It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

www.theonion.com

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 04:58 PM
link   
I was wondering if this was a disinfo site. It seems like it but I wasn't sure. The people around here swear by it so I'm really confused. Can somebody give me an answer to this question.

Mods, if this is in the wrong spot feel free to move it. I wasn't sure where it went so I stuck it with the disinfo.

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 05:00 PM
link   
'Swear by' the ONION?
I like to visit that site for a good laugh.
As far as I can tell, it's satire. The stuff is just tooo far out there to not be funny. Are you sayin that some people beLIEVE what they are saying?

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 05:02 PM
link   
reply to post by SemperParatusRJCC

Simply satire....

from their Privacy policy page:

Copyright
The Onion is a satirical newspaper published by Onion, Inc.

The Onion uses invented names in all its stories, except in cases when public figures are being satirized. Any other use of real names is accidental and coincidental.

The content of this web-site—graphics, text and other elements—is © Copyright 2009 by Onion, Inc., and may not be reprinted or retransmitted in whole or in part without the expressed written consent of the publisher.

The Onion is not intended for readers under 18 years of age.

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 05:21 PM
link   
There are some people that think that TheOnion is something other than satire? That's almost as funny as people who really think that Stephen Colbert is the Republican pundit that counters Jon Stewart!

I guess a sense of humor isn't a Univeral Human Trait after all.

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 05:25 PM
link   
The onion is awesome. I used to pick it up in paper format, but now read it online. Nothing funnier than the onion.

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 05:26 PM
link   
reply to post by JacKatMtn

Oh, if we could only get the rest of the msm sites to incorporate that disclaimer ...

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 05:29 PM
link   
Well I thank you all That was a unanimous call of "B.S." I appreciate you all taking the time to help me with this dilemma, and now I have proof thanks to JacKatMtn. I thank you all once again.

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 09:20 PM
link   
An actual news source mistook an Onion article for actual news a while back. The whole thing ended up on Digg and made a laughing stock of said news source

www.guardian.co.uk...

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 10:58 PM
link   
reply to post by SemperParatusRJCC

The Onion is meant to be satire. I picked up my first print copy in 1994 or so. I used to live down the street from one of the founding editors in Madison, WI, who also curated a toilet paper museum (located between Gorham and Johnson St., around the corner from Pinkus McBride) with samples of toilet paper from all over the world. I also went to high school with one of their former business managers.

I haven't read it much since they moved their headquarters to New York a couple years ago, but they pretty clearly market themselves as satire.

In the interest of full disclosure, I had an odd synchronistic experience with their publication while visiting NYC in '07: after satirically challenging several MySpace friends to a televised presidential debate, I picked up a print copy of the Onion a couple days later in NYC which featured on the front page something remarkably similar to my post.

www.theonion.com...

I was running for President at the time.

I wouldn't off the top of my head consider the Onion disinfo, but I've become more suspicious of media in general lately.

Watching this one edition of the venerable Newshour with Jim Lehrer, I couldn't help but notice a giant statue of Shiva The Destroyer dancing through the flames of the world in the background of the shot as the Director General of the World Health Organization explained why swine flu should be considered a pandemic (shot first appears about 45 second in):

www.pbs.org...

If it were an isolated incident I'd probably ignore it, but have seen similar television staging many places elsewhere. For example, Obama's Feb 2, 2009 press conference featured some similar staging:

i42.tinypic.com...

EDIT: "in the background of the shot"

[edit on 30-6-2009 by 10010010011]

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 11:14 PM
link   
reply to post by TheAssociate

That is hilarious! I hope the OP is a try at satire bcus if you felt posting that as a topic was needed to answer a serious question- hit the books maybe.
Who know talking about the onion could be so funny. Absurd conspiracy news would be funny too- I suppose like BTS.

In honesty and seriousness, I did think they only push very safe envelopes and never show real balls on issues they could. More or less I thought they blacked out Ron Paul during the campaign season despite the possibility that many of their readers would have liked him. I thought it was a deliberate act.

PS: I thought this one was hilarious!--
www.theonion.com...

top topics

join