It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Military Invades U.S. Schools: How Military Academies Are Being Used to Destroy Public Education

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 10:51 PM
link   

Nope, I disagree. There are so many degrees of control, and in reality none of us have much control over our lives....but we do have more control than someone sitting in a sweatshop, granted.

Otherwise it's just luxury Western Idealistic Claptrap.

Another name for it might be the indomidable American spirit.
I'm just sayin'

...but I will agree that Bobby sounds like a prat....and if he's only going to insinuate that he has special knowledge, like some kind of brag, without adding any context or information, then he's in the wrong forum

[edit on 1-7-2009 by aorAki]

[edit on 1-7-2009 by aorAki]

Aw c'mon, he's fun to read. Heck, he could be part of the Obama administration for all we know. . .

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 11:08 PM
link   
This is terrible! Children are so easy to mold when they're younger. To teach them how to kill at a young age will leave them with no empathy. We're destroying youth.

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 11:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by nickman534
This is terrible! Children are so easy to mold when they're younger. To teach them how to kill at a young age will leave them with no empathy. We're destroying youth.

The five years I spent in military school and not one day did they teach me to kill.

-damn-

I did get a great education, was in excellent physical shape, was taught discipline, respect, honour, manners.
Was even on the golf team, tennis team, and played second base on the baseball team.
I learned how to pilot a piper cheroke 140.

And yet no one there taught me how to kill.

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 11:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by mikerussellus

I'm disappointed.
How dare they smash my preconceptions in one fell swoop like that?!

So how did you learn how to kill?

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 11:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by aorAki

I'm disappointed.
How dare they smash my preconceptions in one fell swoop like that?!

So how did you learn how to kill?

George Patton was giving a briefing to his men one morning before a battle. He simply came out and said, "The object to winning is not to die for your country. It's to make the other son of a bitch die for his."

For your information, though, I actually had to enlist to learn how to shoot, to fight.
And to make the other son of a bitch die.

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 11:30 PM
link   
reply to post by mikerussellus

I am glad you had a good school career. Do you think though, that if you had gone to a good public school that had quality teachers and programs that you also would have developed comparable skills. Maybe not the same ones, but at the same level.

M

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 11:36 PM
link   
reply to post by morefiber

Possibly. I'm fortunate though. Prior to military school (I went because they had a student pilot program and I wanted to learn how to fly) I went to private school. Never had much experience with public schools. But I did have good teachers. My brother went to private school and did quite well.

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 11:41 PM
link   

Thanks for the input. I teach, so these issues interest me. There is no doubt there are some entrenched issues with public schools in the U.S., but there are some good public schools out there too.

M

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 11:48 PM
link   
reply to post by morefiber

I taught for two years in public schools. Saw a difference. I don't envy the challenges you face.

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 11:54 PM
link   

Thanks, the breaks keep me sane. I am pretty much done for today.

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 12:09 AM
link   
I believe these schools would beat any public school the US has around now. Both sides have legitimate arguments. On the one side, these schools would teach kids discipline, manners, survival, and a whole bunch of useful subjects.
On the other hand, it could be a tactic used to get the upper hand in case of a "the people vs the government" situation.

To me, personally, I believe these schools are a great idea and should be around more. At the same time, it should be heavily watched by random people with degrees and many different ideologies. You do not want these
kids brain washed and turning on you if the time ever came for a backlash against the government.

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 01:39 AM
link   

I am a product of a military academy. It taught me discipline, respect, kept me active, healthy, I got my pilots license at the age of 16, it taught me to budget my money, not to break laws, manners, sports, accepting people for who they are (not by what they look like).

I have taught in the public school system. It stinks. It is a breeding ground for political ideologies. You aren't allowed to discipline the students. Most teachers are held hostage every day in their classrooms.

I know this may not be a popular position to take, but I'd be happy to debate said topic.

I too was a Teacher and many High Schools had ROTC in addition to having recruiters come by and give a presentation about the career opportunites their are in anyone of the branches of the Military depending on which branch the recruiter represented.

The presentations were always good and many students benefit from being shown some of the training they offer. It might not be for everyone but I have never met many veterans that didn't say it was one of the few things they had done in there lives they didn't regret and a great many more saying if they had to live theor life over they would have joined again. Albeit perhaps as an Officer over an enlisted man this time = )

What I will say about the OP suggesting this is a bad thing?

I chuckled at that, especially knowing what our public schools are doing to Americas youth. The Garbage they are learning in schools prepares them for only one vocational career, that of,

Village Idiot

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 01:55 AM
link   

-sigh-

And you are the people my brothers, sisters and I are trying to protect.

With many risking their own lives to do it.

As an American Veteran I am embrarrased for that persons comment but it shows us just the kind of mentality we have as a product coming out of our public schools. I see them stress learning "tolerance" and what the gay and lesbian lifestyle is about more than math and science.

Parents have no say about it either with the exception of yanking the kids out and home schooling them or sending them to private schools.

The Public School system is a pathetic joke and those of you siding with the OP scremaing about brainwashing them, ha ha what do you think, they aren't being brainwashed now?

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 06:41 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 07:43 AM
link   
Mindless patriotism - has there ever been a better religion for getting people to kill each other?

