It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mississippi's still fattest but Alabama closing in

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Mississippi's still fattest but Alabama closing in

news.yahoo.com

WASHINGTON – Mississippi's still king of cellulite, but an ominous tide is rolling toward the Medicare doctors in neighboring Alabama: obese baby boomers
It's time for the nation's annual obesity rankings and, outside of fairly lean Colorado, there's little good news. Obesity rates among adults rose in 23 states over the past year and didn't decline anywhere, says a new report from the Trust for America's Health and the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Ok so what is the conspiracy angle here???
The poorest state, Missisippi, is in the lead followed by Michigan, West Virginia, Tennesee and Alabama, all poverty ridden states that feed on government subsidized Little Debbie snacks from their local Walmart. They cannot afford to eat healthier nor do they have the correct information since the majority count on government funded healthcare that toots the FDA's horn and recomends the FDA's skewed food pyramid.
The higher socio economic states like Colorado, Maryland and Conneticut have the lowest percentages.
Also check out this little tidbit...
"Health economists once made the harsh financial calculation that the obese would save money by dying sooner, notes Jeff Levi, executive director of the Trust, a nonprofit public health group. But more recent research instead suggests they live nearly as long but are much sicker for longer, requiring such costly interventions as knee replacements and diabetes care and dialysis. Studies show Medicare spends anywhere from $1,400 to $6,000 more annually on health care for an obese senior than for the non-obese."
news.yahoo.com...

Whoops! Messed that all up, now we have an epidimic and it is costing us more moneyy and nobody is dieing as previously thought.
If our government is going to subsidize anything it should be healthy whole foods. Time to audit the FDA and get the correct information out to the people and it is time for the FDA to step and do their freaking jobs and actually get rid of all this crap that is killing us, stop letting these corporate monsters take shortcuts with our ingrediants, time for the FDA to protect the people and not the bottom line.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 02:12 PM
link   
I thought there would be more interest in this since it combines so many of the active topics on this board...

FDA food pyramid recomendations.

Government subsidizing of foods that are killing us at our local Wallyworlds but nnot contributing anything to foods we actually need to be healthy.

The earlier prediction of obese costing less because they die sooner...only to find that they dont and how that plays into the new health plan and only the fittest and the strongest survive.

Socio economic status has an impact on your health...

Why does the FDA regulate nutrition supplements but stay far away from aspertame, corn syrup, bleached flour, perservatives, hormones, chemicals, msg, dyes and pretty much all other additives to our foods that are killing us?

And finally how does big pharma fit in with all of the pills medicare will be paying for because of the conditions that are brought on by obesity?

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 02:16 PM
link   
see it starts more and more...

People ready to jump and post thread's on fat people..ect...

exactly as i predicted when obama chopped my tobacco's head off.
next run fat people!!!!!!!!!!!
sorry to bad you can't run..and i can't push you in a wheel barrel cause i smoke

but still watch how many people will love the idea of taxing fast food to heaven and back.
taxing soda pop
candy bars
anything chocolate

cooked in grease 2 dollars more tax lol

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 02:23 PM
link   
It's really sad that the poor have inadequate access to healthy foods, but its pretty easy to imagine obesity rampant through the lower classes when you can down 5 double cheeseburgers for $5 at your local McD's.

What I find interesting is the trend for obesity to be more rampant in the southern states. Is it just because those states tend to be poorer, or is it a lifestyle that exists in the south?

I wonder because, as a skinny man living in FL, I can say I can't imagine what it would be like to have extra body weight dragging me down in this summer heat. This past week it got up to 101 where I live, and I was sweating all week. It must be absolutely horrible for overweight individuals who have to deal with these sorts of temperatures with the limitations that obesity imposes on a human being's ability to cope with their environment.

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by TheAmused

I am with you on the taxes and the smoke.
We wouldnt have to tax a damn thing if we had a greater understanding of nutrition rather than the FDAs skewed guidelines. Education not tax is what we need, if our Government would subsidize whole foods to help affordability rather than practically giving away Little Debbies we wouldnt have close to the issues we face today with not just weight but also general health and mental conditions.

top topics

join