It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Colony, on Discovery Channel

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 10:37 PM
link   
Recently, I have seen commercials for a new TV show in the US, on the Discovery Channel. It is THE COLONY. From the commercials, it appears to be a 'reality' show with 10 people who are 'survivors' in an urban setting. It looks like they are supposed to scrounge and try to rebuild. I suppose that I will watch the first episode or two, just to see how helpless the actors will be. However, they may have some interesting talking heads.

Thoughts?

Also, I did search for another thread on this subject and did not find one.

Mods: If this thread is improperly placed, please move as needed.

Thanks

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 11:44 PM
link   
sounds intruiging, I can't find much about it though. When I google it I all I get are casting calls. Was it a teaser you saw? Do you have a link or a suggested time this show may be on?

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 11:55 PM
link   
The commercial ran a couple of times during The Deadliest Catch, and After the Catch. The first couple of times, I used Tivo to blow past the commercials. There was a start date, but I wasn't paying a great deal of attention.

The imdb.com entry is largely empty, except for cast. I did find one casting call notice, as you did, on another website. realitytvmagazine.sheknows.com...

I couldn't find anything on the Discovery website.

[edit on 30-6-2009 by Viking04]

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 09:58 PM
link   
I caught another commercial tonight. 07.21.2009 10 pm.

It might be worth a look.

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 10:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Viking04

just throwing this out there because anything is possible
could it be a means to either:
A. subconsciously get people ready to survive in tough times
B. make the struggle of survival unappealing in order to keep control of the masses
C. Invest in survival stocks now? Once the show starts, gear sales go crazy?

you never know

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 10:26 PM
link   
reply to post by warrenb

Or they have run out of everything else to do a reality show and they are trying to pull in the JERICHO audience?
Anything is possible.

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 09:31 AM
link   
I just started seeing commercials for it too. It looks very interesting.

So I wonder how large of an area they have to experiment in.

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Hi all,
I actually know someone who worked on the show for a bit as a production assistant.
Basically it's setup like Survivor but I think it's supposed to be a bit more informative in the survival aspect. The participants must learn to re-establish a a way of life in a post apocalyptic setting. I'm sure they will have certain tasks to achieve along the way determined by the producers.
We will see more and more stuff like this till the whole 2012 business dies down. Hell, I'm even writing more TSHTF type scenarios in my writing because that is what Hollywood knows people are thinking about.

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 09:35 PM
link   
www.youtube.com... - link to one of the commercials.

A few of the lines in said commercial are "After the virus hit, everything just stopped. A lot of people didn't make it, but a few of us did." During this part, there are clips of rioting and riot troops controlling those riots. Just throwin' it out there.

The swine flu is a virus, right?

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 09:35 PM
link   
Watching this now, and there might be one person on the show with a functioning common sense gland.

Thoughts?

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 10:26 PM
link   
It's on again at midnight (central time).

I caught the last 20 minutes of it... Thanks for starting this thread, because I'll be trying to watch every episode now.

Looks like a great show... 10X better than Survivor

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 11:22 PM
link   
This is the next survivor and better, Urban rebuild 101. I actually think I would want to be on it. My GF & I are totally way more efficient than most Westerners. We love to re-use and improvise instead of buying things brand new, it only fuels the ever hungry machine aka corporate capitalism. Awesome show, missed half of it though.

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 10:50 AM
link   
I watched it last night and the entire time I got the feeling the "participants" were nothing more than actors. There were several scenes that seemed really forced and not a natural way to act. If it is staged, at least it may have some good information.

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 10:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Viking04

Wasn't this the one Blagojevich wanted to be on while under investigation for corruption charges? They are filming it in some weird place I can't remember the name of.

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 11:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Hazelnut

No that was I am a celebrity get me out of here.

I personally liked the colony, but ddin't like a few of the participants, because they were idiots. It seemed that Mike is only one with common sense and everything he said made sense. I didn't see anything forced, thats how people would act in that situation and like the psychologist said, this make believe experience could turn into a real life experience in the minds of the participants.

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 11:18 AM
link   
damn
watch these video clips of the Colony
dsc.discovery.com...

Watch THE COLONY to see if ten survivors of a simulated global catastrophe can make it through ten weeks cut off from civilization.

What would you do in the wake of a global catastrophe? How would you find food, water or shelter? THE COLONY is a controlled experiment to see exactly what it would take to survive and rebuild under these circumstances. For ten weeks, a group of ten volunteers, whose backgrounds and expertise represent a cross-section of modern society, are isolated in an urban environment outside of Los Angeles -- with no electricity from the grid, no running water, and no communication with the outside world: Tasked with creating a liveable society, all they have to work with are their skills and whatever tools and supplies they can scavenge from their surroundings. Experts from the fields of homeland security, engineering and psychology have helped design the world of THE COLONY to reflect elements from both real-life disasters and models of what the future could look like after a global viral outbreak. Over the course of the ten-week experiment, the Colonists must work together to build the necessities of survival such as a water filtration system, a battery bank that powered their electricity, a solar cooker, a shower system, a greenhouse and even some niceties (a coffee maker!).

store.discovery.com...
pretty sweet

[edit on 22-7-2009 by warrenb]

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 11:48 AM
link   
reply to post by TheMythLives

I didn't see Mike as 100%, but he was certainly a one-eyed man in a kingdom of the blind. (Frankly, the 'La-La' attitudes made me cringe, particularly the Aerospace Engineer.) One other fellow, 'John', I believe seemed to be coming around.

Even with a watch bill, they aren't terribly security-minded. The previews were a bit off-putting, with the Mad Max car projects. Perhaps they will make more sense as the story unfolds, but I don't know. It is better than most whine-fest 'reality' shows.

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 12:12 PM
link   
They even displayed a disclaimer between commercial breaks that said the participants received instruction from off-camera personnel. As staged as it gets in my opinion.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's going to prove to be a valuable show. For example, I'm sure there's a lot of people who had no idea water could be filtered by pouring it through sand and charcoal. I feel that this show is intended to be more of an acted out survival manual than anything else.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 02:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Unit541
I feel that this show is intended to be more of an acted out survival manual than anything else.

It has to be.... The more I think about it.

ACTING = FAKE

but I'm still gonna watch it.

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 08:10 PM
link   
Bump...

I still plan on watching it again tonight.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join