It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North Korean Rocket Capable Of Hitting Half The U.S: Scientists

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by ElectricUniverse
reply to post by WestPoint23

We believe that its extremely unlikely that these technologies were indigenously produced by North Korea.

Pyongyang has released a video showing the launcher shortly before and during launch; these pictures allowed us to determine the relative sizes of the launcher's stages. Assuming the first-stage diameter is 2.4 meters, which is the diameter that has long been discussed for the first stage of the Taepodong-2 missile, fixes the rest of the dimensions. These are shown here PDF. Based on the dimensions of the stages, we can estimate their masses using estimates of the structure mass and the density of the propellant.

Overall, the launcher has a length of roughly 30 meters and a mass of 80-85 metric tons. We believe the first stage uses a cluster of four Nodong engines housed in a single missile casing and sharing a common fuel tank. The Nodong engine is essentially a scaled-up version of the engine used in the Soviet Scud-B missile. This engine is likely of Russian origin.

www.thebulletin.org...

[edit on 2-7-2009 by ElectricUniverse]

Thank you so much for this. This is a large piece in my personal puzzle. If you would go to this thread:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

And read my post on the 2nd page, was the last post.

I personally believe this is the beginning of a propaganda war against Russia and then possibly even China. Imagine for a moment, that a nuke actually does hit the US, what would happen? My guess would be the same thin that happened for 911. Incredible, JUSTIFIED public outrage, a demand for NK to be brought to justice.

Gone.

Now, what if it was discovered that the missile, that made this attack succesful was made by the Russians? Would you not cry for further justice? They had a hand in this just as much as NK, you'd think.

Thank you again.

EMM

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 11:49 AM
link   

You are pretty much claiming, that nomatter how many times an enemy has tried, just because of some past failures, that it will fail again.

who are the enemies eu?

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 11:50 AM
link   
reply to post by miasria

Let's say there is a 50/50 chance that such a missile can reach the U.S.

Are you claiming you are willing to play Russian roulette with a crazy dictator that is getting help from Russia, and China?....

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by miasria

who are the enemies eu?

i am sorry, are you claiming The Communist dictatorship of NK is not an enemy of the U.S., Japan, and some other countries?...

I guess they are just playing around with missiles and nuclear weapons... yeah, that must be it... They are just "playing around"...

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Dec 6, 1941 We still thought that there was no way Japan could reach us even thow we had been told they were coming! Then we found out they could on the 7th. Never underestimate your enemy no matter how silly it sounds. However I don't want to get into another war eather!

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Everyone needs to calm down and chill...

So what if NK is testing a Missile that can wrap around the globe???

They are fully aware that IF they 'push' their luck too far they will be Powderised without any protection from anyone (Russia, China, etc)

Remember People, "What goes around, comes around".

I believe the above statement is one of the most true, ever invented.

No news here... move along....move along.

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by ElectroMagnetic Multivers
I personally believe this is the beginning of a propaganda war against Russia and then possibly even China. Imagine for a moment, that a nuke actually does hit the US, what would happen? My guess would be the same thin that happened for 911. Incredible, JUSTIFIED public outrage, a demand for NK to be brought to justice.

What if this is a ploy by Russia and China to further weaken the U.S.?

There is ample evidence that they have been doing this, and they are a big player on the "generated economic crisis".

The Russian government, as well as the Chinese government want for a new World economy, dominated by a currency in which they both will be the mayor players/powers.

We know that mostly the Russians were behind Iraq WMD program, and they have been arming Iran alongside North Korea. The Chinese are doing the same but they are more careful than the Russians.

Originally posted by ElectroMagnetic Multivers
Now, what if it was discovered that the missile, that made this attack succesful was made by the Russians? Would you not cry for further justice? They had a hand in this just as much as NK, you'd think.

Thank you again.

EMM

No, thank you, but..

The U.S. government fired John A. Shaw, who was Deputy Undersecretary of Defense for International Technology Security, and in a variety of other senior U.S. Government positions. Actually he was asked to resign, which is almost the same thing.

