It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New life form in sewers?

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 04:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by davedat2
I have to say that i havent read every post so if i'm repeating someones material then i apologise.

The first thing that crossed my mind was that if these things are in the sewers (and assuming this is not a hoax of any kind) then what defence do they have against the rats that i assume also frequent those areas?

Having only a basic knowledge of vermin, but knowing a few of their habits, there is not much that the rat community will not eat but they do seem to have an almost psychic, or telepathic ability to communicate with their co-inhabitants. I wonder if this "organism" has any defensive capabilities and, if not, does it "warn" off predators in some way to save itself?

Just a thought. good thread by the way, very enjoyable.

Good point dude, but lets be fair - even rats have standards

Not to be disrespectful towards the lil booger but damn.. anything eating THAT thing needs to be slow-roasted with a flamethrower

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 04:29 AM
link   
if this is a tubifex worm grouping (skeptical.. but could be..)
they would be in theyr cyst stage... as for retracting from the light.. hmmm dunno
honestly it looks closer to the inside of a body organ when a camera is inserted than a tunnel...

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 04:29 AM
link   
Absolutely amazing find. This is the first cryptid that really has me stumped.

From the short vid, the camera found three of them in close proximity to each other. I would expect to see more of these creatures throughout the system.

Come on, can't someone that lives close enough just suit up and get down there to have a look? Please?

Shane

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 04:35 AM
link   
Its THE BLOB!

That thing is definitely not a bundle of worms...if you think so you need your eyes checked...looks nothing like it.

We need to call Mulder and Scully to investigate this madness.

[edit on 1-7-2009 by Unplugged]

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 04:36 AM
link   

The first thing that crossed my mind was that if these things are in the sewers (and assuming this is not a hoax of any kind) then what defence do they have against the rats that i assume also frequent those areas?

Given the way it moves and the general 'squishiness' of it, I could imagine it sucking itself into the cracks and hollows of the environment, flattening itself out and getting really deep into the brickwork. The outer fringe of the creature seems to suggest it can anchor itself and possibly 'pull' itself around. It reminds me of something, but just can't put my finger on it yet.

Or maybe it can 'eat' rats?

Anyway all hearsay till a sample is procured. God I love Cryptozoology! Probably going to do quite a few posts about this one.

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 04:41 AM
link   
Break out the gauss rifles boys it's a CREEP COLONY!!

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 04:46 AM
link   
Ok after reading all posts about this strange matter, here's a scientific objective conclusion:

It's a swamp gas trapped in a small weather balloon, covered with standard sewer slime.

Here's a quickly written FAQ if anyone is interested:

Should a zoologist examine it?
Heck no, nothing interesting here since we already know everything there is to know about it. You can poke it if you want, though I know you're too lazy for that and have an attention span of a sedated lemur.

Why is it there?
It's eating food remains from the sewers, quite a normal thing let me tell you. We've seen stuff like this before, over 1 times in the past 5 years on interwebs so nothing unusual and spectacular going on here.

Does presence of this (thing) indicate a biological hazard?
Nothing that we're aware of. And we're aware of many things.

Is there a video evidence showing anything similar?
Of course, look for tubifex (no, not tubiflex) worms and bryozoans. You might at first think that those two organisms do not even closely resemble anything similar to what we're seeing in this sewer, but you're wrong, simply because... you just are.
Aside from swamp gas, there are speculations by leading biologists that this thing is a mutation between tubifex and bryozoan. Even though our specimen obviously reacts to the light and does not really like water strongly contradicts both mentioned species' behaviour, leading experts still think they're right.

What is that excrescence on the 3rd specimen in the video?
No one currently knows that.

Ok, is this just a really good CGI?
Well, if we put aside people's names and company names that are held responsible for the video, exact known location of it, and plenty of other obvious common sense facts - yes this could be a (darn good though) CGI.

Hmm, that looks like someone's bowels, you sure this is a pipe?
That is a good observation, small stream of water flowing through a perfectly oval hollow object does look like kinda organic. Even though there's rust everywhere and apparent crack in the wall, and other array of facts (read previous question) this might not in fact be a pipe. Either case, if it's someone's intestine then I would not like to be that someone.

