It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anti-depressants... your own experiences...

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12 >>

join
share:
dh

posted on Dec, 21 2004 @ 06:57 PM
link   
Come on - your so obsessed with your personal dope, you can't see anything else
All these are toxins designed to create passive zombies created by the evil drug cartels. You'll achieve nothing from this
You are getting bad messages from the EM Zap and Schumann Resonance uprating
Drugs will do nothing but blur consciousness and make you susceptible to the darkest forces on the planet
Get out of the trap
Depressives - this world is yours for the taking

posted on Dec, 21 2004 @ 10:28 PM
link   
RE: Lexapro. I switched from Prozac to Lexapro last spring. For me, Lexapro wasn't as effective as Prozac and I switched back. Of course, all our body chemistry's are so different that you might have the totally opposite experience. It's hard for me to really define what I didn't like about Lexapro...I will try to explain, however. On Prozac, I just find that my panic attacks don't kick in as much or as easily and that my mood is lightened. On Lexapro, my panic (which is my #1 diagnosis with depression as #2) seemed to be heightened. Also, I felt more "drugged" on Lexapro than Prozac. But, again, I hesitate to even say this because you experience might be completely different. Really, when talking of antidepressants, it is so individual.
As for the post saying that antidepressants' are "evil" etc. ...that's a broad generalization. People who suffer from truly debilitating diseases such as clinical depression or panic disorder are much safer taking the drugs than facing the side effects of the disease...if left untreated.
joey

posted on Dec, 23 2004 @ 02:54 AM
link   
Wow, I'm really quite surprised at how many people are being drugged for depression and such.

I think it will be quite interesting to discover the long-term effects this kind of treatment will turn up. (as this generation has such a high percentage of people taking paxil, prozac, ridalin, etc.)

posted on Dec, 23 2004 @ 05:18 AM
link   
I haven't had time to read this entire thread, but would like to add my 2 cents worth anyway: unless you're truly in danger of harming yourself or others DON'T TAKE THESE DRUGS!

Doctors are far too quick to prescribe them. I was "diagnosed" several years ago as "maybe" having mild depression...no of the so-called experts could agree, but nevertheless I was prescribed about every anti-depressant known to man, one after the other, starting with Prozac and ending with Effexor. None of them did a damn bit of good, all zombie-ized me to some extent, all had various unwanted side-effects, and the Effexor (seriously) nearly killed me. (I've never been addicted to heroin or any other drug, but coming off Effexor was worse than anything you could imagine...the first & only time I've considered suicide, I just wanted the "noises" to go away and my brain to stop "convulsing"...)

I doubt very much if these drugs have "saved hundereds of thousands of lives" as one person posted. They CAN, of course, save lives in cases of severe psychosis, but for everyone else (imho) they ruin lives, although often in a very subtle way.

Drugs are the easy way out. There is no magic bullet to overcome depression. It takes time, effort, and support.

I'm not sure how useful counseling is (especially Cognitive Behavior Therapy, which I also had & found fairly useless), but at least it won't turn you into a zombie or kill you.

Like Nancy said: "Just Say No."

posted on Dec, 31 2004 @ 03:55 AM
link   
Just quickly read some of the previous posts on this thread, seeing that it's so large in number, I guess I'll just add my experiences with antidepressant meds. When I was 15 years old, I was diagnosed with severe depression. I was put on numerous "trial & error" meds until the Dr. found one that was right for me. I even participated in a new drug study and tried my luck with that, unfortunately, it did not work for me. Eventually, I was put on Zoloft, which had really worked wonders for me. I'm currently unmedicated but still go through my little episodes of depressions from time to time, but I get over them fairly quickly, nothing as extreme as the depressive state I was in at 15 years of age.
All in all, I'd have to say, they did help me a great deal.

posted on Jan, 1 2005 @ 04:48 PM
link   
bump

[edit on 1-1-2005 by stockbender]

posted on Jan, 2 2005 @ 12:45 AM
link   
just seeing this thread prompted me to finally join this forum...
it makes me happy to see that individuals are willing to open up on such an issue in a public forum. well done!

i have fought with mild depression all my life, but nine months ago it started developing into panick attacks. it finally had to stop.
went to the doctor and got set up on a daily 20mg paxil regimen.
it wasn't a magic bullett that changed my life but needless to say it allowed me to pick myself up by the boots and get back on with my life. both my parents have been medicated for it, is it genetic? i wouldnt doubt it in the least. it was a hard decision for me to make but i wouldn't change my choice for anything.

posted on Jan, 2 2005 @ 09:31 AM
link   
for me 2 large double wammys happened to me within the course of 2 years... its strange how life deals out the bad luck and sometimes with perfect timing.

