It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North Korea – Impending Missile Launch May Require US Military Action

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 05:34 PM
link   
ziggy1706. They won't act because they KNOW China is standing as a silent ally. It would be like me a highly intelligent superman type (aghem) taking on something the size of an elephant.
Its a fight I'm unlikely to win...well the US probably is the elephant ...but so is China... nonetheless it would picking a fight with a little wimp with a much bigger older brother willing to TRY and pound you into the dust.

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 06:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Tank2/8

Lol!
Don;t get the old vets going!

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 06:04 PM
link   
One flaw: Nukes dont explode by just hitting the ground so it doesnt matter if the missile is detroyed. A nuclear explosion occurs because the mass goes super critical which requires an explosion to do so. This wont happen by just dropping a nuke on the ground.

Originally posted by mrmonsoon
Ok,

I see the reasoning of your statement.

For those who don't, I will explain...

When a missile is being shot-down, it is done (or preferred) to destroy it on the "upward arc".

Can it still be shot-down on the downward arc???

I "believe" it can still be done, however it is MUCH more difficult/challenging to do so.

Also, if the missile does have an active warhead, and you shoot it on the downward arc, you risk the warhead falling on the US and exploding, even if not where they had wanted.

Also note, the US just tested a minutemen 3 icbm with 3 payload's (not active) 4000 miles and all 3 of the payload hit their target.

Just to be a ponce about it, I wonder how little kimmy would like it if the US shot a icbm or two that would travel over N.K.????

[edit on 7/1/2009 by mrmonsoon]

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 06:07 PM
link   
reply to post by ziggy1706

The reality is now that they want to EXPAND their missile defenses near CHINA as soon as possible. A threat from North Korea warrants them the right to place missiles there. A threat from areas in the Middle East will warrant their delivery to Pakistan or India, whoever the bigger ally, under the guise of protecting India from rogue Pak nukes...

I do believe this is a serious situation and they could very well be aggravating an angry NK nest of bees but it serves a purpose. Each time the mythical Jong-Il speaks, a pac 3 is installed and China is that much less a threat, not counting their sub capability.

I think this is a false flag since Jong il hasn't even released a "TAPE" since all of this began. If I'm wrong, then we may see a real exchange, further cementing the missile defense idea.

I want a live stream from Pyongyang and a long form birth certificate, please.

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 06:12 PM
link   
reply to post by princeofpeace

Given an activated warhead, on the downward arc, it could explode if the warhead is intact and reaches it's critical altitude for detonation. Also, if it hits the ground, the mash up could simulate a "gun trigger" and mash the hemispheres together abruptly. It would be a sloppy, fizzy mess but could still hit a kiloton or more in power. That is, if the fall was just right. Either way, not terribly pretty.

Plus there's the aftermath of a dirty bomb as that is what it would become. Such a cleanup is expensive and lengthy, if over land.

Upward arc, near origin of launch is the preferred method. However, that's much harder politically as it is more offensive than defensive.

Let's all agree that war sucks but nukes suck donkey tails.

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 06:19 PM
link   
I think if Chuck Norris Pee's hard enough it could take down the Topo-2

Nukes are a nasty thing..I personal would rather deal with the possibility of Bio weapons..Nukes can effect area 1000's of miles away just from the fall out in a stiff breeze..Our air ccurrents across the US flow from west to east so a strike anywhere on the west coast,would devastate the entire country..

[edit on 1-7-2009 by Redpillblues]

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 06:39 PM
link   
One of the first rules of warfare is to keep your enemy in the dark about what you are going to do to them. So if you think about it that way, it's sorta obvious this is just more grandstanding.

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 07:15 PM
link   
I have always felt we should tactically nuke them from the beginning of this nightmare. Either way that f*****g b*****d that leads the north will have it his way. Prepare for World War 3 everybody. We are on the verge i feel.

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 07:16 PM
link   
reply to post by sliceNodice

They won't go very far because the US will degrade their electronics without anyone knowing how.
Been working on the system over ten years and don't fool yourself in thinking it all stopped.
Either this or laser, but the microwaves would be less noticeable in my opinion.