The reason given by the government for doing this was that Shaw "exceeded his authority in disclosing the information" about having found proof that the Russian government had moved Iraq's WMD.

Mr. Shaw was responsible for tracking Saddam Hussein's weapons programs before and after the 2003 liberation of Iraq. He stated in October 2004, March 2005, and again in February 2006 that it was the Russians who helped Saddam Hussein to "clean up" his weapons of mass destruction stockpiles "to prevent the United States from discovering them." [2]

In particular, on February 18, 2006, Shaw told a conference at The Intelligence Summit in Alexandria, Virginia, that "The short answer to the question of where the WMD Saddam bought from the Russians went was that they went" to Syria and the Beqaa Valley in Lebanon, Kenneth R. Timmerman reported February 19, 2006, in NewsMax. "They were moved by Russian Spetsnaz (special forces) units out of uniform, that were specifically sent to Iraq to move the weaponry and eradicate any evidence of its existence," Shaw said.

After accusing Russian GRU of helping Saddam to remove his WMD, Shaw was asked to resign for exceeding his authority in disclosing the information, a charge he called "specious." Shaw was forced out of office when his position was eliminated on December 10, 2004.[1], [2].

Shaw stated that he went public with his comments regarding Russia moving Iraq's WMD when he did to help George W. Bush who he felt was being "crucified" by the revelations that over 350 tons of explosives had gone missing in Iraq as a result of the U.S. invasion [3]. He said "If I had not had the openly hostile environment in [Pentagon public affairs], I would have moved the story differently. Getting the truth out instantly was more important than process."

en.wikipedia.org...

There were also other sources which corroborated what Shaw had to say. Even Saddam's second in command of Iraq's Air forces, Georges Sada, had also given testimony that he personally saw how planes were being converted to move WMD out of Iraq.

Former very high ranking Russian military defectors told us, before the war started, that Russia had plans in place to move WMD out of countries like IRaq when the U.S. got too close.

Not to mention that the U.S. DID NOTHING when we found proof that the Russian government was passing our troop movements and other secret information to Saddam's regime before and during the war in Iraq.

IMO, this is another ploy by Russia, and China to further weaken the U.S., and it is a serious threat either way, whether we do something about it, or we don't.

[edit on 2-7-2009 by ElectricUniverse]

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by silo13

I stipulated that it would hurt.

Could North Korea invade the US?

No.

After using up their arsenal, would they continue to be a threat?

No.

If they attack would that be a bad thing?

Yes.

Would it be worth it to fight a war there?

No.

By all means, if their missiles can be stopped via ABL or other antimissile tech, stop them.

However, I think you miss my point. North Korea can't materially harm the US, except for maybe nuking a city or two with very small nukes, basically tactical nukes. Very bad for the targets, but in the cold calculus of war, not much damage to the nation as a whole.

What would be damaging would be to waste our limited strength attacking what is essentially a worthless target. What do you get from your efforts if you win? Nothing at all: no resources, no improvement in safety: remember, they'd be out of ammo and unable to create more. So what would the benefit be to get embroiled there?

Look at it this way: the loss of an indivdual soldier is very bad for the soldier, but doesn't effect the army much. You can feel bad for him and his family, but individually he doesn't make much difference. Nagasaki and Hiroshima were very bad for the Japanese who lived there, but the last time I checked, Japan was still in business.

You need to look at the larger picture to avoid large mistakes. Trying to punish North Korea for nuking us by taking over their country would be a very large mistake. I've fought those folks before, they are absolutely no fun and there's no reasoning with them.

If a rattlesnake bites me, I'm not going to go into a nest of them to punish the one who bit me: I'll take take of the wound, get antivenom, and be more careful in the future. So I stand by my assessment: Use a few cruise missiles to wreck the very few worthwhile targets, then ignore them.

[edit on 2-7-2009 by apacheman]

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by BLUE ARMS
They are fully aware that IF they 'push' their luck too far they will be Powderised without any protection from anyone (Russia, China, etc)

Remember People, "What goes around, comes around".

