It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you think Europe is or could be later, better than United States?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Well, I talk from an Italian point of view and after reading for a while The European Dream of Rifkin I would like to make notice some of the differences between Europe/Italy and United States:

Health

USA: You have to pay for a cure

ITALY: My father is a doctor and here we don't have much to pay, and any people is soon accepted for an emergency intervention. My state advises to call the police if some illegally inhabitants from Africa and the East ( Romania, Albania etc. ) comes for a visit in hospital but no doctor I know would do such a thing

School, education:

USA: High School teach all the subjects and there is not much high quality of teaching, I don't know about private lessons but I know that teen actors and actress have private teachers and in Usa there is the chance to be home-schooled

ITALY: Here home-schooling does not exist, it's not allowed. Police comes to knock home if the kid is absent for a number of days.
High Schools are divided for subjects, Scientific HS, Classic and Literature HS, Technician HS and so...

In USA bullism into schools is a big problem, we have the same problem, but we have not got any school shooting yet...Here we have the problem of people who enjoys to embarass greatly another person and than posting videos and pictures on You tube and websites
Bullism is not present in many high schools, but in some of them there are just only bullies and jerk people
ITALY, schools buildings are not at all built in a right way, we have many crashes and disaster from falling of windows, walls and roofs

ITALY we work less hours weekly than Americans, but we work more in those hours according to researches...In Italy both a doctor and a school head-president can have 25, 30 days of holiday in summer
When I read that in Usa many get just 4 or 10 days of holiday I found it unbelievable

QUALITY OF LIFE

ITALY: From my point of view we have much more freedom than Americans...At least we don't end up arrested by police for having a garden to grow food...
We are more smartely educated and we have more acculturate people than USA

We don't have Hollywood and our tv shows are sucking and we like American tv shows

We have much more green areas and parks to stay in

Anyway, in Italy lots and lots and lots of teenagers starting from age 13 smoke so much every day ( I do not ) and they drink and get drunk and many do drugs but not so many as Americans

We have the Mafia in the south of Italy who practically reigns on those people, with many burned cars and houses and many family wars

South Italy is much more polluted, they have much much more crime

What do you think?

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 02:42 PM
link   
I have family who lives in Spain and more than once its crossed my mind to pack up my family and move to Bilbao... In many ways the EU is better than the US as it is now, but remember things were not always this way...

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Having lived in Europe for 4 years I perfer the US.

If you think Italians are smarter then the US then all I can say is.

You should be.

How long has Italy been a Country? Now compare that with the US. Italy is a Grandpa and the US is the Grandchild.

As for the rest.

So what if you work less then the US, I could make a point that it shows how lazy you are.

So what if you don't have school shootings, crap happens and we deal with it.

So what if you THINK you have more freedom than the US when it comes to police. My expieriance in that subject suggests differant.

Thats what I think. Don't know if thats what you wanted.

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 03:04 PM
link   
I've considered many times, being an American from two long lines of Americans going back over 15 generations on this Continent, to moving my daughter and I to France and seeking to become French Nationals.

Education and Healthcare, although definitely important issues, are the least of the reasons why I have genuinely considered such.

To be honest, I feel alienated by the Idiocracy that has become dominant in American society. My daughter feels it too, alienated by her classmates because she would rather discuss Newtonian Physics or why La Grange Points are so important, than gossiping about Hannah Montana or getting baked with the teachers at recess.

In addition, the direction our Nation has gone in the past decade has made me ashamed of being an American (not that I ever felt a need to partake in the silly notion of Nationalism to begin with). I feel that the ideals that I and my forefathers stood for have been compromised and abandoned to the point that this country can no longer be redeemed. If I held any hope that something could be done to remedy the situation and help America find it's Moral Conscience once again, I would gladly stay to help. However, those that don't agree or unquestioningly comply with doing the "Patriotic" thing by supporting atrocities in the name of National Security and Safety, tell me to go elsewhere if I don't like it.

So, I'm going to take their advice, and that's what I'm probably going to do.

The only things holding me back at this point in time are my Personal Research Library, as shipping thousands of books overseas is far more expensive than one might think, and I am biding my time for my mother and father to pass on before moving away with my daughter.

Little other reason, other than complacency, is keeping me here in this land where the ideas of Life, Liberty the pursuit of Happiness, and Justice for All are nothing more than sound-bytes to be played on the 4th of July or used as rhetoric to forward someone's political agenda, but have lost their meaning altogether to this once proud Nation.

I'm much more confident that our cousins oversees, who had their Revolution in the wake of our own, who adopted similar ideals, may be living closer to those ideals than we Americans have, having taken them for granted after all these years.

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 03:14 PM
link   
ITALY: YOur money stank so bad that it nearly drug the EU down with it. If it wasn't for France and Germany your economy would have collapsed.

USA: We borrow from China so that our economy doesnt collapse.

meh....ok.....we'll call it the same difference.

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 03:16 PM
link   
I did a big long post and the ATS monster ate it.

Summary:

Enough with the my dad can beat up your dad stuff as there is enough other stuff going on in the world, why focus negatively on this.

Focus instead on the difference you can make and not worry about who would benefit most from it.

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by jd140
So what if you don't have school shootings, crap happens and we deal with it.

No, you don't. It happened many times and it will happen again.

Although as you become poorer by the day there'd be less shootings because of the competitive nature of y our schools.

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 03:53 PM
link   
Competitiveness in schools exists only in Scientific and Classic Lyceums...In the other schools teens would rather going to a skate park instead of study many hours...

Police in Italy exists only in the north, in the south rules re not anymore followed, teens are normally and even headstrongly less a protection for the head when they ride motorcycles.

I live a month each year in the south and I very rarely seen ONE policeman in 20 years

I can say that many other states in the north of europe are much more better in quality fo life than Italy, but I would not live without Italian food...In fact I can't eat anything in the other states of Europe

We have an active countryside life, with many many small villages that grow and sell food by their own all the time

About religion, Italians do attend churches every sunday, much more than you could think

Above Germany is very very good ( I like so much Belgium and Holland...Love the Holland language! )
Once I've been in Holland and I've seen a school parking place with thousands of bike all the same...Amazing
But many people suffer depression right there for climate and day and night time

In Italy we live a quiet life, much quieter than we would like to have
The south is the place where the stronger one survives and commands

We as Italians don't know English language so much, almost all of Italian students are the worst in maths

Yeah, we are lazy...

Our cars, though, are the best one and inimitable

[edit on 30-6-2009 by Matteo]

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 04:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Matteo

Hey!

Italy is a second-rate third world country ruled by a dictator called Berlusconi (similar to Mussolini, only less intelligent.)

Your question was about _EUROPE_, not Italy.

Therefore you gotta take into account first-rate European countries like Germany and Sweden and calculate the average between these countries and corrupt third-world countries like Italy.

Then you can compare. Comparison of the sick, smelly underboot of Europe with USA is unfair. Just like comparing Alabama with Denmark.

Thank you.

[edit on 30-6-2009 by Etsivä Romppainen]

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Italy is not third countries, Italy is a great country!

If you ask to Italians about this, not even one would say we are third country, we are very patriotic

We make a joke of politicians here all the time, especially the one you've written...
He is like Hannah Montana multiplied for 5 in matter of gossips here

We have a great president, he is just old ( 84 years old ) though.

And we asEurope we're thinking about the United States of Europe...

One day in the future Europe will rule again on the world

new topics

top topics

join