying to destabilise America economically, so they can invade with greater ease.

IMO, America is seeing how far it can get before a retaliation.

Who's right? Who knows, but stop stating your opinion as fact.

EMM

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by ElectroMagnetic Multivers
At the moment, you are spewing BS, if you accept that it is your opinion and expressed it more often, then I think people wouldn't be taking so much offense.

In this case, as in most cases, my opinion is based on INFORMATION... I did not make this up.

As for the responses i was making to Westpoint, i was making a point that as he has been wrong in the past, he could be wrong again.

Yes, he could be right, but he was disregarding this even without reading the information.

He presented information about "past" Taepondong 1 and 2 being used by NK and not having much of a reach as evidence that the Unha-2 will fail, when this is the new platform which North Korea apparently got from Russia, and which has a farther reach than the Taepondong 1 or 2.

He did not even look at the information, he just went ahead and dismissed it.

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Atlantican

You learn MUCH more through failure than through success.
If they are taking the "what not to do" approach, they could already be on their way to solid rockets.

Yep, you are right. I am glad that at least one person doesn't just want to disregard this just because of past failures of NK.

Seriously, if a thief was trying to get into your home, but had failed several times in the past, yet that thief keeps trying to get into your house with the intention of killing you, as well as robbing you, does the past failures of the thief make him less of a threat?...

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Oooooh FIREWORKS! YAY!

Be sure to take and post some good pictures!

Really, does anyone seriously think that lil frump from N.Korea is that stupid
to launch a rocket, missle, or even a very large turd at the USA?

IF a launch is made, it WILL be known whether it carries a nuke, and if so, blown out of the sky before leaving NK air space...

IF I am wrong, I will certainly enjoy the show that follows...

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Yeah, and people like you were saying not that long ago that China, or Russia would not try to weaken the U.S. economically because we are their customers....

While their is always competition in wolrd markets, and certainly policies from our own politicians amongst other world leader politicians point toward manipulation of every index that exists, I have found no indications that China or Russia have done anything to weaken the U.S. economy. In fact China has been the largest creditor to the U.S. as of date.

So, by all means feel free to provide evidence of your claims.

People like you were saying 4 years ago that Russia, and China would not unite militarily, yet they have done so.

Unite, you say? Militarily huh? Not quite. Nevermind the fact Russia is no longer a communist country anymore, the only thing they share is a desire for the oil from countrys like Iran and Khazakistan. They have no unification. Just like every other new market, both are fighting for position in the world economic order. All behind the EU and America.

Unification..lol..thats funny. Not even close.

So I think I am very aware of the threat of this situation.

I think you are a little too aware. To the point you are trying to provide sensationalism to support some theory you have about a world war or whatever you believe will happen.

Sorry, I don't by it.

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 04:18 PM
link   

So, by all means feel free to provide evidence of your claims.

Why is it that everytime someone is unaware or ignorant of certain facts they try to claim the person making such comments has no evidence to back them?...

China may lead US economy to collapse dumping US dollar

Newspaper Review by: perez
Author : Perezodian
Published: September 11, 2007

The nation that analysts are watching especially closely at this stage is China. Whether or not Beijing is selling its dollars can’t be officially confirmed until November, when the Treasury releases its tic data. However, top Beijing officials have been signaling for at least two years that dollar sales are increasingly imminent.
This past August, two Chinese government officials highlighted China’s massive U.S. dollar holdings (which include treasuries) and how it supports the value of the U.S. currency. They also noted that Beijing could use those holdings as a political weapon to counter congressional calls to revalue the yuan and impose trade sanctions on Chinese goods. Chinese state media referred to the country’s stockpile of U.S. dollars as its economic nuclear option, capable of destroying the dollar at will.
Beijing also clearly signaled that it would begin “diversifying” out of the dollar earlier this year when it announced plans to rebalance its $1.34 trillion currency reserves, which are mostly U.S. bonds. Already Beijing has created a $300 billion investment fund to use those dollars to purchase other assets in an attempt to increase its investment returns.

www.shvoong.com...

