What is the US/Coalition legacy in Iraq?

page: 1

join

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 05:26 PM
link   
So, the US has formally pulled out of Iraqi cities into rural bases. As reported by Reuters.

Kurdish, Shi'ite and Sunni Arab politicians, who rarely agree on anything, saw the step as necessary but warned that militants would try to exploit any security gap.

Hours after Iraqis celebrated "Sovereignty Day," declared a national holiday, a car bomb killed 34 people in a Kurdish district of the ethnically mixed northern city of Kirkuk.

Now I know that among us conspiracy theorists there is a general feeling that Iraq ws just an oil grab.

We must remember that more than 4,000 US servicemen have lost their lives in iraq, and hundreds of other coalition foreces have paid the ultimate price.

If the security was the main issue for the invasion in 2003 would the US be pulling out now? Since it's clearly still not safe there, demonstrated by the bomb blast on the day of the pullout.

Is this just Obama trying to compromise on one of his Campaign promises, a pullout to rural bases with the intention of 'supervising' Iraqi forces better than no withdrawal at all?

But I want you to have a look at this:

Shell-led Consortium Bids For Kirkuk Oil Field-Iraq Oil Min

BAGHDAD (Dow Jones)--Royal Dutch Shell PLC (RDSA) has teamed up with China Petroleum & Chemical Corp. (SNP), China National Petroleum Corp. and Turkish national oil company TPAO to bid for the Kirkuk oil field in the first round of auctions for eight oil and gas fields in Iraq, Iraqi Oil Minister Hussain al-Shahristani said Tuesday.

The consortium is seeking $7.89 for each extra barrel of oil produced and intends to increase output at the field to 800,000 barrels a day.

The Iraqi Oil Ministry is offering $2 a barrel produced.

The consortium is consulting and will make a decision later Tuesday.

-By Hassan Hafidh, Dow Jones Newswires

Now considering that Bloomberg quote oil at approx $69 a barrel, I can safely say that there are some poor folk in Iraq getting ripped off with this auction.

So what is the US legacy in Iraq, I know this thread is a bit messy, but as citizens of the US and the World, what do you personally think the occupation of Iraq will be remembered for by the history books?

[edit on 1-7-2009 by kiwifoot]

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 06:34 PM
link   
reply to post by kiwifoot

The Coalition's legacy will be that of foreign invaders looking to protect their nations various oil investments the poor military guys that are there are simply glorified security guards,same as the guys up in Afghanistan but that's another topic for another day.

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 07:10 PM
link   
There was not a single suicide bombing until we went over there.

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 08:36 PM
link   
reply to post by JalZhaunlUss

That seems to be true, for most Iraqis, it was better under Saddam. It seems the occupation brought the vote, and violence too.

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 09:25 PM
link   
We took control of the country of Iraq from the previous regime and gave it to the people. The legacy of our efforts is now up to the people of Iraq. Is it a better place than it was before?

****Discliamer: I did not support the invasion of Iraq.****

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 03:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by tamusan
We took control of the country of Iraq from the previous regime and gave it to the people. The legacy of our efforts is now up to the people of Iraq. Is it a better place than it was before?

****Discliamer: I did not support the invasion of Iraq.****

Don't kid yourself. They didn't give control of the country to the people of Iraq. They deposed a regime that was hostile to the US interests in the region and replaced it with one that is friendly.

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 03:37 AM
link   
you seem to have forgotten up to 100,000,000 innocent Iraqis lost their lives, for the crime of simply being Iraqi's

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 05:03 AM
link   
reply to post by kiwifoot

Few people seem to realize that the answer to your question does not yet have a complete . Iraq is now entering the crucial period where by the country's survival as a democracy comes down to the quality of the Iraqi army , local security forces and the Iraqi government . Providing all the things I have just mentioned continue to improve then Iraq stands a reasonable chance of becoming a successful democracy .

Cheers xpert11 .

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 09:35 AM
link   
Ok...

