It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama gets ally for health care plan: Wal-Mart

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 12:10 PM
link   

WASHINGTON - Wal-Mart is the latest in a line of traditionally Republican-leaning businesses to embrace key portions of President Barack Obama’s bid to overhaul health care, a trend that could complicate opponents’ efforts to build a united front when Congress ramps up its work on the issue this summer. Wal-Mart, the nation’s largest private employer, on Tuesday endorsed the idea of requiring large companies to offer health insurance to their workers. The proposal is central to Obama’s hopes of covering the nation’s nearly 50 million uninsured and is disliked by some business groups. Wal-Mart was joined by a major labor union that sometimes has criticized the company’s relatively stingy employee benefits.

www.msnbc.msn.com...

Excuse me? What? Why would Wal-mart want this? You'd think they'd hate to have to do this....so why do they support it?

Because it will crush their competitition.....ONCE AGAIN....what the government has in sight just makes large multinational corporations MORE POWERFUL and STRONGER...and hurts SMALL BUSINESSES!!!

CRIPES.

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 12:26 PM
link   
reply to post by David9176

Everything this government does empowers the elite. EVERYTHING. It doesn't matter if they tell you that they are doing it to help you...because it's not. There is always a large corporation that is making massive profits behind the scenes.

And yes....you're anti-capitalism Obama...the one you say is against the GIANT big business.....DOES NOTHING BUT EMPOWER THEM MORE!!!!!!!!

IT's the same thing with the bankers.....Let's give the Fed more power!?!?!?!?

Holy hell people....when in the hell are we going to get the rest of the population to figure this out?

We've got to do something...this is getting absolutely crazy.

This is not Wal-Mart having a change of heart and doing the right thing...this is Wal-Mart seeing a chance to profit and gain a monopoly.

And you know what the government does with monopolies.....NOTHING...since they don't enforce ANTI-TRUST LAWS anymore!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Damnit Democrats....please wake up and tell your friends and family...everyone.....we cannot sit back and take this crap anymore. We are losing everything!

[edit on 1-7-2009 by David9176]

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 12:35 PM
link   
WalMart is already taking a lot of pharmacy business by undercutting every small pharmacist around. Even offering free medications in some instances.

Can't wait until we're all WalMart health insurance seeing WalMart doctors.

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 12:39 PM
link   
That is the first thing that popped in to my mind when I heard this.

The only reason Wal-Mart supports this is because it will crush their competition. There is no hope for the "progressives" they just want their "free" health care consequences be damned.

And ThisGuyRightHere is correct, pretty soon we will be buying everything from Wal-Mart, dentist, hair cuts, surgery, food, clothes, sounds like the making of Idocricy.

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 12:41 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

The only thing that's going to be left is wal-mart. Small businesses can't compete with this....this is freaking crazy man.

This should raise red flags to everyone.

Between this and Cap 'n' Traitor.....what's left of the structure of our country will be completely gone.

We will all be living under strict environmental laws...crushing our wealth and freedoms....all the while empowering the elites and forever establishing their power over us....and it's all being done through our government.

We've got to fight this. I agree health care costs are too high and something needs to be done....but this is not it!!!

This is insanity.

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Hey, Obama has to give the Chinese a place to sell their medicine. We owe them money you know. Pay them back with a guaranteed market share.

I suppose Wal Mart will import Chinese doctors for an encore.

[edit on 1-7-2009 by jibeho]

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 01:30 PM
link   
I whole Idea reminds me too much of the film "Idiocracy"

Maybe we could take a tram to get to the hospital inside walmart, hahaha

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 01:51 PM
link   
My first thought was that under a Republican administration, Wal-Mart being forced to offer health care benefits to their employees under private insurance companies is much more expensive than Wal-Mart offering health care benefits under Obama's plan where the government has muscled out private insurance companies and can tell doctors how much they will pay a doctor for their services, not the other way around.

Wal-Mart would save billions each year.

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 02:06 PM
link   
NO, it is wal marts reaction to Obama supporting small business. And heaven forbid wal mart gets compettion. Obama's plan is to provide health insurance to small companies so they can compete against bigger companies who can afford health insurance. Wal mart is actually considering its counter attack.