Just over one week before President Barack Obama and other world leaders meet in London for a summit focusing on the global recession, China is making clear it wants a greater say in managing economic policies worldwide. The latest blast from Beijing: a call by China's top central banker to dump the U.S. dollar as the world's most important currency. People's Bank of China Governor Zhou Xiaochuan, in a paper released on the bank's Web site on Mar. 23, called for a new "super-sovereign reserve currency" to replace the current reliance on the dollar. The goal, Zhou writes, is to "create an international reserve currency that is disconnected from individual nations and is able to remain stable in the long run."

www.businessweek.com...

Russia, China should dump dollar in trade - Medvedev
Fri Jun 5, 2009 3:07pm IST

MOSCOW (Reuters) - Russia and China should consider switching to domestic currencies in bilateral trade without going to the dollar, Russia′s president Dmitry Medvedev said in an interview with Kommersant daily published on Friday.

China has already entered similar agreements with Brazil and Belarus. The deal involves a currency swap agreement between the two countries. Trade turnover between Russia and China reached about $50 billion in 2008 and is set to increase.

"I think that we can think about such positions, for example the rouble against yuan," Medvedev was quoted by Kommersant as saying. Russia′s own attempt to switch to the rouble in bilateral trade with Belarus has so far not been successful.

Leaders of Brazil, Russia, India and China, known by their BRIC acronym, are meeting in the Russian city of Yekaterinburg on June 16 to discuss the role of the dollar in the global financial system among other issues.

Medvedev said bilateral currency deals between trade partners ease impact of the economic crisis in an environment when many countries have difficulties tapping international capital markets

www.warandpeace.ru...

These countries have been calling for years for a new world Economy headed mostly by China, Russia, and India, in which China, and Russia would be the biggest players. They have been doing this even before the economic crisis started.

This fact has been discussed in the forums several times now.

Here is one link.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Unite, you say? Militarily huh? Not quite. Nevermind the fact Russia is no longer a communist country anymore, the only thing they share is a desire for the oil from countrys like Iran and Khazakistan. They have no unification. Just like every other new market, both are fighting for position in the world economic order. All behind the EU and America.

Unification..lol..thats funny. Not even close.

I guess you have never heard of the Shanghai Cooperation Organization in which the mayor players are Russia, and China and which was created to opose NATO and the U.S.?....

For Russia and China, the Shanghai Cooperation Organization (SCO) — which is holding its annual summit Aug. 28-29 in Tajikistan — serves different purposes. The SCO focus for Russia is outward, as a security alliance that might someday counter NATO, while China views the SCO as a security guarantor in Central Asia. As the summit concludes in the Tajik capital of Dushanbe, Russia is in no position to push its vision of the SCO on China.

www.stratfor.com...

And really Russia, and China among other countries haven't done joint military exercises?...

"Peace Mission 2007"
+ - 16:17, July 27, 2007

Some 6,500 troops will take part in large-scale counterterrorism exercises, codenamed "Peace Mission 2007" from August 9 to 17.

The Peace Mission 2007 exercise, held by members of the Shanghai Cooperation Organization (SCO) will involve 500 combat vehicles from Russia and China, about 2,000 Russian and 1,600 Chinese personnel, two paratrooper companies (around 100 men each) from Tajikistan and Kazakhstan, and a platoon from Kyrgyzstan.

The exercise will involve practically all SCO members for the first time in its history. Established in 2001 as a non-military alliance, the SCO initially set dealing with extremism and other security threats in Central Asia as its goal, but has since expanded its scope to include cooperation in disaster relief and trade.

The group comprises Russia, China, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan and Uzbekistan. The organization also lists Iran, Pakistan, India and Mongolia as observers.

english.peopledaily.com.cn...

Oh yeah, they claim this organization is to respond to terrorism, except for the fact that several members of this organization terrorize their own people. Not to mention that Iran has an observer status in the organization and there are plans for it to join the SCO.

their joined military exercises started since 2005.

Russia and China kicked off their first-ever joint military exercises today in the city of Vladivostok in Russia's Far East. Some 10,000 troops from air, land, and sea forces are due to take part in the eight-day drill, which will be centered along China's northeastern coast. Both countries have actively sought to reassure the United States that the war games are not aimed at any third country. Experts say the goal of the drill, in fact, may be more commercial than military.

www.rferl.org...

As for your claim that Russia is no longer Communist?...

