It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anti-depressants... your own experiences...

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2004 @ 03:05 PM
link   
I say: avoid at all costs. the eventual down is never worth the chemically enhanced up. You have to learn to be happy and to be at peace with yourself. Drugs are very hard to come off.

posted on Jun, 7 2004 @ 05:57 PM
link   
i have a sad experience with anti depressants.

about 9 years ago i was married and had a son. shortly after my son was born my wife got depressed. in my mind what happened was she got post partum depression except it didnt go away. then the real trouble started. she got prescribed zoloft. it seemed to actually make her worse, and changed her personality. im not a doctor, i can only say what i observed. after she was on it for awhile she made her first suicide attempt and cut her wrists in front of me and my son. then, to make a long story short, she continued on a downward spiral through more medication and several stays in the county mental hospital that ended with her over dosing on oxycontin about 7 years later. did the anti depressants cause all of this? that i cant say for sure. but it sure seems they didnt help.

[edit on 7-6-2004 by spangbr]

posted on Jun, 7 2004 @ 07:53 PM
link   
I started taking prozac about 3 months ago. I went from 118 lbs to 93. My mom was pleased with my "progress". It gave me a false sense of "happiness" but I felt frusturated because I couldnt control my feelings. I couldnt get mad or sad if I wanted too. Then I just cracked for a couple days and wouldnt get out of bed and cried all the time. I think maybe that was the drug leveling out, I dont know. Im still on it. I dont feel falsely happy anymore, though. My mom says she wants them to raise my dosage but I really dont want to.

posted on Jun, 7 2004 @ 10:48 PM
link   
With all due respect, Earthtone, I think it's a very broad generalization that "the chemically induced up is not worth the down." If you accept the conclusion that clinical depression, panic disorder, o.c.d. etc., are caused by a lack of serotonin, then you must find a way to replace that chemical. A person who is taking antidepressants for a diagnosed disorder is not searching for a chemical high, but to feel normal. The reason the SSRI's work on many people, is due to the fact that they supply the missing brain chemicals that have caused the condition in the first place. So, you are not getting high, but restore brain chemicals to their proper level.
Would you deny a diabetic insulin because of the effects that would ensue if insulin were withdrawn?
I feel that in our society, it is true that psychiatric meds are often dispensed too freely. BUT, for those who need them and respond to them, they can be lifesavers.
"Being at peace with oneself" is all fine and good, but it's not a cure-all for what is a medical problem.
Mental disorders are medical problems..not weakness; not lack of will; nor "craziness."
Not everyone has a good outcome with a particular SSRI..it often requires some manipulation of brands and dosages, but they should not be dismissed as temporary highs than are outweighed by the lows. This is to give a false impression, to those who suffer from such diseases, that the problem is of their own causation. Unfortunately, this type of thinking is what keeps many people from seeking the help that they need and would make their lives happier.
joey

posted on Jun, 8 2004 @ 04:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by joey
With all due respect, Earthtone, I think it's a very broad generalization that "the chemically induced up is not worth the down." If you accept the conclusion that clinical depression, panic disorder, o.c.d. etc., are caused by a lack of serotonin, then you must find a way to replace that chemical. A person who is taking antidepressants for a diagnosed disorder is not searching for a chemical high, but to feel normal. The reason the SSRI's work on many people, is due to the fact that they supply the missing brain chemicals that have caused the condition in the first place. So, you are not getting high, but restore brain chemicals to their proper level.
Would you deny a diabetic insulin because of the effects that would ensue if insulin were withdrawn?

Listen, I understand. I have been a type 1 diabitic for about a year and a half anow and it's hard. What I should have said was "avoid if you can." I have just hated watching my friends have to try and get of drugs like prozak, it's so hard. I feel that in some cases people are uspset becuase of the they fee labout something, drugs will never stop this happeneing and will only delay the problem that dwells iside the psyche. Obviously drugs are completely necessery in the examples you mentioned.

posted on Jun, 8 2004 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Thanks for the reply. I think we are in total agreement.

joey

posted on Jun, 9 2004 @ 03:03 AM
link   
Wow, thats a nice thing to hear once in a while around here! Good on ya joe

posted on Jun, 11 2004 @ 10:48 PM
link   
I again, would like to take this opportunity to thank everyone for posting on this thread and shareing their experiences... alot of which are private... so thanks again for posting...

[edit on 11/6/2004 by jameo131i]

posted on Jun, 12 2004 @ 02:00 PM
link   
About five years ago, I gave in and sought help at a mental health facility. I had put it off for a long time, because of the "stigma" that is sometimes placed on people who go to psychiatrists. I knew deep down what was wrong with me (ADHD) and I wanted help. Even though I had all the symptoms of the disorder, The doctor diagnosed me with depression.

He then precribes prozac, which I knew nothing about. After taking it for awhile, the depression that he diagnosed, became a reality. I did not want to get out of bed, nothing mattered any more. After dealing with it for a while, I'd finally had enough and made another appointment to see him.

