It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Decadeology - a legit theory?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 10:16 AM
link   
For the past several years, I have been developing a science based around the study of how popular culture seems to change each decade or so.

What's interesting, is that at the turn of some decades, there is a paradigm shift and indeed a discontinuity in history and society, while some other decades merely continue the trends of the past decade.

For example, in the early '90s there was a HUGE shift away from the '80s. Within a few short years, from 1989 to 1993, people completely ditched everything they dug in the '80s and got into new stuff.

Fast forward 15-20 years, to 2009 - much of what was considered cool/new/cutting edge in 1993, is still considered that today! People still sag their pants, listen to hip hop, dig irony and sarcasm.

1993 is more like 2009 than it is like 1989.

I think time is discontinuous. Some years seem to occupy more time than others. This decade has flown by very fast. Does 2000-2009 really seem as long as 1990-1999? Not even close!

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Donnie Darko Does 2000-2009 really seem as long as 1990-1999? Not even close!

Well that's because as you get older a period of time represents a smaller percentage of your life than it did previously. That's why time seems to fly as you age.

When you are five years old a year is one fifth of your life. But when you are twenty five, well you can see where I'm going with it...

Add to this phenomenon the complete media saturation of our culture which drives the evolution of trends/ideas at a frenetic pace and the effect on our perception of time is likely to be dizzying.

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Actually I find trends these days to go more slowly, I mean 2009 is still pretty similar to the '90s. today is nowhere near as trendy as the 70s.

[edit on 1-7-2009 by Donnie Darko]

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 10:57 AM
link   
I've noticed the same thing, and notice it mostly in fashion.

60's style clothing became fashionable again in the late 90's. Then 70's style in the early 2000's. Then 80's became cool. All the new bands sounded influenced by the 80's and even the emo/goth/mosher kids were wearing the same gear the metallers were wearing in the 80's. I see a lot of young kids are wearing luminous leg warmers, leggings, tutus and tight jeans these days.

Now i'm even starting to see 90's fashion about. I think it's a bit early for 90's to be back in fashion, but it's happening here.

I'm a DJ and i'm always on top of the latest dance tunes. It's all 90's these days, like some kind of acid techno revival is going on.

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 11:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Nammu

The same thing has been happening for a long time.

Remember the big resurgence of blues in the 60's. Blues which hadn't been around for 30 years.

it's all a cycle man.

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 12:19 PM
link   
i cant wait til old school heavy metal and thrash are back. OP when do you and your theory foresee (new) Iron Maiden and Megadeth style bands hitting the stage?

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Check out Iced Earth mano

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Yeah i can see where your coming at about the acid house scene coming back round. A lot of trance songs are starting to be released lately as well

Also again with the fashion, those checked lumberjack shirts that everyone wore in the 90's started being sold in the shops

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mr Headshot
reply to post by Nammu

The same thing has been happening for a long time.

Remember the big resurgence of blues in the 60's. Blues which hadn't been around for 30 years.

it's all a cycle man.

Exaclty, everything in this universe revolves around cycles. Sun goes down, sun comes up is just one example of many of the cycles of life in this universe. Not surprising times and trends also make cycles. I'm excited to see when some of the trends of the time were in now will pop up in the future. As for time I feel every year seems to go fast and that their is never enough time.

Zetetic_of_Truth

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Griffo
Yeah i can see where your coming at about the acid house scene coming back round. A lot of trance songs are starting to be released lately as well

Also again with the fashion, those checked lumberjack shirts that everyone wore in the 90's started being sold in the shops

What's funny, is the 90s never really ended to begin with. Kids born in 1993 dig stuff that is similar to what was popular when they were born.

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Spot on Darko. I still consider myself a 90's kid (born in 88) even though I feel more related to the 30's than anything =/

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mr Headshot
Spot on Darko. I still consider myself a 90's kid (born in 88) even though I feel more related to the 30's than anything =/

i was born in jan 90 and i too am definitely a 90s kid

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 06:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Griffo

I've noticed the trance revival as well. I'm struggling finding tunes i actually like these days. I play electro and italo disco. '80s influenced modern dance music' is how i like to describe my electro. But all that's being released now is acid, progressive, trancy, euro dancy, commercial and boring sounding stuff that seems to get lumped in the 'electro' section for no apparent reason. I'm wading through 100's of tunes and not finding even one i want to buy. If i see one more remix of Utah Saints - Something Good coming out i'll pack up my decks
I mean, I liked that song when it was first released, but i'm getting fed up with it now.

Originally posted by Donnie Darko
Kids born in 1993 dig stuff that is similar to what was popular when they were born.

That's so true, cause i was born in '82 and always HATED the 80's. But now i'm older and got into dance music i realised all the good stuff and influences that came from the 80's (especially the kids TV shows!) and love that decade now. The italo disco i prefer is 1980-1986 usually.

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 07:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Nammu

, man that's just an insane level of categorisation. i understand you have to be of a certain mindset to be a good DJ, have a keen mind for the subtle differences and similarities, but good dear lord, that's rough.

on topic, yeah, it's all got about cycles, sort of. the last 50 or 60 years culture has been linked to guitar music and i think a chunk of it comes down to ability.

in the fifties teenagers picked up rock and roll, which was really a mix of country and blues stuff without the difficult finger work and intricate chording. as the musicians became better the music became more intricate.

then the 60's kids couldn't play complex contemporary stuff and started playing simpler blues stuff again. they got better at playing and moved, eventually, into prog rock.

then the kids said enough of that and went back to blues and rock and roll again and we get the punky stuff that eventually becomes the stadium rock of the 80's.

then you get the alternative grungy stuff......and on.

the thing is, since the late 80's, electronic assistance has allowed people to create a few new forms of music that rely less on a slowly progressive learning curve for the expression of talent than they do on standing on the shoulders of your predecessors. this has stilted the cyclical nature of culture, made it more evolutionary than it was before.

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 08:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nammu
The italo disco i prefer is 1980-1986 usually.

one italo-disco gem is Depeche Mode's Speak and Spell ... i mean they're British but it's very Italo-influenced ... Just Can't Get Enough is an 80s classic

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 09:05 AM
link   
I've wondered about that too also, even with music. Some of the 90's music was fairly decent compared to the music now. I guess I should be more specific, I think the pop music in the 90's was better than what's pop today. The melody in some of the pop songs today are incredibly boring and appeal on a really basic level, and I don't think that was as much the case in the 90's. Some of the songs now shouldn't even be called songs, like Avril's "Girlfriend" or that one groups "Photograph", both sold really well though.

This doesn't make sense more than likely, but I always wondered if presidents had any impact on pop culture. Clinton years had a certain style of music, then it seemed to change when Bush became president. Or maybe its the economy that influences culture to a large extent.

[edit on 2-7-2009 by ghaleon12]

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by ghaleon12
I've wondered about that too also, even with music. Some of the 90's music was fairly decent compared to the music now.

[edit on 2-7-2009 by ghaleon12]

Yeah, 90s music doesn't have the classic factor the 60s, 70s and 80s do, but it's also not an absolute JOKE like most 00s music.

new topics

top topics

join