Russian journalists who have been too critical of Russia, or Putin ahve foudn themselves murdered by the Russian government, not to mention that they have even murdered a dissenter who was spilling the beans about the corrupt Communist Russian government and he was poisoned with radiation in his drink in England.

Not to mention the fact that the Russian government performed a riot in Russia's largest Human Rughts organization, stealing all the evidence about Stalin's attrocities which the organization had been storing for 20 years. There is also an indoctrination going on in Russia where books now claim Stalin was a hero and they don't mention the atrocities he committed. They even want to make Stalin a saint...

Archives seized

The primary evidence comes in the form of a new manual for history teachers in the country's schools, which says Stalin acted "entirely rationally".

"[The initiative] came from the very top," says the editor of the manual, historian Alexander Danilov.

"I believe it was the idea of former president, now prime minister, Vladimir Putin.

"It fits completely with the political course we have had for the last eight years, which is dedicated to the unity of society."

But the campaign goes further than reinterpreting history for schoolchildren. It is also physical.

Earlier this month, riot police raided the St Petersburg office of one of Russia's best-known human rights organisations, Memorial.

Claiming a possible link with an "extremist" article published in a local newspaper, the police took away 12 computer hard-drives containing the entire digital archive of the atrocities committed under Stalin.

news.bbc.co.uk...

But hey as long as they make up a bloodless coup, and the instigators are roaming free in Russia and making lots of money i guess that makes them now as Capitalists, and not as Communist who are using Capitalism to stay afloat...

I think you are a little too aware. To the point you are trying to provide sensationalism to support some theory you have about a world war or whatever you believe will happen.

I think you are too ignorant of what has been really happening in Russia, and the world at large.

I do wonder how several high ranking military Russians who defected to the west have been able to predict exactly what the U.S.S.R./Russia would do, including making up a coup to deceive the world...

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 04:34 PM
link   

If this is true that NK missiles could reach not only Alaska but about half of the lower U.S. states, I think that the U.S. will use military action against NK.

You Americans get scared too easily. After all, every country in the world has been under a nuclear threat for the past 64 years. And quess what? That threat came originally from USA.

Chickenhawks.

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 05:27 PM
link   
Ok say they hit us with a couple nukes...

One: To the guy that said we can do without the west, that's my family, friends, and hundreds of millions of fellow American's and fellow human beings that you're saying that to. You are a disgusting person and your karma will follow you dearly.

As for the hypothetical scenario. So they hit us with a few nukes, some x million people are killed. China now has no right under treaty to defend NK.

We fly a squadron of say 20 F-14's, 10 F-18s, 4 Raptors, as an escort to 4 B-2 bombers with a payload of 1 MK-24 bomb each. That's 15 MT each. You wanna go deeper? Use the whole wing: 19 B-2'S. That's 19 bombers, each dropping one 15 MT nuclear device. Combine that with the bombs and missiles launched by the escorting wing. Ouch. And that's just a sliver of what we could do. A sliver.

So yea, Im not really that worried. It's just posturing, and anything that does happen, is probably thoroughly planned out.

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Being just a stones throw away from NYC, I sometimes feel within melting range of a possible target. However, being completely powerless to do anything about it, I just don't care. That doesnt matter, since the article claims that only the west coast could possibly be affected.
One scenario sticks out in my mind: Without warning, N. Korea launches a nuke for Hawaii. It zips closer and smashes into the ocean after a malfunction. The wave from impact will calmly break on the shore of Hawaii. And then we have a turn at it.

Now, thats 100% fictional, yet I can forsee a similar situation.

Truthfully, If I were in a position to do so, I would just surround all N. Korean territory with anti-missles (Japan, S. Korea, etc...) and go on with my life. What harm could a wasp do if it is caged?

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 06:21 PM
link   

reply to post by apacheman

?? You are kidding right?.... Oh it doesn't matter if they nuke part of the U.S. just let them nuke us, and if maybe 200,000 or more Americans are murdered....

actually 240000 Americans every year are murdered by Big Pharma and their dangerous prescription drugs.

The media which is largely funded by advertising by big pharma hardly ever mentions this unpleasant fact.

so maybe instead of being a automated puppet of the media should do a little thinking and a little research now and then if you are really worried by 240000 Americans being killed every year.

Maybe you should look closer to home.