I ended up on prozac, took it for about 1 year - it gave me terrible headaches - i just stopped takin it, and fight depression now by being spontanious - putting my toe in the water and just going with it all.

posted on Jan, 3 2005 @ 02:02 PM
link   
They say omega-3 fish oil works wonders for depression, with none of these crazy side effects.

posted on Jan, 3 2005 @ 11:10 PM
link   
I don't want to fight with anyone here, but screw the drugs of Psychology and Psychiatry! This garbage only holds you back from actually getting better. Does an alcoholic ever handle their problems by numbing themselves by getting drunk all the time. When they sober up, the problems are still there if they don't do something effective to handle them. Things like proper nutrition and correct supplementation are better alternatives to putting garbage in your body that doesn't belong there. And if you are nervous about being around people then wouldn't it be better to just improve your ability to communicate with people, instead of popping a pill to numb your fears. Folks, fears don't go away unless you actually handle them. And to put kids on drugs because they suffer from some fake disease is terrible, how many fake diseases are going to be created, in the name of profit. Kids as far as I know can be a bit active. I am not blasting those who really want to help people, but end up in the fields of Psychology and Psychiatry. I am blasting the outright insanity of drugs like Prozac and Ritalin, people are being preyed on. And yes I know kids or know of kids who are on Ritalin and have been on Ritalin, and no it has not helped them.

Allright, I'll get off my soapbox now. Take care.

Troy

posted on Jan, 22 2005 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Proud American on meds for depression and I get a shrink with it too! lol
When they say I am a crazy nut, I would smile to the comment. Not all nuts grow on trees..................LOL

posted on Jan, 22 2005 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by broken_halo
is it genetic?

Yes, it is I hate to say. Within my family many have it.

posted on Jan, 22 2005 @ 07:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seth Bullock
Most people that suffer from depression have a chemical imbalance (lack of serotonin) in their brain.

never been proven, and never will be, because its not true.

posted on Jan, 26 2005 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Far too many people are often mistaken about anti-depressants, the now older SSRIs, they don't ''restore'' or ''correct'' the amount of serotonin, they slow the reuptake; to put it simply, when a signal in the brain is reabsored by the nerves that released it, the serotonin reuptake inhibitors (Paxil, Prozac, etc) slow the transfer down. Since serotonin is ''believed'' to be linked to an elavation in mood, it is common sense~ medicine will progress as time goes on, old fashion remedies will be dumped.

I take Venlafaxine XR (Effexor) for severe anxiety - no problems, no complicated stories about ''experiences'', or how I felt like ''dying'' or waking up and suggesting I start a protest against manufacturers & pharmacies.
Just a medication I was recommended. If all fails then it fails - try another. Conspiracy is beyond me~

[edit on 26-1-2005 by SteveG]

posted on Feb, 4 2005 @ 10:56 AM
link   
SteveG did you ever consider therapy or couselling? I'm curious as I opted for the talk and not the medication. How did you go about getting medication? Did you just see your doctor?

posted on Feb, 4 2005 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Duke_Nukem
It sometimes takes awhile to find the correct drug and doseage, but the difference is just amazing. Everyone has been sad, but take that feeling and intensify it to the point that the world looks physicaly bleaker, colors are dull, NOTHING is worthwhile, and this goes on 24/7.