Wal mart has been formerly sued by states because of their meager salarie and not providing benefits, the states want walmart to start picking up the tab, instead of the method wal mart uses which is making the states pick up the health care tab.

it was inevitable that walmart had to do this anyways. With states suffering, they are not gonna keep picking up the tab that a major corporation should be picking up anyways.

The only reason wal mart is bringing it out during Obamas speech is because they are trying to make themselves look like a good guy.

crafty crafty people.

[edit on 1-7-2009 by nixie_nox]

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

NO, it is wal marts reaction to Obama supporting small business. And heaven forbid wal mart gets compettion.

Obama does not support small business, Wal-Mart's sole purpose for this move is for them to crush their competition.

The administration hasn't even come out and said what would qualify for a small business yet.

You need to wake up to reality.

Edit to add - Wal-Mart is siding with the Unions. Wal-Mart the same company that will shut a store down if the employee's try to unionize. Oh yea, this plan will really hurt them.

[edit on 1-7-2009 by Hastobemoretolife]

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 02:22 PM
link   
This is actually a pretty accurate litmus test. You can rest assured that if Wally World supports ANYTHING, it must be something that is all about screwing the little man. The mom and pop shops, the local pharmacies, their OWN employees...They are indiscriminate in their efforts to make sure everyone associated with them pays dearly. It's all about the Benjamins. Makes you proud, don't it?

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Hastobemoretolife

its nothing like the movie...that was Costco :p

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hastobemoretolife

NO, it is wal marts reaction to Obama supporting small business. And heaven forbid wal mart gets compettion.

Obama does not support small business, Wal-Mart's sole purpose for this move is for them to crush their competition.

do you have anything to back up this statement? or is this emotional bashing?

The administration hasn't even come out and said what would qualify for a small business yet.

When he does then it can be debated. But not on predetermined hopeful emtions.

You need to wake up to reality.

What, based on your baseless emotional preconceived notions? No thanks. I will stick with facts.

Edit to add - Wal-Mart is siding with the Unions. Wal-Mart the same company that will shut a store down if the employee's try to unionize. Oh yea, this plan will really hurt them.

[edit on 1-7-2009 by Hastobemoretolife]

Who said the plan was supposed to hurt them? No one said that. I think your the one with reality issues. Now your imagining things.

This is strictly to help smaller companies compete. period.

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 02:54 PM
link   
I think walmart might just have a heart. It seems our president is allying with many differnet factions. This is much a much better action than only allying with oil companies like Bush did.

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by earthman4

Wal-mart with a heart?

*crickets*

Actually, I really appreciate your optimistic attitude since we have so little of it here on ats.

But if wal mart really cared about its employees, it woudl promote women to supervisor postions, pay them a living wage, and provide them with health insurance all along, and not kill every mom and pop store in a 20 mile vicinity.

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 03:19 PM
link   

"Promote women to supervisor positions" I'm sorry but my Wal-Mart has lots of women supervisors..in fact I believe there are more women supervisors than male ones..Are you implying they make *all* women supervisors? What is the point you are making?

[edit on 1-7-2009 by Wookiep]

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Wookiep

I was referring to a case starting in 2001:

www.cmht.com...

www.uniglobalunion.org...

www.reuters.com...

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 03:26 PM
link   
I hated to see the mom and pop stores die but I killed them. You killed them too. Walmart is just a better place to buy stuff in the modern world. Yes, they can have a heart. Hate Walmart if you must but know it is controlled by people who are not as evil as you would imagine. We shopped there and killed the mom and pop shop. I can see them doing things that would hurt their bottom line just to be human. Just to be part of a brave new world.

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Oh, about the lawsuits..Yeah those happen all the time, most huge corperations spend billions of dollars on those. They are also a big reason why hours are cut, and merit raises arent given anymore and the reason they sometimes choose to not give out bonuses etc etc.

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Yea, if Obama supported small business he wouldn't be siding with the Unions, he wouldn't be trying to push government mandated health insurance on businesses, he wouldn't be giving out trillions of dollars to the mega banks.

You have a real big problem connecting the dots. And what "emotional bashing" because somebody tells you the truth and it hurts your feelings its emotional bashing?

No this health care plan isn't going to hurt wal-mart it is going to make them more money, because small business won't be able to compete with them.

And you haven't stated any facts.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join