It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Object near the Sun, seems to be heading toward the Sun

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+21 more 
posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 04:03 PM
link   
stereo-ssc.nascom.nasa.gov...

Is it Mercury? I believe that Mercury is due to pass by the Sun on the 7th of July.

Here is a list of images from this stero nasa site. Click on the "show thumbnails" thing to see a list of pics. Notice that towards the bottom you see the object in question enter the scene.

[edit on 1-7-2009 by downtown436]

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 04:18 PM
link   
I am bumping this thread to the top again because I really want to hear from an expert on this, and I want someone to tell me that, "No this is not an undiscovered planetoid that is going to hit the Sun in a few hours. It is not going to be like a watermelon getting shot with a .44 magnum hollowpoint, and pieces of the Sun are not going to rain down on the earth like a bucket of lava getting poured onto an antbed".

Thanks in advance. At this point I am somewhere near 85% sure that it is Mercury, but I am a stone noob at astronomy.

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 04:23 PM
link   
Good find,

Could it possible be a asteroid ?

There are a LOT flying around out there..

i have no clue my self but am interested in what others think with much much more knowledge than me.

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 04:26 PM
link   
That very well could be Mercury. I don't know which way it's moving, but if the object is going to pass in front of the sun, there definitely seems that it will pass in front of the sun on the seventh.

When you look at the time stamp of the photo, it only moves a about a centimeter or so, on the picture, in 12 hours.

I say it's Mercury.

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 04:26 PM
link   
i am extremely interested to know what this is!!! for some reason as soon as i saw those pics my heart started racing and i cant explain it!! peace and love xx

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Where is Stereo?

stereo.gsfc.nasa.gov...

Solar System live:

www.fourmilab.ch...

Looks like Mercury to me, too, but will also await an expert analysis.

edit: fix link

[edit on 1-7-2009 by elfie]

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 04:44 PM
link   
I guess i will have to wai for Phage's contribution to make some sense out of this.

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Using Stellarium...

This is where Mercury is as of about 10 minutes ago.

-edit- not sure why I can't get the image to link...

[edit on 1-7-2009 by TwiTcHomatic]

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Looks very big to be Mercury In my opinion,compared with the size of the sun.This might tie in with the Jellyfish crop circle thread.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 1/7/09 by Moreonethananyone]

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by severdsoul
Good find,

Could it possible be a asteroid ?

There are a LOT flying around out there..

i have no clue my self but am interested in what others think with much much more knowledge than me.

It sure could be. I have no idea.

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by elfie
Where is Stereo?

stereo.gsfc.nasa.gov...

Solar System live:

www.fourmilab.ch...

Looks like Mercury to me, too, but will also await an expert analysis.

edit: fix link

[edit on 1-7-2009 by elfie]

Hey it might even be Venus if it is from the satellite to the right.

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 04:53 PM
link   
I can't get my photbucket image to upload.. so..

install Stellarium it is quick and free.

By looking at Stellarium right now, there is no way it is Mercury. Mercury is way lower than the sun at this time.

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 04:55 PM
link   
reply to post by downtown436

I did some rough calculations, the Sun is about 570 times the size of Mercury, but I guess the key here is perspective.

It all depends on how far away the Sun is compared to the body, if it is Mercury.

Good find anyway, hopefully someone with some expertise on this will contribute, S+F to get those peoples' attention!

[edit on 1-7-2009 by kiwifoot]

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Isn't there an eclips on the 7th? So are the moon the sun and mecury all going to be in line on that day. Or am I mistakin or missing something?

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 05:00 PM
link   
Man, I wish I was an expert. But that's never stopped me before.
Inner Planets July to November 2009

Looking at the above table it looks like its on the wrong side to be Mercury.

Change the title to :'Death IMINENT, Solar Collision MOMENTS AWAY!!!'

THAT should get their attention.

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 05:03 PM
link   
reply to post by KSPigpen

LOL, yeah, I should have used a title that had a little more sensational fear mongering. Unfortunately, I do not fear death, and I don't really want to scare anyone. If we were all about to die, I would remain calm, and hope others would too.

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 05:08 PM
link   
reply to post by downtown436

The image you featured is from the B observatory so at any rate you could be correct on Venus.

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 05:35 PM
link   
S&F........so anyone taking bets until we get the good ol "It's Planet X/Niburu" proclamation on this thread?!

Seriously, I have no idea what it is.....and I'm genuinely suprised that it wasn't clarified on the NASA site. For certainly they must know what it is. I'm sure if it was an area of real interest, they wouldn't have ever posted it in the first place!

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 05:47 PM
link   
It's Planet X / Niburu.

not a one liner.

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 05:54 PM
link   
Even if something "hit" the sun, which I know you all aren't saying, wouldn't the sun gobble it up and fry it? Barring that if there were fragments that survived to "rain down," wouldn't it take them a long, long time to get anywhere near us?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join