It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

*WHY* do you believe (or not believe) in a certain religion?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 08:57 PM
link   
This thread is not for me to flame any believers, but to get some real, personal answers.

Let me first say that I am not necessarily "atheist"...but every religion out there seems bogus to me, and if there was a "god", it wouldn't be like anything we would imagine.

Since it truly doesn't matter to me though, I usually just call myself atheist and move on with my life.

I uphold great moral values, while not perfect, better than many others out there.

The full teachings of the Bible, and other "peace" warriors such as Ghandi never indoctrinated me - but there are many quotes from each side that are valuable.

Let us get back to the primary point of this thread.

*WHY* do you believe in a religion? Why can't you just live your life with such good morals, and not dedicate your time to a superior god/being that you have no real proof that even exists?

One answer I am NOT looking for is faith. People have faith in many things and fail.

I could say I have faith in jumping off a bridge and living, because I KNOW what is going to happen.

Is it just family that passed it down to you? Would you even know what religion is if it was never spoken to you?

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 09:03 PM
link   
I personally dont follow any religion. I live my life the way I see fit and I dont feel someone else should tell me how to live it. I believe in the things I believe for my own reasons and well it's a mixture of many different religions. My mom was raised Catholic and she didnt like it so she never forced it on us. She wanted us to find our own way in the religious sense.

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 09:17 PM
link   
Alright, I will contribute.

*WHY* do you believe in a religion? Why can't you just live your life with such good morals, and not dedicate your time to a superior god/being that you have no real proof that even exists?

Personally, I looked at it this way. Even if I believe in evolution, creationism, or some mixture of both. Everything has a beginning and everything has an end. However, for that beginning to happen their must be some spark or some sort of giver of life. As we all know nature follows a rule:

Life gives Life.

An with that knowledge I come to the conclusion that Life must have been created by a living form, now that form can be a spirit or a physical body. I don't know what God looks like.

Why can't I just live my life with good morals? Well if morality was genetic or if it is part of nature, then I would say that God would not be needed for morality. However, morality must have been given from someone else to tell us how to live. We have a natural law or a natural genetic marker allowing us to have a basic sense of right and wrong, but as we grow we build foundations upon those basics from the creator, but its up to the parents the life givers to teach us that.

Why do I dedicate life to something that I cannot see? Well I cannot see air or oxygen, yet we have all these activists from cleaner air. Does that mean if we cannot see it that we have no proof that it is their. Even physics proves a higher being, physics proves their is a holder to the laws of the world. And those laws are given they do not just appear out of no where.

Is it just family that passed it down to you? Would you even know what religion is if it was never spoken to you?

Was it passed down to me? No it wasn't I found it on my own, which I think makes it all the more important. Probably would not know religion, but I would know of some sort of higher being or creator.

But hey thats what I believe, while it may differ from others, we all need to know we all have the same beginnings and whether we believe in Creation, evolution or a Mixture of both we are all brothers and sisters. We all originated from the same seed, we are all connected.

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 10:10 PM
link   
Everybody wants to be a part of something regardless of whether or not it is true. People are willing to deny themselves logic for something such as a fantasy life. There are many aspects to why people believe in religion and think it is the only way to have morals. One of those reasons is because the person was raised that way. Another reason could be because of fear or social status and more.

Everyday we see people justify lies to them self for whatever reason it may be. People want comfort over truth and religion is similar to an addiction you make excuses for and justify for your own personal comfort.

There is more to it and brainwash is the biggest factor. Ultimately no matter how justified everyone thinks their religion is, they are denying themselves reality for whatever reason it may be for them.

I could go on about religion forever and the reasoning behind it or the lack thereof but hopefully more people will wake up to the lies it spreads. I have had my years in religion and thankfully finally came to see the truth. I didn't want to accept it and it was hard but finally I realized I was just ignoring the truth. Denial, hope, fear, brainwash, family, friends, tradition are all tactics of organized religion, clustered by the sheepherders you call prophets who know how to control the weak minded.

By the way religion and god are 2 different things. God is some ones idea of a creator but religion is the many twisted opinions of what god is, even though we just don't really know what the hell god is. It's a vicious circle of inconsistencies and with 40,000 religions worldwide I really doubt any of them have it right. The very idea of god consists of the unexplained and by religion trying to explain something unexplained, twisted ideas are formed and followed regardless of their accuracy. I think when you push it down the best description for god is the unknown. Explain the unexplained and it will no longer be the unexplained but will turn into an opinion without proper evidence or knowledge, hence religion, faith etc...