After finding the right med though, it's like you get your life back, there's still joy and sorrow but in the normal way of ups and downs instead of always down.

i agree wholeheartedly.

i was on antidepressants for several yrs...........i've had them all. some of them had side effects.........nausea, light headedness,grogginess........but when faced with depression and the alternative.......suicide......you will suffer through about anything to feel better.

i've had zoloft,welbutrin,paxil,prozac,effxor and a couple of others that escape me right now...........

but i believe when these meds are prescribed and the patient EDUCATES themself on the meds and effects............and follows the directions correctly ...........they can be a huge benefit.

i know for a fact that if i hadn't been able to get to a physician and get treatment that i would be dead by now..........

i'm a big believer in these meds as i stand as a testament to the fact that they DO work..........it would be great if they were like an asprin for a headache and you got better IMMEDIATELY...........but these things alter the chemistry in the brain that is OUT OF BALANCE........and it doesn't happen over night..........it takes days and sometimes several weeks to get them fully in your system to receive the full effect of them.

i really get ticked off with folks that take a stand against something they don't understand..........like DEPRESSION..........and the need for meds to get better.

you don't just decide one day to be depressed...........and sleep most of the day away.........never smile..........loss of interest in family and friends......its a CHEMICAL imbalance.........you can't just DECIDE to be better and BOOM........you're cured............doesn't work that way.....

i'm referring to TRUE............clinical depression...........not to someone just having a bad day.............there's a HUGE difference!!!

angie

posted on Feb, 4 2005 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaltyBeachedRat
Anti-depressants are for weak people who wish to hide from their karma. Truth.

[Edited on 7-5-2004 by SaltyBeachedRat]

your comments are just the type that i referred to in previous post...........folks that are totally clueless as to the depths of this terrible problem.

if a were a total little jerk like you appear to be based on your comments..........i'd wish depression on you.............but i'm not so i'll just say this.............."it is better to let people THINK you are an idiot than to open your mouth and dispel all doubt". go back to your cave.

angie

[edit on 4-2-2005 by amb1063]

posted on Feb, 4 2005 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by cybertroy
I don't want to fight with anyone here, but screw the drugs of Psychology and Psychiatry! This garbage only holds you back from actually getting better. Does an alcoholic ever handle their problems by numbing themselves by getting drunk all the time. When they sober up, the problems are still there if they don't do something effective to handle them. Things like proper nutrition and correct supplementation are better alternatives to putting garbage in your body that doesn't belong there. And if you are nervous about being around people then wouldn't it be better to just improve your ability to communicate with people, instead of popping a pill to numb your fears. Folks, fears don't go away unless you actually handle them. And to put kids on drugs because they suffer from some fake disease is terrible, how many fake diseases are going to be created, in the name of profit. Kids as far as I know can be a bit active. I am not blasting those who really want to help people, but end up in the fields of Psychology and Psychiatry. I am blasting the outright insanity of drugs like Prozac and Ritalin, people are being preyed on. And yes I know kids or know of kids who are on Ritalin and have been on Ritalin, and no it has not helped them.

Allright, I'll get off my soapbox now. Take care.

Troy

i'll agree with part of your statement............proper nutrition and a healthy lifestyle are key ..............BUT..........and this is a HUGE but.......sometimes even CLEAN LIVING folks in the very best of health, taking all the right supplements,getting plenty of rest, lots of exercise..........even THESE folks can get stricken with clinical depression..............

the meds are not all bad.............they are a necessity for many of us out here.

angie

posted on Feb, 5 2005 @ 06:17 PM
link   
ohh nice thread , i~am a severe panic attack sufferer and have been on seroxat(paxil in US) for about a year now and OMG has my life changed for the better yea sure had a real real hard time with the meds for the first few weeks but it clears, my anxiety attacks where soo bad at one stage i couldnt move and i mean that litterally i couldnt even move my head without dizzyness, couldnt eat , speak deal with anything basically. such an awful thing to have in your life but it can be successfully treated or at least kept on its leash , me personally i think i will always be a bit panicky i dont think it will ever go away but its under control and if im meant to be that way then hey im meant to be that way.
i found that one of the greatest problems for PA SA GAD DEPRESSION etc etc suffers have is the immense percieved social stigma attatched to these illnesses , and well it is an illness just like any other , you wouldnt be afraid to tell people you had a cold so why be afraid top tell eople you suffer from an anxiety disorder? i agree with what most other people have said about this , the meds give you the edge to start some councelling to heklp you through it.

posted on Mar, 9 2007 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Screw everyone that wants people to be on pills or ppl that are on pills!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
: lol:

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12 >>

join