"pulling out"... the US has over a dozen deep desert bases in Iraq. These are never mentioned, but are fully staffed and maintained. These are permanent bases.

Then again, there's the issue of "contractors" (=mercenaries). The announcement doesn't mention them. Mercenaries have taken over more and more of the duties previously performed by soldiers.

So the US is not pulling out, and any moves to show they are are cosmetic.

As for the legacy...

Can I briefly make a plea for people to get their damn facts straight? A hundred million Iraqis killed? Iraq's entire population, pre-invasion, was somewhere in the low 30 millions, maybe 33-34 million. I don't disagree with the point that was being made... which makes it all the more annoying because by putting up an inaccurate fact you destroy the argument.

So, estimates differ but it's safe to say over ONE million (NOT a hundred million) people have been killed since the invasion. There's also estimates of 2-3 million who have become refugees. That's easily ten percent of the population either killed or displaced.

Another aspect of the legacy which shouldn't be left out is depleted uranium. Thanks to the good efforts of our troops Iraq is now polluted with the stuff, which will stay around for hundreds of thousands of years. DU not only has a very long half-life, it's also extremely toxic. The two factors together cause hideous birth defects. The US stood by while the health ministry and many hospitals in Baghdad were looted in the early days of the occupation. The cynics at the time said this was to get rid of previous health statistics so you couldn't show a huge spike in birth defects. I pretty much agree with that.

The corporations have of course paid for the war and want to influence its outcome. Monsanto have managed to make it mandatory for Iraqi farmers to buy their seed, which, unlike more natural kinds, cannot be re-seeded so farmers have to buy from Monsanto every year. There are many other similar provisions that mean that Iraq has basically been split open like a pinyata for the corporations.

Then of course there's the sectarian conflict. Contrary to the images pumped out by the media, sectarian conflict was a dead issue under Saddam. It's important to recognise that there may have been tribal conflicts that broke down somewhat on sectarian lines, but this is coincidental to some extent.

Riverbend, the Iraqi girl blogger, said that it was hardly ever spoken about before the invasion. Her family, among many others, had married across sectarian lines.

But after an announcement from Sunni and Shia leaders in early summer 2003 that their flocks should unite to resist the invaders, US and UK forces began a campaign to sow dissent. There followed mosque bombings and of course the incident in which two UK soldiers were arrested by Iraqi police because they were driving a car full of explosives and dressed in Arab garb.

Shortly after that, John Negroponte, architect of death squads throughout central America, showed up: and shortly after that, the death squads showed up: people "dressed as police" would show up and take people away and shoot them.

"Dressed as police"... no, they were police.

Iraq was a very secular place before the invasion. Riverbend's blog contains a really depressing entry where she tries to get her old job back as a computer tech. There are new people in charge and women are no longer able to work there. She also says that whereas before the invasion women could walk the streets dressed in Western clothes and bareheaded, after the occupation had been in place a few months, zealot thugs harassed and physically hurt women who dared to do so.

This is all just scratching the surface. But a brief and incomplete list of the legacy ought to include the following:

• killing or displacing 10% of the population
  • polluting the country with DU
  • destroying a functioning economy
  • stealing the oil
  • giving corporations control over the Iraqi people
  • reintroducing death squads
  • fomenting sectarian violence
  • vandalism and destroying infrastructure
  • creating a situation that allows fundamentalists to acquire power
  • ruining any progress women made over the past 30 years.

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 05:38 PM
link   
reply to post by rich23

pulled out of Iraqi cities into rural bases

See, I didn't say they were pulling out of Iraq!

As for the rest of your post, well said, I agree!

History books, as long as they aren't written by the same folk who carried out this occupation, will judge us hard for this.

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by woodwardjnr
you seem to have forgotten up to 100,000,000 innocent Iraqis lost their lives, for the crime of simply being Iraqi's

Really? That many? Sorry, Gus, gonna have to ask for a source for that figure.

But before you do, give these sources a quick read:

www.abcnews.go.com...

www.timesonline.co.uk...

hotair.com...

top topics

join