Religion is a scourge and it infects the minds of the weak, wanting and the many.

Disagree? Anyone care to flame me, do it. You will only be justifying your own personal denial because deep inside you know something is up, but in order to live the fantasy you have to constantly convince yourself to believe or the walls of lies will erode. You won't be proving anything to me but to yourself. Think about it...

One of my favorite quotes is: "Why is there enough religion to incite war but not instill tolerance?"

[edit on 1-7-2009 by N3krostatic]

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 10:17 PM
link   
reply to post by TheMythLives

Ah - I have thought of those questions before.

This is my answer to your comments.

EVERYTHING in the universe has an answer that is *LOGICAL* besides these two options (which IMO are the explanations of where we came from, or how we originated).

The first one is this.

1. There is a creator.

But where did he come from? Why? How?

All that does is leave the same questions unanswered, or with more illogical answers.

That is besides my point - because my view on everything isn't logical as well.

2. Nature is a cycle - right? Well, maybe there will never be a start, and never will be an end. Everything has always been here, and time is just an illusion.

That leaves the same questions unanswered...BUT, the difference does not sit on the philosophical aspect, yet the actually details and actions that has happened in society.

Why would I want to pick the side that has been used to abuse society for so long? Cause wars, monarchs, prevent further education, shamble certain sexes, etc etc. You might claim that these are not the true followers - but the bible is a book crafted by humans. THESE are the consequences/cons (I realize there are pros too) of such religions, whether you had a part in them or not.

I see it causing more harm than good in todays society. Whether or not it is being used is not the case - it is the fact that it is one of the easiest tools for abuse out there in many countries.

Rhetorical questions aside - I have more "real" questions for you and those who wish to answer.

Why not just create your own set of beliefs? I will always celebrate Christmas - why? Because it is fun and a time of giving (and tradition for me).

I never wanted to go to church as a kid (even while in "religious class" that I dropped out of). Why would "God" want me spending all my time listening to some guy preach about him when I could be out living, playing with friends, swimming, whatever.

If you missed the Q....

Why not just create your own set of beliefs?

Feel free to respond to my comments - please do actually

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 10:22 PM
link   
reply to post by N3krostatic

I agree with you.

No need to be so aggressive though...it is already such a heated topic - no need to provoke random ramblings from others.

In my early teens, and most of my child hood, I find myself "trying" to fit in with many groups.

Only once I stopped caring who wanted to be my friend/peer/acquaintance, is when I truly started doing better in life all together.

Kinda goes like this...

When you are looking for the acceptance of others, you also risk denial.
When you accept yourself, there is no risk of denial.

A bit off topic - but somewhat along the lines of which you posted.

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 10:25 PM
link   
why don't you use the search engine before you post .this kind of crap just gets old.it's like you people are worried so much about it. do your own research till your satisfied. then shut up about it. or at least come up w/ something original.please if most of you brilliuant thinkers could see past the nose on your face, you just might catch a glimpse of why such
boundless intelligence might actually be a curse.

[edit on 1-7-2009 by randyvs]

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 10:31 PM
link   
reply to post by FritosBBQTwist

I have my own set of beliefs and I agree with your stated viewpoints. I also think some traditions are fine to keep also, as they are not detrimental. But there are more sheep than there are wolves. More would rather follow someone else's beliefs instead of thinking for them self. Thank society for that.

The thing is by nature most humans and parents etc have or feel the obligation to pass on knowledge and truth to their children, grandchildren, friends etc. The problem with that is every mans journey is his own and by not realizing that they shove their opinions down others throats creating false beliefs and traditions no matter how ridiculous they are.

How ironic that religion and politics is such a touchy subject huh? Always the need to have the other person see things like you. Why does certain shared beliefs create bonds and friends? I think it is because man is meant to be unified. This is what creates religion also but alas, most religions do not understand tolerance and do not understand what it means to respect others beliefs, which is why I am so adamant against religion. They want to throw rocks at me, by god I'll throw them back.

Ok you have obviously noted religion is a touchy subject for me. lol I think I'll go take a break.