Gosh, the 3rd one looks creepy... I mean it's almost moving, wtf?
It seems to be a reaction to the light, even though no worms nor bryozoans, nor swamp gases react to light this thing is. Current speculation says that numerous chemicals and toxins present in the environment caused our sewer monster to gain new features not available to his normal salt-water friends.

What's the conclusion on this?
What you're seeing is a mutant (kinda like teenage mutant ninja turtles) organism made of crazy crap-eating worms, unusual immobile sea ooze, swamp gas, weather balloon and your common household chemicals. As I said, nothing unusual here.

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 04:52 AM
link   
reply to post by mortalengine

Hi Mortalengine,

Have spoken to dad regarding some of the questions you have raised.

He says the following - the Tubifex worm is photophobic. This means they are scared of light. This explains the movement once light is pointed at the mass of worms. They also move collectively - like bacteria, fish, birds etc. Scientists do not know why they move together (I personally believe it's EM fields in fish in particular), but this sort of behaviour is common in various lifeforms and species, this explains the clinging to the sides.
He has personally kept Tubifex worms as fish feed. The place he kept them was the toilet - they normally require water to keep alive but can survive brief periods of drought (between flushes). When put in the fish aquarium in a large amount, they would sit in a ball. Any worms extending from the main mass were quickly picked off by fish - it is a safety in numbers mechanism.
The Tubifex gets its nutrients from water, and will move around accordingly to satisfy this requirement.

Hope this answers your questions, anything else just fire away and I'll get you some info.

edit: one last thing, he walked into my room while I was watching the video and never saw the thread. He said first up that they were tubifex and told me about owning them when younger.

[edit on 1/7/09 by GhostR1der]

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 04:59 AM
link   
oh my god....

i hope they dont creep up the toilet some day :S...
when im sitting on it...

eeeew!

to be honest...this looks very strange/weird
like a living tumor...

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 05:03 AM
link   
Around the 0:24 second mark, if you look closely you can see individual 'worms' moving away as the 'creature' reacts to the light. Try focusing on one tiny part of of the 'creature' rather then looking at it as a whole. Looking at the whole thing at once creates an optical illusion that gives the impression of solidity.

I'm coming around to the idea of Tubifex worms. The only problem for me is that all the other videos of Tubifex worms show then constantly moving. These ones seem to be staying still until they are disturbed. But, still, the more you watch just one section of the 'creature' and observe how it reacts the more I believe it could be a mass of Tubifex.

Think I'm going to stop watching it for awhile. Got to cook some dinner soon!

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 05:07 AM
link   
I have to agree that the Tubifex theory isn't very convincing. In most tubifex "colonies" or clusters you can clearly see that it's a mass of worms and not a single organism. In the video it can be either - although I'm leaning towards a single creature. Also with a tubifex cluster there is typically one or two (or more) worms that is to the side of the mass (i.e. not part of the mass). I can't find a single solitary worm to the side of the mass. Another thing about them is that they like swimming, so we would typically see solitary worms swimming at the bottom of the masses where they are touching the water.

As for the bryozoa theory - considering the extensive variance in the species I'm willing to accept this as an answer. However bryozoa typically lives inside water, not above it...

The protuberance at 1:50... (the white object that sticks up at the top of the creature. It bobs up and down once or twice and then disappears underneath the mass again.) If this is part of the creature it may give a better clue as to what it is. It may however be a twig or something stuck underneath the mass that moves as the mass moves.

Compelling mystery.

Edit: Clarity

[edit on 1-7-2009 by Gemwolf]

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 05:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by GhostR1der

Hope this answers your questions, anything else just fire away and I'll get you some info.

Well, there are a lot of unanswered questions, just have a browse through the last couple
of pages.

I'd like to know what's up with the clinging extrusions?
I can quite clearly see how the main body of the blob could be explained as a mass of worms, but it's the movement around the outside bordering the blob that really doesn't fit. The youtube video of the worms shows the worms around the outside of the mass squirming around in what I would describe as very worm like behavior. But our Sewage Monster (what?...it's a good name) seems to differ remarkably.
Basically, around the outside of this thing there appares to be protrusions stretched tight and fastened to the wall. But when they move and pull toward the body mass of the blob, they don't appear to suddenly loose their hold on the wall and loose their tension. They certainly don't appear worm like.

