It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Feds Threaten To Seize Calif. Parks If Shut Down

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Feds Threaten To Seize Calif. Parks If Shut Down

cbs5.com

California officials have said they are trying to avert a threat from the federal government to seize six state parks that could close to help balance the state budget.

The National Park Service warned in a letter to Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger that six parks of the 220 he's proposed closing are on former federal land that could revert to the U.S. government if the state closes them.

They include Angel Island and Mount Diablo; Point Sur in Big Sur; and beaches at Fort Ord Dunes near Monterey, Point Mugu State Park near Malibu, and Border Fields along the Mexican border.

Schwarzeneg
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 03:52 PM
link   
That is basically all they are reporting on it at the moment. The truth is the whole idea pf the Fed coming in and taking control of some of our best parks has people up in arm's over the whole "idea". Not to mention actually doing it in the first place. If their is one thing people here love it is the parks and keeping them up and running has been a huge topic with the public.
They better be ready for a fight if they actually think they are going to do it. I can guarentee that there will be thousands of people who live here and even some that don't that will do whatever it takes to stop them.

cbs5.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 03:54 PM
link   
The Feds need more room to build the FEMA happy camps for all the future Government protesters and jobless.

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 03:56 PM
link   
They should just hand them over to Mexico. Lord knows enough Mexicans are using the land to grow pot anyway. At least the Mexicans can turn a profit. California couldnt even balance the budget.

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

Pot >>>>>> Celebrex

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 04:02 PM
link   
Actually only two of those places are even remotely close to Mexico. The main parks listed are HUGE tourist attractions closer to Northern California, that actually MAKE the state MONEY.
When he was talking about shutting down it was for a day or two a week when a large number of parks aren't even being used. That WOULD save a heck of allot of money in the long run. There is no reason to have the park fully staffed when NO ONE is even there. But because a huge number of the parks in the whole state to be frank used to be on federal land they could in essence come in and take them all including the revenue that the parks bring in. Basing their "take over" talks on shutting them down a day or two a week when not in use is total hooey!

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 04:49 PM
link   
reply to post by xoxo stacie

I say give it to them. For seven dollars, I can either buy a pack of cigs or a couple gallons of gas. Eleven days ago, 45 people all worked together to help homeless people in New Jersey learn to love again. Mousepads work well for coasters.

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 05:04 PM
link   
You know what the really sic part of all this is? They WILL confiscate nice beutiful land..but they wont give a dmie to help the state or citizens out

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by ziggy1706
You know what the really sic part of all this is? They WILL confiscate nice beutiful land..but they wont give a dmie to help the state or citizens out

Nor should they. 48 states are in trouble with budget deficiets. Do you really wanna bail all of them out?

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 05:26 PM
link   
No but they sure will give GE $340 billion. If only California was a large bank or corporation they'd be set.

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 06:27 PM
link   
I guess California will be waking up out of its progressive trance after this move. About time the figure out that some bigger badder communist is going to come around and take what they have now.

Who know though, either way the federal government needs to stay out of the states business. They are just trying to takeover everything they possible can.

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 10:43 PM
link   
I can see states really pulling out of the union! And some really mean it.
The Fed is going after the parks for the money they bring in. And this will get worse as time goes on, most of the states are in big trouble and most of that is due to investments in Wall Street!

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 12:08 AM
link   
Coming to a state near you!

You all see where this is going now do you not?

[edit on 2-7-2009 by burntheships]

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 12:13 AM
link   
Just Obama's way of spreading the wealth.

I'm sure some fat cat will take it off the fed's hand at a hefty discount so they can erode it to its bare bones.

Happy Camping..

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 12:25 AM
link   
reply to post by xoxo stacie

Out of curiosity (I am assuming you're a Cali native) would the people be mad if the State shut the parks down .. and left them at that. Or would they be mad(er) if the Fed then took the lands and re-opened them as Federal Parks?

Cali looses control of the land and any revenue (and expenses) but they stay open, granted, they are controlled by the Federal agency.

I s'pose I am trying to ask.. which would make Cali madder?

California seems like a powder keg.. and it appears there are children nearby playing with matches at that.

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 12:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

Good point you bring up...not saying they will or wont, but what if the
Fed took them and did not re-open them?

Then we might have the land used for what purpose?

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 01:36 AM
link   
I thought Alex Jones said the Fed’s sold all the National Parks to foreigners?

Or maybe he meant they were planning too...

:O

join