Just bracing for the adamant religious foes about to enter and post or tell me how to be saved from their viewpoint.
Sorry if I set off your route with the thread.

Edit: Spelling was horrendous.

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 10:54 PM
link   
Was born into christian family, went to church till 15, when I started to make excuses to not be home on sunday, that worked, and I was able to pursue my own spiritualilty.

My mom works in bible store for 25 years, dad has degree in theology. He spent years going over some of the topics we discuss on a daily basis here at ATS, but there was no internet, and some topics were hard to approach other people about. The moment internet was public, we had access, we had the first computer at home, and had each newer version. I searched then and still search now for answers to God, and other various topics.

I have come to the conclusion (which is still evolving everyday) that Religion had its purposes in the past, it helped create bonds between peoples who might not have had the inclination. It help build civilizations and cities. But Religion, being what it is, also created much destruction and death to its followers and other innocents.

What bothered me about church when I was young, I did not know at the time, was that I was looking around at the world around me, and the people of all races living together, and I realized we no longer needed this THING we call religion. We have learned to live together, trade objects and food, trade knowledge and labor.

I believe that in the next generations, Religion will be a cultural nicnak that people maintain when they get together. But the power Religion had over its people will be gone. I see it losing its grasp on our necks.

I think free sharing of knowledge of literature, the basic sciences, survival techniques, are going to destroy the hold of Religion.

That does not mean God is not here. God is watching us. God is letting us figure it out on our own. God is not a being, God is not a man or woman, God just is. But that is not what the original question.

I just follow the basic commandments, i watch my back, I help people at random moments is my life. I dont hurt animals (huge cat fan myself) I love my parents, my friends and I tell them often. I still am not ignorant of the strange other humans that inhabit this earth. There is much variety in this place, and acknowledgement of this helps break most barriers that people have. I am known for being able to break up arguements between peoples. We need to all just learn to enjoy this life and the fact that there is a God, God is this place.

My religion.. Myoism?????

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 11:38 PM
link   
I don't believe in any religion that puts limits on you. So that basically checks off the most popular ones. I have seen things that make me realize how infinite existence is, to put limits on any aspect of our being is truly sad. One thing I am ashamed of my species here on earth is that we really are easily brainwashed into thinking the stupidest things when we have the potential to be great, but unfortunately that potential is just sitting there just so those that know better can take advantage of it.

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 11:52 PM
link   
Born into a family where there was no practiced religion.

Mother was born and raised Catholic, went to Parochial school, but hasn't practiced beyond that that I know of. I didn't grow up with her beyond annual summer visitations, so I cant say if she would have influenced me one way or the other.

Father was also raised Catholic, but never practiced, and, to the best of my knowledge, we have never even broached the subject of religion.

Step-mother is/was a practicing Wiccan. This is the first religion that really caught my attention, as there are so many sects within Wicca, its somewhat easier to find a more comfortable faith than most standard Judeo-Christian religions.

The only real exposure I've had to church, beyond attending some Christmas programs with my family over the years, was in my younger years with my baby-sitter bringing me to church when she would watch me on Sundays, but at the time I was far to young to grasp alot of the concepts, and most kids believe their immortal anyway, so who needs religion!

As it stands now, I would consider myself an Atheist more than anything, possibly borderline Agnostic.

I'm envious of people with true belief and faith in their chosen religion. I would love to know, the way they seem to, that there is something after this life, and that its not just, "good game, thanks for playing". I would love to know that there is some benevolent being that is constantly looking after us, and loves us unconditionally.

The problem is for me, and this is probably going to sound selfish, is that I require something more tangible than the words written in a book(s) to base my belief system on. Its a bit more involved than that, but that's the gist of it.

As for my personal lifestyle, yes, I occasionally ask for help from some higher being, hence my statement about borderline Agnostic above, and sometimes those things I ask for help on end up working out in the best way possible, other times its the worst outcome imaginable for the given situation.

I hold myself to a pretty strict set of morale standards. I wouldn't say their superior, or better, than anyone elses, its just how I feel life should be lived. I have a great respect for life in almost all forms. (Insects are the only exception, but they're also the only ones that try to suck my blood).

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 12:27 AM
link   
reply to post by N3krostatic

Should throw finances in there as well

It is strange you say that though.

Such touchy subjects...could it be that there is no right answer in such subjects?

