It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

California Collapsing

page: 2
16
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 05:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Spartak_FL
 

ya i know. this crap just seems to be banging the drum though. i live in so cal, been out of work for a year n 1/2 gettin cabin fever. i'm at the end of unemployment and i'm gettin pssd. anyways apologies all around.


[edit on 1-7-2009 by randyvs]




posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 05:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by randyvs
reply to post by Spartak_FL
 

ya i know. this crap just seems to be banging the drum though. i live in so cal, been out of work for a year n 1/2 gettin cabin fever. i'm at the end of unemployment and i'm gettin pssd.



Well i live in Tampa Florida I am out of work since June 12th so I feel your pain and I wish you the best. But there are still some jobs in the area. I have an interview thursday.

My advice is leave. The state is in ruins and it isnt your fault you pay so much to them in taxes and they waste it all. Its your leaders on the state level. That was the whole point i was trying to make. My state we dont pay them anything except a 6% sales tax and we are doing a heck of alot better than CA is. Even with all the foreclosures

[edit on 1-7-2009 by Spartak_FL]



posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 05:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Spartak_FL
 

well if you didn't see my edit i apologised.that was way off i know .can't even remember where it came from.far as just leave.thats not as easy as it sounds. go where? this # is really startin to suck. i'm gonna get off this thread before i get in trouble.


[edit on 1-7-2009 by randyvs]



posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 05:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by randyvs
reply to post by Spartak_FL
 

well if you didn't see my edit i apologised.that was way off i know .can't even remember where it came from.far as just leave.thats not as easy as it sounds. go where? this # is really startin to suck. i'm gonna get off this thread before i get in trouble.


[edit on 1-7-2009 by randyvs]



Find a small town , search for employment information on the internet ahead of time. Take out a few Payday advances and never pay them suckers back. I just dont see California recovering from this for awhile.

I just get so mad when people from California blame the rest of us for pillaging them. Its really pathetic and childish. We are all suffering.



posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 05:40 AM
link   
I live in SOCAL, OC to be exact. I'm an RN and work at a large regional hopsital. We won't be able to make our budget next year so they are starting to cut back. Hiring freeze, no more pay raises, and they will be laying off administration. My unit and the hospital overall is very busy so they won't be cutting jobs directly involved with patient care but administration and other areas will definitely get axed. My hospital relies on a lot of donations from the local community since it is a rather affluent area, those are drying up as well. Healthcare is not immune to any of this as well. In fact I see healthcare getting really bad. If medicaid/medicare gets affected hospitals will start to see revenue decrease. They rely a lot on those programs.

I still don't get it. For example my hospital has been very profitable in the past ten years. They sure do spend money when times are good but they can't manage to put away anything for a rainy day? It's pathetic.



posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 05:44 AM
link   
I wanted to scoot it back to topic i apologize for the derail i do not want to get into any trouble.

What happens now? The budget didnt get passed. So we can expect workers building roads to abandon the work sites? Schools close down? Emergency workers wont get paid.

Im kind of confused about what happens next.

[edit on 1-7-2009 by Spartak_FL]



posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 05:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Spartak_FL
 


Who's being partisan? I was merely pointing out that California is very far from being socialist. And that we don't waste our money. I don't know where people get these crazy ideas about this state. We've been repeatedly ripped off by East coast corporations for the last decade. We don't lavish money on welfare queens or anything like that, so what the hell are you talking about?

Non-Californians seem to think that everyone here lives a Hollywood lifestyle...nothing could be further from the truth. Hollywood is as foriegn to us as it is to you: those folks aren't Californians as much as they are internationalists. The rest of us work hard, try not to overspend, and pay attention to the environment.

Locally, the education level is higher than the national average due to the presence of four major universities, several internationally renowned research centers, and a bunch of other nifty stuff. WE are NOT stupid, and I take offense at being called that. I've lived in Florida, and California is head and shoulders above that state. The stupid part is up north in Sacramento: all those damn businessmen turned politicians have wrecked the place because they want a free ride for their corporate buddies. Most folks I know have voted for sensible tax increases for purposes like firefighting, earthquake renovation, etc. But the corporate class fights tax increases religiously. So they substitute fees, sales taxes on stuff they don't buy, and crap like tolls on roads we the people bought and paid for.

The problem isn't stupid, lazy, or unambitious people: the problem is a corporate class run amuck demanding free lunches. It isn't a Republican or Democrat thing: it's a corporate thing. Stop believing California is as portrayed by TV series: that California exists only on the tube. The real California is the adult who's been supporting the rest of the country while they try to grow up and meet our standards.



posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 05:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by apacheman
reply to post by Spartak_FL
 


Who's being partisan? I was merely pointing out that California is very far from being socialist. And that we don't waste our money. I don't know where people get these crazy ideas about this state. We've been repeatedly ripped off by East coast corporations for the last decade. We don't lavish money on welfare queens or anything like that, so what the hell are you talking about?

