It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is the Turin Shroud really a self-portrait by Renaissance man, Leonardo da Vinci?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 05:10 AM
link   

He was the ultimate Renaissance man - studying anatomy, designing a rudimentary helicopter and creating some of the most admired paintings of the age.

"The relic has inspired generations of pilgrims who have flocked to see what they believe is the face of the crucified Jesus.

But it has also provoked bitter controversy after scientists carbon-dated it to the Middle Ages.
Now an American artist has entered the fray, putting forward her own theory about its origin.
Lillian Schwartz, a graphic consultant at the School of Visual Arts in New York, claims that the image is a self-portrait of Leonardo, which was made using a crude photographic technique.
Using computer scans she found that the face on the Turin Shroud and a self portrait of Leonardo da Vinci share the same dimensions."

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 05:12 AM
link   
www.dailymail.co.uk...

I find it hilarious that this could be true and Di Vinci could have pulled off one of the biggest hoaxes of all time. I have never been taken by the shroud and always thought it to be a forgery made during the plague to drum up pilgrims. However proving this is unlikley the pictures at the top of the post as very similar.

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 05:14 AM
link   
NOTE TO Mods: I never posted this in the breaking news section as it will not allow me to post it, even though I was pasting the eact heading as I have done now, if you are not happy with it being here please feel free to move it.

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 05:35 AM
link   
clearly, the reason the two images at the top are similar because because Da Vinci wanted to look like jesus

interesting theory. i think ive heard it before and i want to figure out how exactly the Da Vinci method works

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 06:43 AM
link   
This may not be the only hoax DaVinci pulled off:

Voynich Written By DaVinci?

Makes me wonder if there were any other hoaxes pulled off by Leo.

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 09:44 AM
link   
i think it's one of his great hoaxes and find it hilarious. da Vinci was scorned by the Church his whole life, but millions upon millions of believers have sat, prayed and paid homage to the shroud, really an image of da vinci himself. somewhere, whether it's heaven, hell or somewhere else in space/time, da vinci is laughing his a$$ off.

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 10:01 AM
link   
Well no...
We know now that the original carbon 14 test was done on a repaired section and that gave a bad dating...everyone from the Vatican to the people who did the testing all agree they tested, Unknowingly, a later patch job and not the core of the shroud...

But an even bigger puzzled has emerged... A determination of the kinetics of vanillin loss suggests the shroud could be 3,000 years old! if it is then we have the image of someone other then who we all thought it was.... And once again we'll never know for sure as the Vatican has refused any retesting.

top topics

join