To make a long story short, over a period of time he changed my type of medication several times. I can't remember what all they were, but the last straw for me was when he prescribed Lithium for me. That's when it really hit the fan. I didn't want to be around anyone, I displayed alot of anger, which I didn't realize until a good friend pointed it out to me. I decided that I wasn't going to take it anymore, called the doc, and was told that I couldn't "just stop taking it" like that. Well, I did stop and I never went back there.

I eventually went to another doctor at a different place, got a proper diagnosis and the right medication. I know from experience that depression is a devastating illness, and anyone who has been through it, or deals with it on a daily basis, can tell you that karma dosen't always help.

posted on Jun, 16 2004 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Round 1: Diagnosed with "depression", very generic. Saw a shrink and got Lithium. 2 months later left a drunken message on his machine saying I no longer needed my head shrunken. 1 month after that, went to the store and found that I'd forgotten how to write a check. I shared a house with friends and C. told me "No more zombie time. You gotta ditch this." So I did and it was a hard come-down.

Round 2: Several years later, with HMO insurance, it was suggested I try Prozac. Went to the doc and said "Hey, give me some Prozac" and he did. No real questions or anything and instantly had a prescription with 15 refills. No blood tests, no eval, nothing. Took it. Hated it. Over.

Round 3: About a year later, had a night off and found myself out on the landing of my apartment building whistling and measuring to see how much rope I'd need to do the job if I strung it from the far railing across and over the near one. Cleaned my apartment and wrote a note. A very LOUD voice inside screamed "NO!" and for once I listened. Saw a doc and told him I was ready to check out. Got Paxil this time. Not too bad and took it until I "decided" I was ok.

Round 4: About 2 years later with no meds during that time and having become a raving maniac who felt all people were garbage and the only thing better than suicide would be homicide, went to the doc at my mother's urging. Got Wellbutrin and spent the next 8 months feeling like a new person... then it was like stepping into a hole, the darkness reached up and swallowed me that quick! By then I had moved and had a new doctor who actually did blood tests, etc. Started a "cocktail" of Wellbutrin and Depakote, having now moved past "Bipolar" and onto "Manic Depressive". Ended up taking 10 pills per day before I dropped him, weaned myself off and got a new doctor. New doc has listened and tried several things, ending up with PaxilCR at the moment. Lexapro was very good, but he said it wasn't as anxiety-focused as the PaxilCR is.

Depression: I feel things acutely. My "filters" are off much of the time. I sit and almost feel mugged by my mind. Too many "right now" thoughts. Right now someone is beating their child again. Right now someone is torturing animals for sport. Right now someone is dying by inches in a disgusting and hopeless situation and nobody even knows about it. Right now while I'm sitting here someone is screaming and begging for mercy somewhere. It drives me crazy, but the meds sometimes seem to restore those filters so that I can live with some kind of peace. It just seems nowadays that some doctors are too quick on the trigger when giving these things out. Get blood tests, and if the doc seems like he's giving out candy on Halloween, see another doc.

posted on Jun, 16 2004 @ 01:18 PM
link   
I've been with my wife about 3yrs. Early on she told me she had had bouts with depression and had been on a variety of meds. Nothing really helped and she was untreated at the time. An MD diagnosed her with SAD (seasonal affective disorder). I got her a SAD light and suggested she start taking St. John's Wort and 5-HTP. This worked for the SAD but the underlying bi-polar would rear its head from time-to-time. It seemed periods of stress would trigger it. After one particularly dark period I urged her to see a Dr. and she was put on Prozac. It seemed to work but caused HUGE problems with her ability to climax. We played with her dosage and seemed to find a happy medium. After several months, however, her moods would periodically get nasty. She was uncharacteristically short-tempered and unfocused. Then, we saw a segment on Dateline or the Discovery channel about a preparation called Empower Plus. It's a concoction of vitamins and minerals. Since the Prozac wasn't cutting it she switched to the Empower and has been onn it for about 6mos. Although she doesn't always remember to take them it has worked great. No side effects and her BiP has been undercontrol.

posted on Jun, 16 2004 @ 01:21 PM
link   
I have been on remeron (mirtazapine) for 3+ years now and all I can say is that it changed my life for the better...the sky is finally blue occasionally, so to speak, and I don't find myself in tears for no concrete reason anymore - I was always someone who "poo-poo'd" anti-depressants for many years and then I was struck with a major depressive episode - I don't know what I would have done without the help that the medicine & therapy gave me...

posted on Jun, 16 2004 @ 01:44 PM
link   
anti-depressants are an excuse society uses to prevent people from taking true responsibility for their actions and the effects they have on people.

How many times have you been told to get over it or grow-up and felt so wronged by that?

that is your clue that feelings are real and powerful and can destroy a persons soul if they are not treated with kindness respect and tolerance.

But it is much easier to place the blame on someone else or give them drugs to placate them.

