It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Military Invades U.S. Schools: How Military Academies Are Being Used to Destroy Public Education

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 05:14 PM
link   

The Military Invades U.S. Schools: How Military Academies Are Being Used to Destroy Public Education

www.blacklistednews.com

In Chicago, there's a push to replace public schools with military academies. This model may soon spread to the rest of the country.

For the past four years, I have observed the military occupation of the high school where I teach science. Currently, Chicago's Senn High School houses Rickover Naval Academy (RNA). I use the term "occupation" because part of our building was taken away despite student, parent, teacher and community opposition to RNA's opening
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 05:14 PM
link   
To me it seems this is the new tactic for military recruiting in the U.S. There is an unpopular war on, and this is how the military is trying to keep the ranks staffed. I remember after viet nam to get people back in the military after the draft ran out, they started a missive advertising campaign, as well as bonuses for fields where they needed people the most. Now it seems they are just going after people while they are still in high school.

www.blacklistednews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 05:28 PM
link   
I am a product of a military academy. It taught me discipline, respect, kept me active, healthy, I got my pilots license at the age of 16, it taught me to budget my money, not to break laws, manners, sports, accepting people for who they are (not by what they look like).

I have taught in the public school system. It stinks. It is a breeding ground for political ideologies. You aren't allowed to discipline the students. Most teachers are held hostage every day in their classrooms.

I know this may not be a popular position to take, but I'd be happy to debate said topic.

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 05:31 PM
link   
dude its not just high school´s in my jr. sr. high (7th to 12th grade) they would have a recruiter out every other week. it sickens me to see them spread their propaganda to 7th graders..

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 05:31 PM
link   
post removed because the user has no concept of manners

Click here for more information.

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 05:33 PM
link   
post removed because the user has no concept of manners

Click here for more information.

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by danishD
dude its not just high school´s in my jr. sr. high (7th to 12th grade) they would have a recruiter out every other week. it sickens me to see them spread their propaganda to 7th graders..

Better a recruiter than a drug dealer.

IMHO

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 05:34 PM
link   
I think this is good for kids who have problems. I think if kids in public school have bad enough problems they should send them there, until they don't have those problems then sent back to public school. This is also good for private options. But it should not be required for public school students.

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 05:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Paveway27

see the recruiter cant even read. a JR. SR. high, its a school where we got both a high school and a juinor high school, (we only had 600 kids)

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 05:37 PM
link   
reply to post by mikerussellus

well killing 1 million people in iraq, or shooting a line of coke once in a while?
i would go for the coke

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by walsbg22
I think this is good for kids who have problems. I think if kids in public school have bad enough problems they should send them there, until they don't have those problems then sent back to public school. This is also good for private options. But it should not be required for public school students.

I didn't see anywhere where this is mandated, or manditory. I believe the option is avaliable. That's all.

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 05:38 PM
link   
reply to post by danishD

Alright well your a coke .. Your in JR.SR. High School, its the same thing. And I am no recruiter, I make real bombs, not the crap you children play with.

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 05:38 PM
link   

They should be able to recruit 12th graders to military and govt jobs, job fares should be used for those and other jobs.

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 05:40 PM
link   
reply to post by danishD

As for killing 1 million people, its not even close to that number. But you had any clue what it was like over there like I do, well I wish it was way higher then that.

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 05:42 PM
link   

oh well look at the numbers!
en.wikipedia.org...

but to be honest i dont care, 1 man dead was to many.

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 05:43 PM
link   

you know insulting people left and right won't make people agree with you you know

hmmm, same thing goes with war I guess
you can't have peace through occupation

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 05:43 PM
link   

well killing 1 million people in iraq, or shooting a line of coke once in a while?
i would go for the coke

Where do you get that? If you want to debate, fine. If you're going to spout tripe, then go play a game, watch tv, do whatever. This is a site for honest debate, not rhetoric with no basis in fact.

And if supporting your country is so terrible, that your only option is to do drugs, then you need some serious help child!

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 05:44 PM
link   

i would go for the coke

Dude its not even that close for civilians. www.iraqbodycount.org... By the way they want a democracy, poll by BBC said majority wants democracy.

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 05:45 PM
link   
I think military recruiters should not be allowed on high school campuses, simply because the vast majority of high school students are minors, and they shouldn't be exposed to such coercion before they are mature enough to make such decisions for themselves. College night (or a similar event) is one thing, but when military recruiters are there every day (like at my high school), or they take over part of the school itself, there is a conflict of interest.

To give an example of how far military recruiting has gone down here in Florida, when my little brother was in middle school they had a career day. He came home from it with a bunch of Navy pamphlets, a hat and a poster. I asked him if he was interested in going into the navy and he said 'No, but they gave these to everyone'. In middle school! These kids are 12-15 years old, and they are already targets for recruiters.

In my highschool, quite a few years ago the recruiters would drive this big H2 onto campus (it was just when those models were introduced, and they were the 'hip thing'). They had spinners on it, and would blast rap music out the back of it all day long while they sat at recruitment tables. Not only was it annoying as hell, but a completely lame attempt at luring kids into signing their lives away to the military.

I don't really have a problem with JROTC, because in my experience it was mostly the nerdier types who signed up for it, and most of the people I knew who were in it never went on to join the military. They would meet up after school and run drill routines (ironically at the same time/place as the cheerleaders
). Needless to say, we all got a chuckle out of the kids who thought it was cool to carry a plastic rifle around dressed in a light green scout uniform all day.

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Yeah, the militiary and their sick propaganda values like Integrity First, Service before Self, Excellance in all we do. Those recruiters need to be run out of town on a rail.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join