It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can ATS Change the World?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 07:42 AM
link   
There are many websites that could claim are making and impact in changing the world but the only one so far in my eyes is Youtube. If you want old news stories and peoples opinions then Youtube is there to be known by the world.

I ask since we are all trying to convince and expand knowledge on this site to many people across the world be it members or outside interest, can we change the path of historical events or have an influence?

Do politicians care about conspiracy theories do they have time to look into UFO sightings do they care? Are they just covering it all up do they care if people here are trying to uncover it?

What about personal experiences, do they come to investigate it or are we seen as having a large imagination and dramatise inconclusive events and emotions that most of the world would not care anyway?

Can ATS have the power to change political and religious views if not to members but the outside world too or is it too underground to have any effect? Some are a little paranoid of what we say could be used against us, some just need ATS to get our anxieties off our chest.

What do you think?

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 08:46 AM
link   
I think on a very limited scale this site might produce some talking points to people who aren't very familiar with certain subjects and for the educated posters who own most subjects this place is just another platform to spew rhetoric. ATS doesn't usually break stories and the media attention it receives is usually folly at best. ATS'rs are usually not closet skeptics in my opinion, I think we are all ready to stand up for issues we are partial. When I was trolling these boards before the Lear incident, this place had a lot more appeal to people who had ideas that were fringe. Fringe is definitely still here, unfortunately people are getting more and more reluctant to discuss ideas because it always turns into a political battle. I think ATS should post a sign that says 'leave your agenda at the door'. I am as guilty as anyone when it comes to defending a position or just being passionate about a subject. In our governments eyes the only thing this site is good for is dissent, and putting all the conspiracy theorists on one website. I think Twitter has shown in the last couple of weeks that it has potential to keep the media flowing. I think it's ironic that the Iranian government is now using technology to track everyone who made phone calls and sent e-mails.

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 08:57 AM
link   
Sure, and it does every day by bringing forth awareness. Not all change needs to be huge to be meaningful to change the world.

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 09:14 AM
link   
i really don't think that this site really has an impact on the outside world, due to the fact that most people (yes, it may come as a surprise to some people) don't believe in conspiracy theories and what not.

I've tried numerous times to share my thoughts on conspiracy theories especially one's about osama bin laden with other's ... most people get defensive and just don't even give it a shot because they think that the government is running this country as best it can.

What i'm trying to say is no, I don't think ATS can change the world ... at least not yet ... with Obama as president, the way this country is going, the non-stop wars, and people's thoughts about the media ... I think that more and more people will be opening their eyes to the possibility that their is something going on ... I mean look at the increase in site traffic here as of late.

Maybe in the future ATS will have a bigger impact/get a lot more people, and could possibly change the world...

You know what they say nothing is impossible.

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 09:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by The time lord
Can ATS have the power to change political and religious views if not to members but the outside world too or is it too underground to have any effect? Some are a little paranoid of what we say could be used against us, some just need ATS to get our anxieties off our chest.

What do you think?

I don't think ATS has much of an impact on the outside world.

I don't even think that ATS has much of an impact on the membership of this site, unless they are very young and haven't developed a core belief system. Most have a preconceived view of the world when they get here and no matter how much evidence is presented, they remain stoic in their attitudes. A gathering of the tribes, so to speak.

The appeal of ATS for its entertainment value is the fact that it's interactive with others that perhaps share your views or not.

ATS is a safe way to debate without getting a physical bloody nose.

I think if ATS really started making an impact on the outside world; it would be shut down so fast, it would make your head swim.

[edit on 1-7-2009 by whaaa]

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 09:36 AM
link   
yes i think ATS could change the world, ATS has a large community of people from all over the world and i think if everyone came together and set out to find solid proof of the things that are going on in this world we could all change the world .

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 09:42 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

I'd argue that every action anyone takes changes the world, and I'm not referring to the choices/multiverse theory. I have no doubt that ATS can be a catalyst, or seed planter if you will, for change. It's the members I'm referring to, which is what ATS really is.

