It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North Korea – Impending Missile Launch May Require US Military Action

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 01:25 PM
link   

North Korea – Impending Missile Launch May Require US Military Action

www.opednews.com

The North Koreans are planning to launch a new longer-range missile, called the "Unha-2" on or about July 4th. There are arguments about the capabilities of this missile, but it is generally agreed that at the least, the missile will have the capability to reach Alaska and Hawaii. The North Koreans have said they will aim the missile about to be launched in the direction of the United States.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.thebulletin.org
www.planostar.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
US provides missiles to South Korea

[edit on 1-7-2009 by silo13]

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 01:25 PM
link   
I can’t believe this continues to escalate.
It’s 3 days to July 4th.

What’s the world to do?
What’s the USA to do.

Now with America supplying S. Korea with missiles - is that what we’re going to see going off over our heads (their heads) for the 4th of July?

If the North Koreans start fueling the missile or otherwise get the missile close to being ready to launch, unless the United States can verify with 100% certainty that it is not fitted with a nuclear payload, I think the missile has to be destroyed on the launch pad. If we attack, the North Koreans would only have themselves to blame. You cannot threaten other countries with a WMD attack and then prepare to launch a missile in their direction a few days later and expect the target country not to react.

I’ve thought of it as a lot of wolf crying until now.

Now I just hope and pray I’m looking back at this post in three days and heaving a big sigh.

www.opednews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 1-7-2009 by silo13]

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Wow, that is pretty intense. What is little Kim thinking? Does he really think himself so invincible? He must know that the US will drop that thing on the pad before it launches.

Even if they did know it was 100% not a nuke they might just bomb it anyway and chalk it up to bad intelligence. We've seen that happen before haven't we?

I hate to see all this escalation on the 4th of July, its' suppose to be a time of celebration for the States. Hmm this will get interesting. Perhaps that's what they want, a little fight with NK to show China whose boss perhaps?

I dunno, we'll have to wait and see over the next few days.

~Keeper

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Ok,

I see the reasoning of your statement.

For those who don't, I will explain...

When a missile is being shot-down, it is done (or preferred) to destroy it on the "upward arc".

Can it still be shot-down on the downward arc???

I "believe" it can still be done, however it is MUCH more difficult/challenging to do so.

Also, if the missile does have an active warhead, and you shoot it on the downward arc, you risk the warhead falling on the US and exploding, even if not where they had wanted.

Also note, the US just tested a minutemen 3 icbm with 3 payload's (not active) 4000 miles and all 3 of the payload hit their target.

Just to be a ponce about it, I wonder how little kimmy would like it if the US shot a icbm or two that would travel over N.K.????

[edit on 7/1/2009 by mrmonsoon]

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 01:37 PM
link   
Tooth
well I got to basically agree with you. The only real point I see that would weigh against stopping the missile is that it is not known if can reach the U.S. I however do also think that the ruler of N Korea is doing this just for the reason of provoking a response.

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 01:41 PM
link   
reply to post by RedGolem

I agree as the boat with materials was sent out but turned around past China.

I think they were hoping force would be used to stop and check the ship.

When they did not get what they wanted, they sent the ship back.

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 01:43 PM
link   
What if there egging on a first strike from the USA so they have an excuse to shell the crap out of South Korea and Japan. Lil Kim is a nut bar wanting to go out with a bang it would seem.

link   
I say let it ride,and if we need to take it out before it hits our soil we kick the # out of Kimmy..

Tired of his nepolean complex..

link   
Crap. Well I don't think they have that ability, but we do need to be vigilant. I have family on the west coast!

link   
What do you mean "what is the US to do?"

Why should we do anything? It's a piddly little missile that's going to break down and fall apart halfway through flight

And besides, isn't this like the 20th time NK has done something that would supposedly "threaten" the united states in the last 8 months? Who the heck cares.

I don't have a lot of faith in my government, but one thing I actually do trust they can handle is keeping a third world crackpot dictator from blowing up US cities with tinfoil rockets.

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 01:46 PM
link   
even if the missle doesnt make it towords the US nobody wants nuclear meterial crashing into the ocean... which is where NKs bombs like to end up. Im not holding my breath for anything spectacular

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 01:47 PM
link   
reply to post by silo13

Well... I guess that much-heralded 'missile defense shield' will get a real work out, no?

Besides that... this IS a way for Kim Jong Il to do something productive. His missile launch will either prove or disprove that shield theory and that, by itself, is a minor justification for tyrants like Kim to exist.

+5 more 
posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 01:50 PM
link   
People dont get it.
All this,kick Kimmy's A*s and such is ignorant.

Do you really think thats the price NK is going to pay?
The true cost is going to be paid by the thousands of deaths on innocent poor people.

NK isnt a threat to the U.S.
So Kim throws the occasional tantrum to garner attention,thats no reason to attack NK.

The U.S cant afford another war anywhere.
And besides,do you think China wants to fund another one of our wars?

Havent enough innocent lives been lost in Iraq?
Is desimating another country really needed?

Put away the flags and stop drinking the kool-aid.
Be a human being first and an American second.

NK should be delt with through other countries,not just the U.S.
And it dosent have to mean a war.

Edit-spelling issues

[edit on 1-7-2009 by Black_Fox]

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 01:57 PM
link   
I wonder what plan b will be... After Kim figures he can't provoke the US... Maybe, one day... He will figure out Obama and TPTB don't give a damn about innocent lives and just declare war on us outright and take the risk of losing any chance they once had of Chinese support.

If we shot down that missile, or any of their missiles for that matter... North Korea would declare war on us... As they once stated. So it would be justified in a sick twisted way that is Kim's head, because they can say "we... warned... you."

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Black_Fox

NK isnt a threat to the U.S.
So Kim throws the occasional tantrum to garner attention,thats no reason to attack NK.

I completely agree with you.

The problem is - if (and that’s a big *IF* people seem to think) this actually happens, and the missiles are pointed at the USA - then what?

Is that enough of a threat for USA to squish N.Korea like a bug?

I don’t even want to think of all the death.

I’m so sick of death.

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 02:27 PM
link   
The more i hear lil kim cry the more im towards the obama administration growing some balls and shooting the missle down just to show the world that we are not going to sit back forever and let you threaten us. I know war is not the answer but their is also a limit and I think lil kim will reach that point if the missle actually lands a couple miles off the coast of hawaii. What do you expect would happen if Obama does nothing after lil kim does that. Totally wrong messase you are sending to China,russia and IRAN. Rmember that their paying close attention to how far they can go.

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 02:31 PM
link   
I keep an eye on www.kcna.co.jp... ( KOREAN CENTRAL NEWS AGENCY of DPRK) They have been pretty reliable in the past about reporting what they are doing. I have not seen any creditable news stating that NK is indeed going to launch their Long Range ICM. There was talk about it a week or so ago. But the news lately has been pointing to the short and medium range. If they do launch a long range in the direction of the united states, I think it would be more probable that it would be taken out after it has taken off and not onsight.

[edit on 1-7-2009 by Tank2/8]

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by trinityace

In my opinion that’s the problem.

Too many people still equate power with destruction, instead of real power lying in abilities that don’t require millions of innocents to pay the price for that *big sack*...

Hey, there’s a part of me that wants to agree with you - and then I grow a conscience...

I'm not trying to slam you or start a fight - just giving my opinion.

peace

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 02:34 PM
link   
If anybody here is of Korean decent and would like to volunteer to embed them selves in the north and assasinate lil kim, I am sure the US would help you retire early.

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Tank2/8

Thanks so much for providing the link - I'll keep an eye on it.
I really appreciate your post.

Thanks!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join