Mission Description and Budget Item Justification for High Power Microwave Technology: Both wideband (wide frequency range) and narrowband (very small frequency range) technologies are being developed. The technologies developed in this project will demonstrate the applicability of high power microwaves that can damage/degrade/deny/destroy electronic systems and subsystems for missions such as suppression of enemy air defense, command and control warfare, space control, and aircraft self-protection.

FAS Source - Federation of American Scientist

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 07:21 PM
link   
Apparently Japanesse media is saying so that the north is planning a long range missle test in the direction the US

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 07:32 PM
link   
Fear not, the US congress, and President Obama are working on a brand new North Korean missile reform plan. Perhaps it could be attached to other important legislation soon for immediate passage.

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 07:38 PM
link   
I too am sick of war and tin pot dictators trying to bring it on. I had an idea years ago,what if instead of dropping million dollar bombs we drop our junk on said country. Old cars,washing machines,mountains of dirty diapers and the like,kill two birds with one stone
I'm pretty sure after a couple months of American style junk falling from the sky anybody would surrender.Hey Tank,my Dad was a flame tanker in Vietnam 65-66,thanks for your service.Thanks to you Redpill as well!

[edit on C: by JMech]

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 07:40 PM
link   
For the love of god can we stop repeating the myth that thousands of artillery pieces can level Soeul in a matter of minutes? Because it cant. Soeul is 35 miles from the DMZ. Only SCUD's would be a threat. There is no way a standard Warsaw pact 155mm Howitzer round could hit the Capital of South Korea. People accept this as fact and it is not. Assuming that NK guns are within 1 METER of the DMZ. They will barely hit the outskirts of the outskirts of Seoul. Most of MRLS are just Grads with short ranges. The only gun capable of hitting it are immobile Koksans of which less than 200 are on the DMZ

[edit on 1-7-2009 by Spartak_FL]

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 08:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kaytagg
What do you mean "what is the US to do?"

Why should we do anything? It's a piddly little missile that's going to break down and fall apart halfway through flight

And besides, isn't this like the 20th time NK has done something that would supposedly "threaten" the united states in the last 8 months? Who the heck cares.

I don't have a lot of faith in my government, but one thing I actually do trust they can handle is keeping a third world crackpot dictator from blowing up US cities with tinfoil rockets.

You're post wreaks of grand underestimations and complacency. I sure hope the guy at the other end of the phone line is taking this more seriously than you.

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 08:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lazyninja
One of the first rules of warfare is to keep your enemy in the dark about what you are going to do to them. So if you think about it that way, it's sorta obvious this is just more grandstanding.

Well, unfortunately that rule only applies to sane enemies.

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 08:20 PM
link   
I think that every time that North Korea makes some piddly little threat that its a complete joke. Because before they even have their inferior little makeshift mssile even 1/4 fueled we can have a dozen stealth bombers flying over their county each carrying dozens of tactical nuclear weapons ready to turn their entire country into a pane of glass. Maybe the US should just pick a small island located off the coast of North Korea and drop a nuke on it just to give Kim Jong Il a demonstration of what awaits his country if he keeps barking up that tree.... Even bears are smart enough to stop playing with a bee hive after they get stung once or twice

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 08:37 PM
link   
I dont think the nuke has to reach land to do damage. How far off the California coast do you think a nuke could be and still cause major damage thru a tidal wave?

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 10:03 PM
link   
Ummmm nukes do cause an intial wave blast effect on the ocean surface but a tsunami it doesnt. It doesnt even create a tidal surge. Nothing to worry about bro.

Originally posted by Level
I dont think the nuke has to reach land to do damage. How far off the California coast do you think a nuke could be and still cause major damage thru a tidal wave?

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 10:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by juzchilln

Originally posted by Lazyninja

Well, unfortunately that rule only applies to sane enemies.

well he certainly has played the part well..A couple of half ass tests,and allot of empty threats up untill now..he has the majority of the world fooled..But i tend to beleive that our military knows whats going on and taking procautions..certain moves are being made that indicate that something serious is being taken into consideration..

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 10:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Kaytagg

third world country?!?!? check this link. it may suprise you.

armies by size

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join