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it's the only thing that ever has.

~Margaret Mead

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 09:49 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

You need only change the mind of one person to have changed the world. True, it's not Earth shattering or deal breaking, but it's change non-the-less. In time those small, incremental changes add up.

Will those small changes make a difference in the larger scheme of things. I don't know. Perhaps someday they might.

Until then, I'm content learning and growing as an individual. ATS helps me to do that.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

[edit on 1-7-2009 by mrwupy]

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 10:17 AM
link   
I believe that this sight has some of the brightest and most intelligent people on the planet every single day. I was pretty much coming from the perspective of Baseball101, the people on here may have a great impact on the world someday and we all create subtle changes everyday. Most everyday people develop tunnel vision and respond only to issues that directly effect themselves without even acknowledging the big picture, let alone becoming pro active to actually make a change. I suppose if you are even active on a site like this, it takes courage, guts, or ignorance to put your ideas or opinions out there no matter how outlandish it may sound. As for the site itself, if say a guy like Ted Turner or Rupert Murdoch latched on and brought ATS to the forefront of media attention it would explode, but at the same time cease to be what it was created for. Time will tell, it always does. On a side note I used to introduce friends to ATS and many have enjoyed the site, some have laughed, but I figure if someone has an ATS'ers mind(whatever that is, lol) they would have found it themselves.

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 10:32 AM
link   
How can it change the world though? Most conspiracies on here are near enough available on most other websites of this ilk. Or do you mean the conspiracy cyber world?

I work with around 35-40 people, and I'd wager that none of them have even heard of ATS, Or even care for conspiracies for that matter.

Most don't care about 9/11, JFK, Illuminati, supposed fake moon landings or aliens. It gets in the way of their safe cosy lives.

Lets face it, more people are interested in an over the hill singers death to remotely care what might be going on if they only opened their eyes.

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by thesneakiod
Lets face it, more people are interested in an over the hill singers death to remotely care what might be going on if they only opened their eyes.

Precisely, information that disrupts ones cosmological view is uncomfortable. It is much safer to think about something that is far
removed from ones personal reality then to think that we have no free will
and are merely manipulated beings.

It takes a very concerted effort to climb out of the box.

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 10:55 AM
link   
I think we can and have made a difference.

My honest opinion is that it is very important to discuss these topics in the net, no matter how far out they seem to be at first glance. At least it is made clear for TPTB that we know(or suspect) what they are doing. There are so many members from different countries at this site, perhaps this site is best described as international 'watchdog'.

And by the way, i think this site is a great resource for learning english. I'm from scandinavia and had never before heard of KOOL-AID
(infact i had to check it out from wikipedia...)

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Some of the topics we discuss are some of the hardest in the world because they include everything that the rest of the world won't believe anyway and is a good outlet for the people who are in a prison of fear if they have experienced the weird and the strange. Half the time you can not tell family members, think of the people who had no one to speak to but only us, that is why we should respect each other more, there are probably a lot of victims out there of the paranormal experiences, social distresses and confusion about their faith. Why should we not help each other, this site should be used with the intention to ease our anxieties so we can all relate and point to people into the right direction.

Even if this site is no Youtube yet, if it can help one person from feeling less depressed or even worse then we should all feel proud.

It's a shame when it becomes personal, we all see it on other sites, sport sites are the worse kind, people can be nasty but if we express one view, it should not be seen as attacking but trying to workout the world we are in and even better is to wake some people up a bit and expand their area of interest to further the knowledge to help build a bigger picture.

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 07:04 PM
link   
But if ATS became a phenomenon around the world then in some ways it would not have the same underground feel to it and would most likely get banned the more important people come to it. It could end up like YouTube and Google and things will become restrictive, something this site needs to avoid. If people don’t like the NWO then sometimes it’s best to keep your head low so at least people can chat without it getting world coverage and interference from cooperate outsiders. It’s just a thought; we seem to see it in websites where they all get changed and they are never the same.