Just tell one guy - "Those people HATE your country!" And wow - off they go to kill them, even though they don't know a damned thing about anything.

American public schools have been ruined systematically by design - that is why military college looks so good - because they have discipline, where it has been with held in every other area - from parents and schools.

Discipline is necessary for children - but if you need to go to a military college to get it - then your country truly is screwed.

This move is just another way of turning your country into a fascist state - and you can see for some - it can't come fast enough. Love to go kill innocent people for profit? oh yeah.

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 01:25 PM
link   
The armed forces do not choose ware they go, they are sent. Soldiers I have spoken to all say the majority of people the majority are happy were there. Remorse for civilians but none for the people sent who didn’t come back in a lot of these posts. Tears on both sides. I think it’s good there in schools before 7th I think is to early stay 8th and above as other posters has already said they can provide structure that at todays level public schools cannot.

Be mad at the people who start wars not brothers, sisters, fathers, mothers and friends who are told ware to go to fight them.

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 01:45 PM
link   
oh well look at the numbers!
en.wikipedia.org...

but to be honest i dont care, 1 man dead was to many.

wikipedia is a really bad source to quote, anyone can right anything and put it into wikipedia. You really show your ignorance by using such a unreliable source, for your argument.
We still have a voluntary military. so having them in schools in only giving the kids the option. Like football, no every male in school plays football but they have the option to try out and play. Should we outlaw football?

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 01:54 PM
link   

I have taught in the public school system. It stinks. It is a breeding ground for political ideologies.

...and Military Academies aren't?

Give me a break.

I think this is a very dangerous precedent.

actually no they aren't. During the election time, we were told to NOT talk about either canidate or even the election in general. Believe it or not, the military is pretty much politically neutral. We do the will of the President, we vote. We defend your right to vote. i hear more politics at at&t, my day job, than i ever have in the reserves. Its hard to be political when your primary concern is learning your job, so you can stay alive when you in the sandbox. who cares about any polictician when your sweating your ass off.

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 02:02 PM
link   
You are right "we" aren't killing them. It's the Fascist American and NATO soldiers there that are raping and killing the people because they have been so dumbed down and brainwashed.

ANYONE who joins the military has or will have something mentally wrong with them. You are volunteering to kill people. This is the mentality of a total psycho.

Are you totally ignorant as to what really happens in the military? i have never met anyone with higher standards, morals and ethics than in the military. No one in the military WANTS to kill anyone. Most people in the military will go their whole career without ever having to fire a shot. Its the SF guys, Army grunts and Marines that have the highest chance to get into combat and they have ROE they have to go by or they go to jail. The Air Force Academy creedo is "We do not lie, cheat or steal or tolerate anyone who does". How many here fit that? How many here know someone who cheated, stole or lied and they didn't say anything. When i'm on base, i have no problem leaving my car unlocked or my windows open. i have 4 more classes and i have my assoc. i didn't have to do anything to get it, just do my job. All the classes i've been to for the 2 jobs i've held, so far, got me enough credits to get a assoc in applied sciences. Trust me, joinind the military reserves was the best thing i could have ever done.

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by manmaidslave

Are you totally ignorant as to what really happens in the military? i have never met anyone with higher standards, morals and ethics than in the military. No one in the military WANTS to kill anyone. Most people in the military will go their whole career without ever having to fire a shot. Its the SF guys, Army grunts and Marines that have the highest chance to get into combat and they have ROE they have to go by or they go to jail. The Air Force Academy creedo is "We do not lie, cheat or steal or tolerate anyone who does". How many here fit that? How many here know someone who cheated, stole or lied and they didn't say anything. When i'm on base, i have no problem leaving my car unlocked or my windows open. i have 4 more classes and i have my assoc. i didn't have to do anything to get it, just do my job. All the classes i've been to for the 2 jobs i've held, so far, got me enough credits to get a assoc in applied sciences. Trust me, joinind the military reserves was the best thing i could have ever done.

Bravo! and star for you, for saying what I had mentioned earlier the sentiments of having joined the military being one of the best life choices we can ever make. I am jealous their is so much more professionalism and higher standards of personal conduct than when I was in.

I did my six years and that provided for all my college and even a trade school. It gave me something called confidence and honor. It showed me I can do things I had not thought possible introducing a part of me to myself I wouldn't have had the guts to explore had it not been for the disciplined training I got in the military.

Ill take a graduate from a military school to get the job done and done right over any one of these politically correct metrosexuals who tolerate everything but the icons of religion while they texting their gonads to everyone on the planet with their parents wondering why their kids naked pictures are all over the internet after they commit suicide for being teased.

You get a thicker skin in the military and you don't impose your sexuality on others to see whether or not it is tolerable. You keep your personal stuff personal because it is none of our business and to explain that in a politically correct way in an environment where bullets are known to be aimed at you, takes to much damn time and may get ya killed concering yourself with how hateful and full of bigotry you are for being concise.

You respect EVERYONE is what you are taught and you don't test those ideas to find out how you are going to be accepted by those who do not share in the personal confusions one has on his own time.

It is undeniably proven the track records of private school, home school and military schools DESTROY the public school systems in getting kids prepared for an uncertain future by teaching them HOW to think and,

not WHAT to think

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join