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 10:44 PM
link   

Excerpts from your own attempt in proving your conspiracy theory...
:

This past August, two Chinese government officials highlighted China’s massive U.S. dollar holdings (which include treasuries) and how it supports the value of the U.S. currency.

Point proven. Funny, we are in the worst recession since the Great depression, and we still have not seen evil China do what you are so concerned about...i.e. dump the dollar

Beijing could use those holdings as a political weapon to counter congressional calls to revalue the yuan and impose trade sanctions on Chinese goods. Chinese state media referred to the country’s stockpile of U.S. dollars as its economic nuclear option, capable of destroying the dollar at will.

this is obvious. You don't need an economist to lay this one out for you.

Already Beijing has created a $300 billion investment fund to use those dollars to purchase other assets in an attempt to increase its investment returns.

Hmmm, still using those dollars are they? How odd...I wonder why? Considering they are out to ruin America.

Just over one week before President Barack Obama and other world leaders meet in London for a summit focusing on the global recession, China is making clear it wants a greater say in managing economic policies worldwide. The latest blast from Beijing: a call by China's top central banker to dump the U.S. dollar as the world's most important currency. People's Bank of China Governor Zhou Xiaochuan, in a paper released on the bank's Web site on Mar. 23, called for a new "super-sovereign reserve currency" to replace the current reliance on the dollar. The goal, Zhou writes, is to "create an international reserve currency that is disconnected from individual nations and is able to remain stable in the long run."

Now, tell me, if you saw the unstability that we have seen recently and you were the ones making decisions for your people, your telling me you wouldn't do what it takes to make sure your peoples investments were protected? I see nothing nefarious about anything in this statement. Nothing indicating your grand delusions.

Trade turnover between Russia and China reached about $50 billion in 2008 and is set to increase.

for such tight relations you claim, China and Russias 50 billion in trade is a drop in the bucket. U.S. purchases close to 300 billion in chinese goods yearly.

while China views the SCO as a security guarantor in Central Asia. As the summit concludes in the Tajik capital of Dushanbe, Russia is in no position to push its vision of the SCO on China.

Do, i even need to say anything about this...you posted it!...haha. thanks btw.

about 2,000 Russian and 1,600 Chinese personnel, two paratrooper companies (around 100 men each) from Tajikistan and Kazakhstan, and a platoon from Kyrgyzstan.

considering the sizes of each military, these numbers dont add up too much, and again, I see nothing nefarious or deviant about these operations. Your conspiracy is yet to be seen.

And here is an example of joint operations between the U.S. and China...

The armed forces of China and the U.S. edged towards closer mutual understanding in 2006 with a growing number of military exchanges.

The bilateral military exchanges were highlighted by senior Chinese military officer Guo Boxiong's visit to the United States.

We must be conspiring with China to take Russia out...

The exercise will involve practically all SCO members for the first time in its history. Established in 2001 as a non-military alliance, the SCO initially set dealing with extremism and other security threats in Central Asia as its goal, but has since expanded its scope to include cooperation in disaster relief and trade.

Damn those Russians and Chinese always trying to deal with extremists. Why cant they just be unprepared! They have no right to protect themselves from outside aggressors and typhoons and earthquakes!

Both countries have actively sought to reassure the United States that the war games are not aimed at any third country. Experts say the goal of the drill, in fact, may be more commercial than military.

man they sure are trying to intimidate us arent they. Evil bast***s. Communist evil bast***s they are. must be a conspiracy. WW3 here we come! Bring on the commie pinkos!

I think you are too ignorant of what has been really happening in Russia, and the world at large

your right, ill just continue to let you inform me on the latest between the three major world powers. you have done an excellent job in debunking your own conspiracy...

Sorry, your feeble attempt at sensationalism failed.

[edit on 2-7-2009 by open_eyeballs]

posted on Jul, 3 2009 @ 12:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere

It's not my half of the country they're nuking. Can't say I'll miss the old West coast much.

Hey, thanks dude. That's where I live. You know, human beings live on the west coast--fellow Americans. It must be nice to be comforted that you don't have to worry since YOU'RE not in harms way. To hell with everyone else, huh?

This is the attitude that makes people not give a rat's butt about other people. "Eh, doesn't effect me. Okay, back to life now".

**and cue the "I was just joking..lighten up"**

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join