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 10:46 PM
link   
well, i do think we're always ahead of the game ... just like Coast to Coast AM ... does that make sense?

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 12:04 AM
link   

Can ATS Change the World?

Well, it’s funny that you would say that. Because the “world” could get the impression that many on here don’t seem to understand the implications of a site like this. Maybe it’s just a tendency of the moment, as the political events are still so fresh but like a poster above nicely put it, it seems to be a platform for tribal wars at times.

I’m aware that there are many foes infiltrating this site with darker agendas, however they can succeed in giving the wrong first impression to visitors. I would even go as far as to say that the craziest paranormal claims and hoaxes are not more of the problem.

Don’t forget that you’re giving ATS a globalist purpose, a threat vehemently decried here and a smear label giving at will to anybody.
How can the bigger picture even cross the mind of somebody who can’t even come to accept his/her fellow compatriots?

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 12:40 AM
link   
Yes, we do have the power to change the world, but it would take the knowledge we've gained and spreading it to the masses, to wake them up before the NWO implements the first stages of Martial Law.

That's our hope, otherwise we'll all dead.

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 01:59 AM
link   
Uneducated people like myself, can come here and learn many things easily especially when they are sourced.

But, I think ATS is more of a reflection from knowledge gained from outside sources for most. Someone who is educated in a particular topic probably sticks to more of what they know, and can expound on their knowledge. Therefore has more authority in a subject and are not as easily influenced. So, I couldnt really say that ATS could change the world in that regard.

Though, I have to say this. I think it could be a breakthrough in the way people get news. I cant say how many times I have been sitting here, and I will see a new thread, and then boom...all of a sudden I see it on the news 2 seconds later or 5 minutes later, or I will hear about it the next day....on CNN or whatever. Everytime it happens...Im like..well, ill be dammed, I just read about that!

I could see the sloagan now....

ATS... your worldwide leader in Breaking News

...damn corporatists

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 03:31 AM
link   
reply to post by baseball101

I've tried numerous times to share my thoughts on conspiracy theories especially one's about osama bin laden with other's ... most people get defensive and just don't even give it a shot because they think that the government is running this country as best it can.

I tend to agree. From my own experience of talking to, and trying to talk to people about various ATS type subjects, I have found that people are either too naive to understand, usually because they're young. Or too old to care. They might know you're right, but they understand the futility of caring about it.

So I think the period in life where people become informed (some just don't) and angry enough to shout about it on the internet and such, is quite a short one. If we just have naive and apathetic people having kids, those kids will just grow up the same. What we need is the angry idealists to have kids, and pass that critical thinking along. With enough of that, it might just be that one day, the internet-if left untampered with, could become a remarkable democratizing tool for people who want to talk about the truth. Maybe one day with enough blogs and boards like this, the mainstream media will totally melt away in the same way that newspapers are right now. Independent journalism, now there's a dream

posted on Jul, 3 2009 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lazyninja
reply to post by baseball101

I tend to agree. From my own experience of talking to, and trying to talk to people about various ATS type subjects, I have found that people are either too naive to understand, usually because they're young. Or too old to care. They might know you're right, but they understand the futility of caring about it.

You completely missed people who just think quality of data in ATS subjects is quite bad.

Think university faculty, grad students, professors etc. They don't hang around here joining the "truth seeking", why's that? They are interested in all kinds of strange stuff anyways!

Quality is just bad. For us "non-conspiracy-theorist" people this site has mostly entertainment value.

By internet searching to internet forum, made by amateurs.

Maybe one day with enough blogs and boards like this, the mainstream media will totally melt away in the same way that newspapers are right now. Independent journalism, now there's a dream

I'd rather believe in BBC than some blogger who writes from his bedroom. Atleast (respected) mainstream media does more than a google search before publishing a story.

If I'd have to trust individual bloggers or ATS for all my information.. well.. no thank you.

[edit on 3-7-2009 by Coeus]

[edit on 3-7-2009 by Coeus]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join