It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FBI Seeks Net Wiretapping Rights

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2004 @ 01:26 AM
link   
I read the following quote in the May issue of PC Magazine. I thought it was pretty interesting...

"For broadband users and providers, it's time to watch the watchers. The FBI, backed by the DOJ and the DEA, submitted an 85-page proposal to the FCC in March that would require broadband service providers to introduce architecture in their networks for enabling law enforcement the ability to eavesdrop. Experts say the proposal, if approved, could dramatically hinder existing and emerging technologies.

The proposal calls for giving police easy access to all forms of switched Internet communications, including communications via Voice over IP, instant messaging, cable modem, and DSL. It�s language implies that back doors should be integrated into both existing and new systems.

1994�s Communications Assistance for Law Enforcement Act (CALEA) established the current rules on wiretapping for telecommunications providers. The FBI proposal seeks to extend those rules to include broadband providers. And though, in many cases, CALEA requires police to seek court approval prior to wiretapping, the Bush Administration�s Patriot Act circumvents many of those restrictions.

Back in 1994, narrowband technology ruled, argues the proposal. �The movement toward packet-based networks� has already progressed far enough to have a serious impact on law enforcement�s ability to perform authorized electronic surveillance,� it says.

The proposal is available for viewing at the following address: www.cdt.org...

www.cdt.org...

I personally am against any kind of internet monitoring. The NSA has it all covered anyway, in my opinion. Why allow the FBI the authority to monitor also?

Mr. M

[Edited on 6-5-2004 by StarChild]

posted on May, 6 2004 @ 02:23 AM
link   
Does this have any relation to the Green Latern project I heard about last year or is this a revision of Carnivore?
Ever since the patriot act was passed all kinds of U.S. gov't folk want the ability to eavesdrop. If this sort of thing is passed, I would hate to say that most of the folks they are interested in would simply move onward in ways they haven't seen yet. I mean really, how hard would it be to create your own dial up networking protocal assuming you have the coding skills and reasonable knowledge of both modem and telephone communications. I think they are too late in trying something like this, they should have tried this in the early 90's. go fig.

posted on May, 6 2004 @ 02:44 AM
link   
I'm not familiar with those projects you refer to. Do you have a link to information pertaining to them?

Mr. M

posted on May, 6 2004 @ 06:16 AM
link   
check out some of the issues of 2600 last year.
www.2600.net...
Those things were being discussed at the time the
patriot act had been implemented and the DMCA was
giving folks headaches too. Unfortionately I haven't heard anything new about them. Carnivore was (afaik)
like a 'legalized' trojan for the authorities to use to observe your actions once they have an ip. Green Lantern is (akaik) some kind of packet analysizer or
traffic observation and control program for the gov't.
Stay tuned, if I can find out what issue specfically I will post here about it.

new topics

top topics

join