Non-Californians seem to think that everyone here lives a Hollywood lifestyle...nothing could be further from the truth. Hollywood is as foriegn to us as it is to you: those folks aren't Californians as much as they are internationalists. The rest of us work hard, try not to overspend, and pay attention to the environment.

Locally, the education level is higher than the national average due to the presence of four major universities, several internationally renowned research centers, and a bunch of other nifty stuff. WE are NOT stupid, and I take offense at being called that. I've lived in Florida, and California is head and shoulders above that state. The stupid part is up north in Sacramento: all those damn businessmen turned politicians have wrecked the place because they want a free ride for their corporate buddies. Most folks I know have voted for sensible tax increases for purposes like firefighting, earthquake renovation, etc. But the corporate class fights tax increases religiously. So they substitute fees, sales taxes on stuff they don't buy, and crap like tolls on roads we the people bought and paid for.

The problem isn't stupid, lazy, or unambitious people: the problem is a corporate class run amuck demanding free lunches. It isn't a Republican or Democrat thing: it's a corporate thing. Stop believing California is as portrayed by TV series: that California exists only on the tube. The real California is the adult who's been supporting the rest of the country while they try to grow up and meet our standards.





Nobody said your living hollywood lives. Your problem is your social programs aimed at taking care of every thing under the sun. Health, College, Housing, immigration. You cant keep doing that. And yes you have lots of welfare queens in California im sorry to tell you. Because each single mother recieves a monthly stipend from sacremento if they choose. Costs the state about 112 million a year.


Illegal Immigration Costs California Over Ten Billion Annually
State's "cheap labor" costs average household $1,183 a year

usgovinfo.about.com...

articles.latimes.com...





[edit on 1-7-2009 by Spartak_FL]



posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 06:03 AM
link   
Wow. As a Californian, this is quite scary. I'm going there next month too to my dad's, I hope he does okay.



posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 06:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Spartak_FL
 


Those illegals are here because the corporate class likes cheap labor, not because I invited them. The business class hires them, and pushes their healthcare, education, etc. onto the state. They undercut legal residents' wages by hiring them rather than state residents. California could afford a lot of good stuff back when most of us had decent jobs and paid taxes. But the corporate types fired us, brought in H1B, H2B, and illegal workers at half of what we used to get paid. To add insult to injury they send the profits back East, and the workers send their wages back to the home country, rather than spend them here or be taxed here. Now they've destroyed the tax base with their greed. And you know what? Alot of those types are here from New York, Florida, and other parasitical East Coast states.



posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 06:32 AM
link   
reply to post by randyvs
 


What reposts? What are you talking about? I'm not quite sure what you're getting at.

[edit on 1-7-2009 by projectvxn]



posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 06:37 AM
link   
Woah...just because California is the 11th largest economy doesn't make that a great thing. Chuck Norris is the 4th largest economy in the world, and his chief export is pain. Bigger isn't always better for the little people...

Stop the insanity...think of all the folks that have been round house kicked to the face to increase Chuck's and California's GDP



posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 06:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by apacheman
reply to post by Spartak_FL
 


Those illegals are here because the corporate class likes cheap labor, not because I invited them. The business class hires them, and pushes their healthcare, education, etc. onto the state. They undercut legal residents' wages by hiring them rather than state residents. California could afford a lot of good stuff back when most of us had decent jobs and paid taxes. But the corporate types fired us, brought in H1B, H2B, and illegal workers at half of what we used to get paid. To add insult to injury they send the profits back East, and the workers send their wages back to the home country, rather than spend them here or be taxed here. Now they've destroyed the tax base with their greed. And you know what? Alot of those types are here from New York, Florida, and other parasitical East Coast states.



The people elected the Leftist politicians who allowed it to happen. Corporations dont write immigration law.

And now the sun comes up today and california has no money. So what happens.



posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 06:56 AM
link   
reply to post by midnightbrigade
 


When fannie/freddie/aig were going under, you would have thought the world was ending.

When the 10th largest economy in the world is going under, nobody in Washington cares.

This looks like a clear message, to me: Bail outs for corporate private power, tough poop for all other power that isn't consolidated in private, unaccountable hands.

If only California had written several hundred billion dollars in legally impossible to regulate Credit Default Swaps, given the majority of the profits to a few dozen people, taken all that revenue offshore where it can't be taxed, then crash the world economy because they legally sold junk that they knew couldn't be backed up.

Had they done all that, they would be doing just fine right now -- courtesy of the tax payer.

