It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Just witnessed something

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 10:34 PM
link   
This should be in the UFO section I believe... I have been a member of this site for sometime but have not been an active poster.

Just now (10:30pm) while I was out smoking a cigarette I was looking toward the south up at the sky. I live in Omaha Nebraska, a fairly decent sized city. The sky is clear tonight but not many stars can be seen due to light pollution. I saw what looked like a satellite slowly descending in the sky, then this object changed directions and started acceding back along the same path. Where as of this moment reached a fixed position in the sky.

This object is way to high to be a helicopter or anything like that. This is the first time I have observed something like this myself. Going back outside to observe.

[edit on 30-6-2009 by mavman]

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 11:08 PM
link   
Not to bash your sighting or anything, because maybe I'm not understanding it right. I'm in Omaha too, and when I was out at the track I saw this thing float past me in the sky and it kind of freaked me out for a moment (mostly beacuse I was daydreaming of ghosts). It was cloudy and it took me a moment or two to realize that it was just a light going back and forth really slowly.

Could that be what you saw? Or was it a metal and am I just being stupid for not reading your post right. But really, how awsome would that be if what you saw was a UFO or an alien something?

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 11:08 PM
link   
You are possibly seeing what many of us saw back in winter spring. A star that moves....WAY too much.

Some folks kept saying it was venus, or mars or something.

Question, is it REALLY bright and flashing towards the red?

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 11:12 PM
link   
Can you get some pictures of it? Evidence is good, also note the time and direction you are observing, then check it with the planets and stars first.

I have been mistaken so many times, but it is worth keeping an open mind for.

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 11:15 PM
link   
This object was very far off, it looked like a faint star.

I would approximate that when I first observed it was at a 40 degree angle in sky slowly descending. When it reached about a 20 degree mark it reversed itself and slowly went back up to a higher position than was first observed.

I have no idea what it was, but I don't think it was any kind of plane or anything like that. It was just a single dim white light, not flashing or anything.

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 11:23 PM
link   
I am in Quebec City and I have witnessed three of these objects so far. One was in 2007, and the other two were a couple weeks ago at the same time, only a couple fingers distance from each other. I thought the first time satelitte, but the two sightings a couple weeks ago, changed direction, and they were not planes.

I dont know what you saw but I saw something similar. And to those who want pictures of this, it just is not possible. It happens to fast to record video, and once it is not moving if I take a picture it is just a star like object. I have tried and have no obtained nice enough pictures to tell the story. It would look like a star.

I believe these might be ships moving in atmosphere, but I have a hard time believing myself. But the way these objects move mean they are not airplanes, not helicopters, not stars and not satelittes. I dont know what else it could be but some kind of ship changing its location in space.

I just keep watching.

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 11:29 PM
link   
Well, given that the sighting was at approximately 11:30 pm in Nebraska, we can pretty much rule out the possibility that it was a manmade satellite illuminated by the sun. It probably wasn't a deep-space object, either — the OP states that there is light pollution in Omaha, and it would be unlikely for him to see anything except the largest and brightest stars. With light pollution, it would be difficult to see even a large comet.

Therefore, the object was self-illuminated and was probably within the Earth's atmosphere. If it changed course (retracing its path) and then became stationary, then it's certainly not a meteoroid. Does sound as though it's under intelligent control.

This does NOT mean it's an extraterrestrial craft. On the contrary, there are thousands of flying objects under intelligent control in our atmosphere at any given moment. Welcome to Earth.

The fact that it became "fixed" or stationary is interesting.

Based on the information provided, I would opine that you're looking at a classified military aircraft of some sort.

— Doc Velocity

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 11:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Le Colonel

That sounds like you were standing right next to me. I too measured distance with my fingers against a few stars. This was a perfect description. There was no chance for a photo op. It was moving for maybe 30 seconds and I was not going to miss it. When it stopped it just looked like another star.

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 11:42 PM
link   
About 30min. ago, while sitting outside enjoying a nice breeze; moving from south to north I saw what I thought was a satellite but changed my mind when it flashed brightly then changed direction, moving to the west, eventually fading out.

I witnessed the star like light for appx. 1min.

Interesting night.

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 11:50 PM
link   
Wow, Omaha NE here too. I saw something odd Sunday night. It came from the south moving slowly and just sort of vanished when it was directly overhead. Way too high for commercial, and my wife commented that it was not flashing like an aircraft should. It just looked like a moving star. I told her it might be the ISS or satellite with sun reflecting off it, but on second thought it was around 11:30 pm.

Then about two minutes later another came this time from the north toward the south and again vanished when directly overhead. (it could have been the same craft.) Faint like a star, and no flashing. We are near by Strategic Air Command here in Omaha, so I just figure it is part of the "eye in the sky" program. I will go out right now and do a little gazing just to see what is up.

P.S. Everyone please be careful with your fireworks this year. I just sprinted over two yards to a spent firework pile that caught fire in a trashcan in a neighbor’s side yard and luckily put out the six foot high fire before the house ignited. What a rush, but boy I am getting too old for that kind of excitement!