If you are going to take drugs please take something that is natural and not chemical and use it responsibly. When depressed people realize it is society that has been wrong all along not the sad souls of this earth only then can we move forward and try to bring about a change that allows us to embrace our true nature - peaceful caring beings.

For the people that let their ego guide them they will never understand these truths and sadly their is no hope for them until they can let go of their inflated ego's.

We need to experience misery so that we can achieve understanding of human nature. To protect us from the souls that wish to cause us harm or wish to make us question our beliefs. Use your depression as a teaching tool if you can. Feel secure in the knowledge that knowing your sadness is the truth that you have a soul. Embrace the beauty of pain as you embrace the beauty of love. Know that your pain is there because society allowed it to exist in there. Society wants us to deny our feelings and our soul by telling us to "deal with it". Sorry this is wrong absolutely wrong.

I have gone through depression for many years. I have been on a multitude of drugs and they were ALL destructive except for pot which is natural. I finally came to the realization understanding and belief that it is the way our society is structured that leads to depression. Because everywhere you turn people are oppressed and controlled and manipulated and are not allowed to experience their own life on their own terms. Depression is a sickness resulting from the imprisonment of your mind and soul and society teaches us to deny our true feelings.

just my opinion though and personally i would only want to be around people that have the same caring ideals as i do. I have no time for manipulation and fear. I see it for what it is.

posted on Jun, 16 2004 @ 02:17 PM
link   
what an IDIOTIC post.

Depression is not a weakness. it's not a character flaw. its a god damn chemical imbalance.

do some research. then come back with a valid opinion- you are the reason the ATS motto is "DENY IGNORANCE".

posted on Jun, 17 2004 @ 12:30 AM
link   
To repeat: Depression is a chemical imbalance. It's a disease just as heart disease, diabetes etc. It is NOT a weakness or lack of will.
I find it absolutely amazing that someone would post such an insensitive, as well as medically incorrect, post.
BASTA.
joey

posted on Jun, 17 2004 @ 12:31 AM
link   
and, by BASTA, I'm not calling you names. That's Spanish for "Enough".
I just want to make sure you understand. LOL.
joey

posted on Jun, 17 2004 @ 08:52 AM
link   
"Know that your pain is there because society allowed it to exist in there. Society wants us to deny our feelings and our soul by telling us to "deal with it". Sorry this is wrong absolutely wrong. "

I'm afraid I can't blame society for my pain anymore than I can credit society for my happiness. I won't tell you what your problem is or what has caused your pain because I don't know you or anything about you. If you have found that pot works best for you, that's great but please be careful buying it because one thing society WILL do is make your life worse if you're busted for it. Pot can be a great quick fix... you feel really awful, but in about 20 minutes you'll be mellow and maybe the pressure will be off. But even natural things can have adverse affects and may not be the right choice for all people. Prescription drugs are not always right, and what works for me might be a nightmare for someone else. It all depends on your individual makeup.

Clinical depression has nothing to do with society or souls or ego or anything else. That would seem to be a more spiritual/mental kind of analysis. This is one case where actually there is no one to blame, not ourselves or society. It's just some cells misfiring that need straightening out. The need to blame society for your pain might be an indication that there is a more deep seated issue to address.

posted on Jun, 17 2004 @ 10:05 AM
link   
I began having severe Migraine Headaches in 1977 and every drug prescibed did not kill the pain.

Only Valium would work on these headaches!

I took it and it gave me chronic depression.

So I was prescribed Antidepressants and they didn't work.

My Root Canal that I had since 1966 was abcessing and giving me the headaches!

I had tooth #10 extracted!

My headaches went away, I quit taking Valium and Antidepressants and I never ever get depressed, unless my Mom was dying, she's all better now.

1 Tooth Number 10 was causing headaches!

2 I took Valium to kill headache pain!

3 Valium gave me Depression!

4 Extracting the bad tooth got rid of the headaches!

And me, I'm just fine!

Valium and Alcohol and downers can give depression!

Avoid them!

posted on Jun, 17 2004 @ 03:26 PM
link   
I agree that you should avoid antidepressants, benzos, etc. for something that is, eventually, diagnosed as tooth pain..or any other condition that's not meant to be treated by such medicines.
What I've been talking about is the use of antidepressants etc. for people who have been diagnosed with clinical depression and/or panic disorder. These meds are made to treat these specific diseases. They don't "give" you depression if you already have clinical depression.
I have to observe, it seems, that as enlightened as we all are, there is STILL a vast misunderstanding of clinical depression and associated illnesses (and I emphasize the word "illnesses).
joey

posted on Jun, 18 2004 @ 03:38 PM
link   
pumpkyn.......to start with, Bobbo, joey, and torque said it well. I would add that you mentioned "inflated ego"....unless I'm mistaken, most people who suffer depression have low self esteem. I'm not trying to be disrespectful, but you say that people need to let go of the ego, yet say that you only want to be around people that share your caring ideas. Ego?

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join