It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Town Officials Taking Pictures of Peoples Trash

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 09:48 AM
link   
This happened to me about 30 minutes ago. I was heading out to my car to grab something when a town official car rolls by following a man taking pictures of peoples trash cans and recycling bins. I hailed the driver and asked what he was doing. "Taking pictures of trash." I asked why, "Survey." I said ok... then asked if he could tell me more and he refused and told me to contact the town. So I thanked him and he went on his way, picking up the man who was taking the pictures and driving away pronto. So I grabbed the stuff I needed out of my car and headed inside, put on a jacket, got pen and paper and went outside to try and get the license plate number, successfully.

I called the Department of Public Works and asked what the deals was, and the man the on the other end sounded agitated at the question, told me it was a trash audit and quickly hung up.

Now, it's a plausible that this was a trash audit, but it does leave at least one question: Why did the man behind the wheel refuse to tell me the purpose of taking these pictures? If it's as simple as a trash audit why not just say so? Probably not a conspiracy, but seriously, wtf?

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 10:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Marius Blackwood

What is a trash audit? And what part of the world are you in?

That just seems bizarre, I've never heard of a trash audit. Hmmm.

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 10:09 AM
link   
This is just my guess but...

I suspect the men with the car taking pictures and the man on the phone felt that if you (or the town-folk at large) knew excatly what they were doing and why you might get ideas in your head that the town officals wouldn't want you to get.

You know - Ideas and questions like...

"You're doing What?!"
"Why?!"
"That isn't any of the town's business!!"
"How much money are you wasting doing this?!"
"How can you possibly think this is important when there are so many other things that need attention?!"

Likely they consider it far better if you don't know enough details to ask those kinds of questions - because if you knew the details you very well might start asking those questions.

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 10:46 AM
link   
In the north east US they are doing idiotic stuff like this to find out if people are recycling. If not, they tear open their trashbags and look for un recylcled trash. If they catch these super villians with tin cans and plastics in the trash they levy pretty heavy fines. G-d Bless Amerika!

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Since I work with people who take trash pictures, it could be any number of reasons.

For one, if someone is developign a rodent problem by leaving their trash out, not coverign it critters get in, create an odor problem, or any other kind of public nuisance it needs to be documented.

Depending on what your local legislation is, they may not say anything because it could be protecting a neighbor who made a complaint.

Is your trash uncovered? Overflowing? are you taking it out 2-3 days before trash day? are raccoons or rats getting in?

If it is public works, it could be that you are a repeat offfender of too much trash or bulky items.

Or they are simply redoing routes or recycling and are getting an idea of how much the average household is putting out these days.
If it is simply to measure output, people here to seem to have issues with costs, here comes my but.....

The cost of trash elimination is an ever growing, expensvie problem. They have to contract trucks out, they make deals with multiple landfills, and recycling centers.

people think that a county truck comes up and picks up your trash and just takes it to the local landfill. But there is actually a lot of wheelign and dealing. Those trucks could be going over a state away is another landfill is offering a better deal. Same with recycling centers.Landfills are extremely expensive to open, maintain and close. When a landfill is capped, it has to be monitored regularly for over 50 years. The insurance alone is staggering. They have to put muli million dollar, if not a billion, policy on it in case there is a problem.

So if that landfill should start filling up ahead of schedule, it is a serious problem.

Then you have to scout new land, fight the locals, build an extremely expensive landfill and work it for 100 years.

So it costs taxpayers quite a bit of money.
[edit on 2-7-2009 by nixie_nox]

[edit on 2-7-2009 by nixie_nox]

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 10:59 AM
link   
guess there are just the costs involved in living in a "free" society. guess there's only one thing i can say to this in the end...police yourselves or be policed. we've collectively chosen the latter.

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Thanks nixie_nox, quite informative. It is uncovered, but so is everyone elses on the block, and there is not an odor or rodent problem, at least that I'm aware of, but having lived on the street for 19 years, I think I'd get a whiff of it if something like that was up. Pun absolutely intended.

I live in Massachusetts, so maybe they are just being a little crazy, like the rest of the state. I just do not appreciate people taking pictures of my, and my neighbors, trash without permission, at a time when everyone is at work - it has sleazy written all over it.

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 01:30 PM
link   
O come on... stop trying to create more and more conspiracies..... you are just making yourselves very very paranoid!!

top topics

join