Kim is ill, and crazy... He knows he won't last long and he has delusions of grandeur, more so if he goes into history as the man who fired a nuclear missile into the U.S., and he is being helped by China, and Russia...

You want to ignore this and move along? go ahead. i'll rather stand on the side of caution when there is evidence to be cautious.

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 12:19 PM
link   

reply to post by miasria

Let's say there is a 50/50 chance that such a missile can reach the U.S.

Are you claiming you are willing to play Russian roulette with a crazy dictator that is getting help from Russia, and China?....

Lol, I personally believe that tey are not getting help from Russia and China, but that this is being made out early on, so they can turn around and say,

"Well, we thought it may be back then, but it wasn't a real threat, it was unsubstantiated"

I really do hope that I am wrong, otherwise things are going to get bad, like World War bad.

EMM

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 12:20 PM
link   

who are the enemies eu?

i am sorry, are you claiming The Communist dictatorship of NK is not an enemy of the U.S., Japan, and some other countries?...

I guess they are just playing around with missiles and nuclear weapons... yeah, that must be it... They are just "playing around"...

no, what i'm saying is that we have an "underlying" problem here...

another question.... who gets to play in the game of "playing around?" just the bigger ones... or can the little guys play too.

only trying to make a point here...

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by apacheman

However, I think you miss my point.

I did not miss your point. You made your statements very clear. You would rather allow NK to nuke the U.S., than us doing anything about it to stop them from doing so, and then after we are nuked you stated that "in order to save face" we should use some conventional weapons.

I did not miss your point at all.

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 12:23 PM
link   
reply to post by BLUE ARMS

Powderised? You're a real genius you know that! You think Russia, and China are just going to let the US nuke the crap out of NK right in their own back yard and deal with all the nuclear fallout? And I guess SK wouldn't be affected at all if we decided to "powderise" NK. You sound like a dumb teenager.

link   
im new here

and i hope they dont set off anything

or it could cause world war 3 !!

link   

another question.... who gets to play in the game of "playing around?" just the bigger ones... or can the little guys play too.

The U.S. is, or was not crazy enough to use nukes unless necessary. Kim is crazy, he is dying, and has the support of big players like Russia and China...

What point are you trying to make? That it is ok for a crazy Communist dictator to be able to reach the U.S. with nuclear weapons when he is dying, and he doesn't even care FOR HIS OWN PEOPLE?....

How much do you think he cares about the U.S., or about the opinions of the world when he doesn't give a damn about his own people and is starving them?...

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 12:24 PM
link   
i can almost assuredly state that one of those sattellites with awesome and precise capabilities... (i know, they use it on me) will shove him in the dirt before he lights the fuse.

they know when he's serious and when he's trying to explode a satellite into orbit. all this information coming out is .... the sky is falling.

if they nuke us it's our fault... we let him.

and if we let him... then we have an internal problem that must be dealt with. unless of course, we all wish to remain apathetic and spoonfed by the cia.

it's bad enough that they have to lie to the president... but us?

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 12:30 PM
link   

What if this is a ploy by Russia and China to further weaken the U.S.?

Always a possibility, but it isn't the Russians that have slowly been creeping onto American/NATO territory. As for the Economic crisis, I won't deny that Russians may have had a hand in it, note, Russians, not the Russians. For me, the people who do this are international, from many countries, intent on control, countries and nationalities mean nothing to them.

The Russian government, as well as the Chinese government want for a new World economy, dominated by a currency in which they both will be the mayor players/powers.

Yes they do, but so do NATO/US, in fact, the US has had it for the past 40-50 years, it is only now being 'reshaped'.

We know that mostly the Russians were behind Iraq WMD program, and they have been arming Iran alongside North Korea. The Chinese are doing the same but they are more careful than the Russians.

Lol, as far as I have read, the US/NATO armed Iran decades ago, Iran are now a part of the SCO, why shouldn't Russia hel it's allies? Would you raise this much noise over the US sending troops to the UK? As for North Korea, I'm not too sure, I'll have to get back to you on that one.