Gotta love the plutocrats and the corporatocracy they've built, as well as the success of their propaganda campaign to confuse the majority of voters into demanding more welfare for the rich and less regulation for private corporate power, which has lead to one disaster after another.

***



Corporations dont write immigration law.

Actually they do -- that's why lobbyists get paid something like $200,000 a year starting salary. They use intimidation through media, corporate campaign funds, lavish gifts, and similar methods of achieving leverage over politicians to get their agendas across.

[edit on 1-7-2009 by Kaytagg]



posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 06:59 AM
link   
How about California stop pandering to the illegals? As stated above, they cost almost $10 billion a year ... more then the GDP of many nations ... wasted for nothing.

Honestly, if California was given back to Mexico I could careless one bit. As a matter of fact, they can have it ... and Tony Vivalaraza, Nancy Pelosi, Diane Feinstein, all the San Fransickoites, the Berkleyites and all the rest along with it. Move the Pacific Fleet back to Pearl and consolidate the AF bases with Andersen, Hickam and Bellows. Send the Marines to Japan and Hawaii. And were all good.



posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 07:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Spartak_FL
 


This is what happens:

The fiscal crisis will deepen. The State will be forced to run lean. All non-essential services will be eliminated. Police, fire, and ambulance services will be further cut when the crisis extends to the cities and counties, which will happen immediately, in some places it already has.

Due to this many neighborhoods will see significant reduction in police patrols, courts will close for 2 three days at a time, and some courts and other state and municipal buildings may be closed down and consolidated. State employees will be layed off en masse. Unemployment benefits will dry up, well-fare checks will not go out, student loans will not be paid(Interest will sky rocket). California will enter the summer fire season with far fewer fire fighters than normal, the season is already extended and fire fighting needs are starting to mount heavy costs. Soon, this service may be totally ineffective. Crime will shoot up. More armed robberies, shootings, drugs, and gang violence will become far more present. This on top of budget concerns will force a mass exodus from California. There will be revolts, protests and general civil unrest.

All of this will start to quickly move to other cities as the exodus from California begins to tax the capabilities of other states. This happened a few times during the Great Depression in several parts of the country. Tent cities will become a normal thing as homeless services in other states are either burdened to capacity or shut down due to budget problems. California's collapse would indeed bring down the entire nation within a year, maybe less.

It is NOT a good scenario. However, instead of worrying for the inevitable, prepare for it.

[edit on 1-7-2009 by projectvxn]



posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 07:08 AM
link   
California is the original "Nanny" state. They brought this on themselves. A thorough house cleaning will actually do them some good. Granted, real estate is taking a dump everywhere. However, Cali. was extremely overinflated in its major markets. $400 per sq. ft. for a house. A little much.

California has taxed the state to death and spent every dime on ridiculous projects and social programs. Greed greed greed.

California as whole is a great state. Unfortunately, the government is strongly influenced by the wingnuts in San Francisco and Los Angeles.



posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 07:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by apacheman
And that we don't waste our money. I don't know where people get these crazy ideas about this state.


It's pretty expensive and resource intensive to funnel in water to keep those stupid non-native palms alive.

Priorities man. Keeping up artificial appearances for tourists and transplants who think those trees are supposed to be there is not a priority.

Does spending get any more stupid than that?

Regarding the East Coat I wouldnt worry. The high-tax, hyper socialist garbage of NJ, MA, CT and NY have been eating the foundations for a long time. CT has been bankrupt for nearly twenty years now thanks to all of it's ridiculous fiscal habits yet the national media hardly mentions it. Same with MA.

Every last one of these entitlement states is now or has been collapsing. They have nobody to blame but themselves.



posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 07:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere

Originally posted by apacheman
And that we don't waste our money. I don't know where people get these crazy ideas about this state.


It's pretty expensive and resource intensive to funnel in water to keep those stupid non-native palms alive.

Priorities man. Keeping up artificial appearances for tourists and transplants who think those trees are supposed to be there is not a priority.

Does spending get any more stupid than that?

Yes it does. Insinuating California went bankrupt because of palm trees is much more stupid.



posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 07:19 AM
link   
reply to post by projectvxn
 


Excellent posts. One need only look at Flint and Detroit Michigan to see what can happen when services are cut and certain neighborhoods are ignored.

They let many vacant homes in Detroit burn out due to years of cutbacks. It has become an arsonists paradise. Portions of Flint are left to decay.


Abandoning Flint, Michigan: As Homeowners Move Out, Fires Move In

www.insurancejournal.com...

This could easily happen in any one of the neighborhoods in Los Angeles.

ATS thread on Flint www.abovetopsecret.com...




top topics



 
16
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

log in

join