It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

PirateBay has sold out

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 12:37 PM
link   
What a very, very sad day for the internet...

According to gaming company Global Gaming Factory X, it is in the the process of acquiring The Pirate Bay for $7.8m (SEK 60 million). The acquisition is scheduled to be completed by August and will see the site launch new business models to compensate content providers and copyright owners.

TorrentFreak

It seems they have either sold out or have been coerced into giving up the site, as the wording on their own blog doesn't sound like the fighting spirit they have had for many, many years.

I smell something fishy; perhaps Barry's new internet tsar has very large tentacles and is reaching out to all corners of the digital globe to stamp down their authoritarian regime and control.

Again, a very sad day folks for freedom and evolution.

Edit: Press release: www.globalgamingfactory.com...

[edit on 30-6-2009 by PrisonerOfSociety]

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Yes, we, the 6 billion people rebell and dont buy one single DVD or CD for a year, WE take them out of Bisniss..

[edit on 30-6-2009 by ChemBreather]

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by ChemBreather

I'm afraid this goes beyond CD's and videos etc, it's more an issue of centralised control.

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Everyone has a price. 8 million was theirs. To me, they didn't sell out, but rather made out.

Look at it from a personal perspective. This is the proprietors opportunity to put all the legal battles, stress and anxiety behind them, and line their pockets quite well at the same time. In this economy, they'd be crazy not to take advantage.

There are plenty of other places to steal your media.

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Unit541

Call me paranoid or suspicious, but the selling price is the same as the verdict against them. I remember TPB founders saying that the IFPI wont ever see a dime of the verdict.

Sounds like they are about to get every penny.

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 04:36 AM
link   
I loved TPB's fighting spirit. Their brazen resistance to the bully tactics of the big media companies was admirable.

It makes me kind of sad that they ended up selling out in the end, but I guess they had no choice.

Anyway, it's time for the next big thing in file sharing and I can't wait to see what it is.

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 04:50 AM
link   
I can only hope that they use this money to fund the pirate party...

I mean BOOOOOOO this is terrible news... I hope Nobody else follows suit...

Gosh... Pirate bay is out...Terrible.

new topics

top topics

join