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 11:57 PM
link   
my thoughts on the subject are either a real UFO or else lile someone stated recently, a military object.

Either dont provide much comfort. I would rather the military craft, I suppose, but..........

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 12:24 AM
link   
I watched for almost 30 minutes, but nothing showed up tonight except a concerned spouse. We are past the time.

I will try tomorrow at 10:30 to 11:45 and document what I can.

It is strange to me now that I was just going to blow off what we saw untill I read that others here on ATS viewed what appears to be the same object.

It is a small, funny little world we have.

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 02:39 AM
link   
The mid-continent, big-sky country is a notorious area for classified military flyovers. Or maybe it's just easier to see 'em out there.

The fixed position or hovering characteristic of the object is what interests me most. I think the OP is describing a high-altitude event. It behaves sort of like a helicopter, retracing its path, becoming stationary, yet the witness on the ground says it's not a helicopter. The witness observes that it's too high to be a helicopter.

It's rather difficult to judge size and distance in the sky in the daytime, nevermind at night. I know I've been duped by lightning bugs and other aerial oddities on more than one occasion. But one way to judge distance in the sky is by sound — I'm talking about visually triangulating on an object and its Doppler-shifted noise, then counting off seconds to determine the approximate distance. That works up to about forty or fifty thousand feet. Beyond that, the atmosphere is way too thin to conduct sound back to the surface.

So, an illuminated object in the sky that behaves like a helicopter might be a helicopter, unless it's totally silent. If it's totally silent, then it's very, very high in the atmosphere.

Which poses a problem.

Rotary-wing vehicles (helicopters, etc) don't handle thin atmosphere very well. Like, they don't handle it at all, There's no such thing as a high-altitude helicopter, okay. That's why there isn't a StarBucks on the summit of Mount Everest.

Now, if we humans are building Zero Inertia Vehicles, capable of defying gravity and bending space (and I think we are building such vehicles), they might be classified for a few more years, but we are seeing them in the skies right now.

— Doc Velocity

[edit on 7/1/2009 by Doc Velocity]

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Both items I witnessed were totally silent, and looked like a star.
I hope to see it again tonight and make notes.

Maybe its the mother-ship that dropped off those creepy red slime monsters into the sewers.
They are disgusting and oh so creepy.

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 11:35 PM
link   
I caught it again.

I started my observation at 10:15 Omaha, NE and I was a bit excited by the end. Conditions fair. Some haze with only the top dozen stars visible.

10:19 Caught star like object moving NNW to SSE moving slowly, no blinking no sound. Moving very near brightest star VEGA in sky nearly straight above. Conclusion from 2nd sighting it must be satellite.

10:34 object very high, no sound traveling from NWW to SSE flashing white 8 times in 4 second intervals. Interesting but too much like airliner. Dismissed.

10:48 Star like object with orange tint traveling from SSE to NNW appears to be object from previous night. Object moving steady and in linear path, in last 10 seconds curves toward the west and disappears at star. Star is in a group that forms a sharp, squat triangle nearly overhead. Only bright stars visiable.

I believe it is off the Big Dippers tail which points at the 3 star grouping. I tried to locate a proper star chart but could not. Whatever this was it is back at almost the same time. If it did not change direction, I would say satellite, but this object turned and vanished. Nearly the same path and time these last few nights, regular flights away from our planet? More questions than answers I know.

Anyone else look for it?

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 12:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Absum!
I caught it again... Nearly the same path and time these last few nights, regular flights away from our planet? More questions than answers I know. Anyone else look for it?

Ummm... And why are you not photographing it? I mean, if I thought a UFO would come back for a repeat performance, I would would be standing vigil with my telephoto camera, and I would be posting the photos and videos on ATS, in this thread, specifically!

C'mon, people!

— Velocity

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 09:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Absum!

Now this is interesting. What the heck is going on. Maybe everyone needs to give a little more attention to our sky.

Last night I went out and observed as well. I was only outside briefly and did not see anything out of the ordinary. I suppose I will be back out looking tonight again. I will take a charged up camera, but without a special lens I fear it wouldn't even pick up the object. If the weather is decent I might spend a night on the observation tower at Mahoney State park this weekend.

posted on Jul, 3 2009 @ 01:40 AM
link   
Ok, I am leaning toward manmade because at 10:38 tonight I watched it again. The path was a little off from the previous night but still south to north, like a star, no flashing at all; no sound.

Filming it would be a waste of effort as it is so high and dim that my camera would not catch anything. It is as bright and big as a star. The night sky has been a bit hazy too, however it is still visible so it must be giving off or reflecting a lot of light.

There is a lot going on in the sky these days, we all should be watching for this stuff. Going back out for a spell.

posted on Jul, 3 2009 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Wow

Is that our tax dollars flying around?

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 04:53 AM
link   
... I saw something on July 3, it was a bright star, still, but then moving smoothly away... I was at one of the highest points around here, and it caught my eye, and I tried to video it with my phone but of course quality is too crappy and it just looks pitch black. So when I give up trying I look at the clock and it is 3:33, a number significant to me... absolutely no joke.
I dont believe in aliens but I think it is possible, thought there must be some connection

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join