Think about it...all the different religions, the different political ideologies...maybe it isn't the system that matters, yet how you apply it.

One of my own philosophies on life is that the ONLY way to explain things is using logic - yet logic can be changed as a world/society.

I share the same "upbringings" and views as many of you...while religion is a touchy subject, I think we are mature enough at ATS to discuss it

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 12:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by randyvs
why don't you use the search engine before you post .this kind of crap just gets old.it's like you people are worried so much about it. do your own research till your satisfied. then shut up about it. or at least come up w/ something original.please if most of you brilliuant thinkers could see past the nose on your face, you just might catch a glimpse of why such
boundless intelligence might actually be a curse.

[edit on 1-7-2009 by randyvs]

Ah but you see, in all the other threads it people saying the same thing over and over and over and over.

No one ever talks about why they are like that.

Worried about it? Can't have a decent conversation unless the pope himself decides to allow it? Or if a giant volcano explodes?

Everyone so far has been quite calm so like I always say...either contribute to the thread, or truly show us that you do not care and stop posting.

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 01:20 AM
link   
I don't believe in any religion. I was raised catholic, but I'd always wondered if a god was actually real. Since I couldn't sense him, I couldn't figure out why I had to believe in him. I can't believe in something that doesn't have any proof of existence.

Now that I'm older and aware of more religions, I feel that it's really stupid for someone to pick one over the other. None of them can be proven.

If I had to pick one to be real though, I'd go with Norse Paganism. That'd be pretty awesome I think. Ragnarok, the hot Aesir babes, Valhalla, all of it.

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 01:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by N3krostatic
There is more to it and brainwash is the biggest factor. Ultimately no matter how justified everyone thinks their religion is, they are denying themselves reality for whatever reason it may be for them.

Yeah, that's it right there, isn't it. Brainwashing. Indoctrination. Programming.

This came up as a topic elsewhere once, in conjunction is patriotism. Someone said "I am proud to be an American." And my response was is that they really weren't an American, they were just programmed to believe they are one. Fact is, few people are truly who they REALLY are. They are merely acting according to how they were programmed. As an example of what I mean is suppose YOU were exchanged at birth with a muslim extremest baby. Now, instead of growing up to be programmed to love your way of life as an American, you could have just as easily been programmed to HATE that which you say you love right now. FACT!

To really know who you REALLY are, and what you really think on your own, and to know the real truth, you MUST deprogram yourself .. deprogram yourself from being a patriot, and a religious make-believer, and all that stuff that was shoved into your head since birth. Most people are simply repeating the rhetoric that they were programmed with, and had they been programmed differently they would be waving a different flag and worshiping a different spook.

You must deprogram the ego and toss away all that indoctrination and programming if you ever hope to see and know the truth and know the true YOU ... and not that programmed you! Short of that, most people are just acting like programmed robots that repeat the rhetoric that was stuffed into their noodle. Had someone not programmed GOD into your head, you wouldn't be believing in and repeating any of that dogma. Same with patriotism and a whole lot of other things which people BELIEVE they are, but they really aren't. FACT!

To know the real you and the truth, you must deprogram yourself of all those beliefs .. only then will you be able to see the truth and who you really are.

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 11:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Divinorumus

I wish I could give you 50 stars.

Sad thing is, that is how our society is run.

Politics, religion, class system.

No one sees that there are more options.

Many people take their families political side, religion, and continue their "job".

It is not that I am against people choosing what they do, but I feel that they do not have their eyes open to all of the real possibilities out in the world. THAT, is what I am against.

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 11:49 AM
link   
reply to post by FritosBBQTwist

My answer is simple.

I'm not jaded or conceded enough to think that I, a most insignificant being in the grand scheme of things, has any idea what the grand scheme of things is.

Believe in God, or religion, entails that you know how it works, all of.

To me it's just arrogant to think that. So I preach the gospel of I don't Know, and go about my life in that way. I don't think as humans we are meant or are equipped to find the answers to those questions that religion presents us with.

I mean, come on, what would be the point of the journey if you already knew what was waiting at the finish line?

In any case, I only have about 50 years before I find out.

Edit To Add: And the modern religions are all corrupt beyond repair as far as I am concerned, which my proxy means I would be somewhat corrupt for aiding their agenda.

