It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I've Been Asked to Commit Conspiracy

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 10:12 AM
link   
what would the workers say about the cheap blades? would they refuse to work? would they buy thier own blades ? why does the company feel they need to keep this from the workers? doesn't the company own the pruners and can use any consumables they want? i could come up with more questions but i think people can see where i'm going with this.

those questions haven been asked, now for a cheap shot statement.

i'm glad to see that the US is not the only place that china is selling cheap knock offs to. here in the states we get all kinds of that junk, to look at it seems like it is of good qualtiy, but it doesn't hold up. theres stuff that comes from other countries that i wont name but china seems to be the worst.

as far as tring to bring it out in the open,hard to say, i can see you are concrened about the workers, and that it seems to bug you. and you do have to think about your own self. truth is all ways the best way to go.
maybe you could work some figures about the loss of production and you and your boss maybe set up a pow wow with the big chesse's and show them the errror of thier ways.

other than that i say follow whats in your heart and do that.

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 10:29 AM
link   
I'm confused, you say "They all paid a bond of $50 to be retuned after the season if they hadn't used too many blades" and then you say "On average they make excellent money (upwards of $25 an hour) and are paid on a per vine basis".

So for the sake of two hours lost wages over a season, i would agree with a previous poster and get them to destroy as many cheap blades as possible, even encourage them to cut wire to expedite the bluntness.

The lost profit margin will soon permeate to top management where they will realise their idiotic decision to cut corners.

Hit 'em where it hurts...in the pocket.

Good luck.

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 10:39 AM
link   
What a lame-arse boss. Equipment like that is essential to the job is a tax deduction to the company, surely. He will have more trouble in the end if the pruners end up making workers comp claims or making formal complaints about the bluntness of the gear en-masse. All one of them would have to do would be to take it to a blade manufacturer to find out that it is of lesser quality.

But yeah, workers comp claims....let him know that he'd be up for A LOT of money there if that were to happen.

Nice to see another fellow Aussie here. Are you WA?

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 12:22 PM
link   
You are in a very unique situation.
You have the ability to look out for the little guy.
These guys do not get a fair shake many times and to be able to help them is a good place to be.
The company is saving $120 (3x$20 blades) per person + the chance of keeping $50 (bond lost) That is $170 per hand. It's too bad you have to risk your job to do right.
I'd let it slip that the blades are imitations or at least plant a seed of doubt in their heads. Maybe get one to speak up to the others about it. It's hard to do right when it can hurt yourself.
In any case, your guys should be happy that you care about their well being.

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 04:53 AM
link   
Hey All,

Work was fun today.

Today I showed up half and hour early and made my way to the tool shed. I got each and every one of the fake blades (around 40 in total) and put them on my bosses desk. Then I waited till he got in so we could have a chat.

I wasn't demanding, or abusive towards him. I simply stated that I was unable to let this continue the way it was and he would have to make some changes.

I gave my boss a couple of options:
1.We could tell the pruners about the change in blade quality and let them know we expect them to go through more blades then usual
2.We can get new quality blades and carry on as usual
3.I can start looking for another job.

I also mentioned that the warranties were void on the secateurs now that we weren't using genuine parts. I gave him the choice and made us coffee while he thought things through. He dismissed the third option immediately. Kinda figured he would. I work my ass off at my job and know that I'm valued as a team member.

We struck with a compromise. We would continue using the fake blades, and let the pruners know the blades are low quality. They have been reminded to see me whenever they need a sharpening or blade replacement. Replacing the blade will not affect their bond. Once the blades run out, we would buy genuine Falco brand blades. I would be in charge of getting every last bit of life out of them by sharpening them correctly.

So basically I have to do a tiny bit of work (½ hour a day) to get my pruners the equipment they deserve. I believe it was a fair compromise. Anyway, I get paid for the extra time spent at work and in reality it's going to cost them more then their silly little plan to use fakes.

Some of the pruners came up to me and said they thought it was their fault the blades had gotten so dull. Relieved, they had a great day pruning today knowing that it wasn't. Totals were up slightly and it felt good to make a change (although a small one).

Anyway thanks to all of you that replied. It means a lot to me seeing people respond to the thread and helps cement my belief that ATS is an awesome place to contribute to.

Thanks

Shane

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 05:00 AM
link   
reply to post by shamus78

I'm happy to see that you handled it for your men..i have 3 generations of union worker in my family,and what you did is a great thing..You should be very proud of yourself..

Some one that puts their lively hood on the line for there men,will only make your men work harder for you, give much more respect and trust..

Good job!!

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 05:01 AM
link   
well done, great stuff out of you. when the revolution comes i wanna be on your team, handled like a master. if ATS had those worshipful smilies you'ld be getting a few

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 07:04 AM
link   
Phenomenal news. You did well. Glad to see people standing up for whats right!

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 07:10 AM
link   
Thanks

Basically decided last night to say 'screw it' and stand up for my guys. No bad feelings between me and my boss through - still going around to his place this weekend for a beer. As for the higher up's - I'll be seeing them tomorrow for the monthly safety meeting where I'll be bringing it up. Also re-wrote the standard operating procedure today and added that genuine parts must be used.

Shane

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join