No, thank you, but..

The U.S. government fired John A. Shaw, who was Deputy Undersecretary of Defense for International Technology Security, and in a variety of other senior U.S. Government positions. Actually he was asked to resign, which is almost the same thing.

The reason given by the government for doing this was that Shaw "exceeded his authority in disclosing the information" about having found proof that the Russian government had moved Iraq's WMD.

Mr. Shaw was responsible for tracking Saddam Hussein's weapons programs before and after the 2003 liberation of Iraq. He stated in October 2004, March 2005, and again in February 2006 that it was the Russians who helped Saddam Hussein to "clean up" his weapons of mass destruction stockpiles "to prevent the United States from discovering them." [2]

In particular, on February 18, 2006, Shaw told a conference at The Intelligence Summit in Alexandria, Virginia, that "The short answer to the question of where the WMD Saddam bought from the Russians went was that they went" to Syria and the Beqaa Valley in Lebanon, Kenneth R. Timmerman reported February 19, 2006, in NewsMax. "They were moved by Russian Spetsnaz (special forces) units out of uniform, that were specifically sent to Iraq to move the weaponry and eradicate any evidence of its existence," Shaw said.

After accusing Russian GRU of helping Saddam to remove his WMD, Shaw was asked to resign for exceeding his authority in disclosing the information, a charge he called "specious." Shaw was forced out of office when his position was eliminated on December 10, 2004.[1], [2].

Shaw stated that he went public with his comments regarding Russia moving Iraq's WMD when he did to help George W. Bush who he felt was being "crucified" by the revelations that over 350 tons of explosives had gone missing in Iraq as a result of the U.S. invasion [3]. He said "If I had not had the openly hostile environment in [Pentagon public affairs], I would have moved the story differently. Getting the truth out instantly was more important than process."

en.wikipedia.org...

There were also other sources which corroborated what Shaw had to say. Even Saddam's second in command of Iraq's Air forces, Georges Sada, had also given testimony that he personally saw how planes were being converted to move WMD out of Iraq.

Former very high ranking Russian military defectors told us, before the war started, that Russia had plans in place to move WMD out of countries like IRaq when the U.S. got too close.

Not to mention that the U.S. DID NOTHING when we found proof that the Russian government was passing our troop movements and other secret information to Saddam's regime before and during the war in Iraq.

IMO, this is another ploy by Russia, and China to further weaken the U.S., and it is a serious threat either way, whether we do something about it, or we don't.

That is quite interesting, but it could be nothing more than propaganda, as far as I know, WMD's where never found in Iraq, they have never provided evidence of WMD's. I would like them to do this first, before I start pointing fingers at who made them and sold them.

Not saying your wrong, just that, to me, this seems more plausible.

EMM

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 12:31 PM
link   

The U.S. is, or was not crazy enough to use nukes unless necessary. Kim is crazy, he is dying, and has the support of big players like Russia and China...

What point are you trying to make? That it is ok for a crazy Communist dictator to be able to reach the U.S. with nuclear weapons when he is dying, and he doesn't even care FOR HIS OWN PEOPLE?....

How much do you think he cares about the U.S., or about the opinions of the world when he doesn't give a damn about his own people and is starving them?...

i don't care what the man thinks in all honesty. lots of people think we're full of #. the entire population.

the point i'm making is that we are on the verge of annihalation of the human species. i'm sick of the underlying, diabolic cesspool that is keeping mankind on the brink of disaster.

i don't trust much of what i hear, much less see anymore. much has become a massive, misinformation campaign.... universally.

i fall for it... you fall for it. you just did.

i'm tired of falling for it.

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 12:38 PM
link   
reply to post by apacheman

very nicely put

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 12:43 PM
link   
reply to post by ElectricUniverse

Sure did miss my point: I didn't say "allow" them to hit us. In the line immediately above the one you quoted, I said "by all means, stop them..."

What I'm saying is that retaliation isn't worth it.

And it isn't.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join