~Keeper

[edit on 7/2/2009 by tothetenthpower]

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 12:03 PM
link   
I believe in God for the simple fact I asked God one night to prove to me He was real and actually communicates with people. I needed proof. I was lying on the beach at Surf City, NC, looking up at a cloudless sky staring at the stars when small clouds formed a face around a few brighter stars that appeared to me to be eyes with eyebrows a nose mouth chin and ears. I was scared and ashamed so I rolled over face in dirt and cried. Thats only one instance of several that He answered me. I dont need a pastor or church or bible or any of you to confirm He exists. If I was the only man alive who believed in Him I would do so proudly. I do not go to church. I do not have friends who talk about Him. I believe because He has shown me He is real and the peace I get after I talk or pray to Him is undescribable. You may say it is a state of mind but I choose to believe in Him. I am cautious of the Bible since its been translated and probably edited but there is enough wisdom there to keep me sane, secure, and happy.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 12:17 PM
link   
And when someone tries to say I am not in touch with reality or brainwashed or there is no God I actually get a feeling of satisfaction and a confirmation that He is real and alive and here among us. If He was not then so many people who do not believe would not put forth such an effort to disprove His existence. Why waste your time on a believer if what they believe in is in your opinion unrealistic? You are the same naysayers that have plagued followers of Christ since his birth and further prove He did and still does exist. You are part of the Anti-Christ movement. You just dont have the guts to say it. But do not take my words to heart. If He is just a thought then no need to ever mention Him again. Yet you will. Prove me wrong. Never speak of God or religions from this day forward. I will keep an eye out for your future posts; and once again you will confirm His existence. I thank you in advance for your confirmation and lack of steadfastness.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 01:43 PM
link   
I'm sure this is accurate:

EVERYTHING in the universe has an answer that is *LOGICAL*

Phsyics proves that things are illogical, we do not know how gravity works. Infact gravity should not exist, but for some reason it is here on earth. No logical answer why or how its works, just the simple fact that it does work.

But where did he come from? Why? How?

Well we do not know where we came from. Or why or how. Creation and evolution do not answer these questions either. Hell we could have come into existance from Papa smurf who farted and the debris from his fart created the galazy. We just do not know.

Nature is a cycle - right? Well, maybe there will never be a start, and never will be an end. Everything has always been here, and time is just an illusion.

If this is accurate, then why can't God have been here also? But I am not sure nature is a cycle, for instance things are meant to die in nature. Its common fact and necessary for this happen. Everything has a beginning and an end. Nature proves this as well and so do the cosmos and our cycle of life. I agree with you on time, time is very inaccuarte and chances are time does not exist, but was created for the purpose of keeping our heads sane.

Can you imagine this:

"Meet me when the sun is perpendicular to the tallest tree over their."

And it rains...lol.. you can't see the sun so you do arrive. Time is only here to keep us sane.

Why would I want to pick the side that has been used to abuse society for so long?

Pick a side? Interesting, when was it that beliefs could harm someone or abuse them? Sounds like human action that does that.

Cause wars, monarchs, prevent further education, shamble certain sexes, etc etc. You might claim that these are not the true followers - but the bible is a book crafted by humans. THESE are the consequences/cons (I realize there are pros too) of such religions, whether you had a part in them or not.

Humans cause wars, humans prevent further education, humans shamble sexes, etc, etc. They are not the true believers, they can follow what they like and claim that what they are doing is justified, but that is not the TRUTH that is their perception and opinion, while it is twisted thats why we have rights. The books of religions and especially the bible which is a unique book in itself. And is very complex and their are at least 5 sides of how you can interpret it. Luckily I know all the sides and it really depends on how you view or interpret the bible, their are more than 5 ways and some believe it because they view it differently then someone else.

I see it causing more harm than good in todays society. Whether or not it is being used is not the case - it is the fact that it is one of the easiest tools for abuse out there in many countries.

No, no, no religion does not kill people. People kill people.

Why not just create your own set of beliefs?

Beliefs are learned not created, thats why faith is required to back up the beliefs of what you are learning. Jesus did not create a faith, he built upon the natural laws of the world and God and taught us. It was up to him to spread it and up to us to accept it or not. And when someone takes what they have learned and molded it society and the elite of today we get this:

Scientology.

[edit on Jul 2nd 2009 by TheMythLives]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join