Can anyone provide footage of these Tubifex worms that shows the same appears as the three separate blobs in the op's footage (it happened not just once, the appearance was achieved three times, so if these are Tubifex worms I'm sure we can see other examples of the exact same thing).

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 05:19 AM
link   
I'd like to know how it can "react to light" considering that it is currently underground, and one can presume it has been there since it was "born" therefore why would it have photo synthesis if it is never in contact with the sunlight?

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 05:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by GhostR1der

Hi Mortalengine,

Have spoken to dad regarding some of the questions you have raised.

He says the following - the Tubifex worm is photophobic. This means they are scared of light. This explains the movement once light is pointed at the mass of worms. They also move collectively - like bacteria, fish, birds etc. Scientists do not know why they move together (I personally believe it's EM fields in fish in particular), but this sort of behaviour is common in various lifeforms and species, this explains the clinging to the sides.
He has personally kept Tubifex worms as fish feed. The place he kept them was the toilet - they normally require water to keep alive but can survive brief periods of drought (between flushes). When put in the fish aquarium in a large amount, they would sit in a ball. Any worms extending from the main mass were quickly picked off by fish - it is a safety in numbers mechanism.
The Tubifex gets its nutrients from water, and will move around accordingly to satisfy this requirement.

edit: one last thing, he walked into my room while I was watching the video and never saw the thread. He said first up that they were tubifex and told me about owning them when younger.

Okay thats a fair enough point then, it seems tubifex worms are photophobic, but why then does it contract and release more like a muscle than anything else. If you take a close look at the last specimen you can clearly see that it's holding onto the wall with almost tendril looking ..well.. tendrils. Sometimes it releases it's "hold" and retracts the "tendrils" You have to ask yourself, if those are tubifex worms, why are some of them acting as support tendrils rather than joining the party ?

Tubifex was a nice try but I have to say I'm not buying it, the 3rd specimen really makes it hard to believe. You can see that it almost appears shiny and gooey, it has a larger tentacle amongst the tendrils that it retracts quite slowly into itself, you can see it on the right hand side of the last specimen.

You also need to understand that, although your dad might be a entomologist, there are bryozoan "experts" who are claiming this is definately a form of Bryozoa. So it goes to show you how people see what they want to see, both groups cant be right.

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 05:27 AM
link   
And that's how the ninja turtles are born.
Class dismissed.

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 05:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nventual
I'd like to know how it can "react to light" considering that it is currently underground, and one can presume it has been there since it was "born" therefore why would it have photo synthesis if it is never in contact with the sunlight?

Have you ever been stabbed in the eye with a sword?
Do you think you would react if you were?

No?
Swords don't exist, and nobody has ever been stabbed in the face . . .

[edit on 1-7-2009 by alaskan]

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 05:43 AM
link   
reply to post by GhostR1der

Also, I would like to know how, if these are tubifex worms - how pray tell did they climb up onto that wall ? Considering they didnt bore a hole all the way down and into that crack in the wall you would think they'd just be a writhing mass in that water somewhere. If they got in there via the water, I simply dont see how they would have been able to climb up and keep themselves on that wall.

I think it's also possible that they aren't actually responding to the light but rather a different stimulus. Perhaps sound or even vibrations in the water ?

Look very carfeully when it moves, the tendrils that surround it all move as if they're part of the same thing, almost like an octopus.

To be totally honest, this thing look like one of those squishy balls that has been thrown at a wall. You know those balls that are almost like jelly and squash and hold onto the wall.

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 06:01 AM
link   
Wow, I am glad people are as interested in this as I was when coming across this video...

The one thing I would like to throw out there... what if the "it" was not so much responding to the light.. but more the HEAT off of the light.

If you notice it does not really start moving until after the light is shining on it for a couple of seconds.. plenty enough time to start heating up from an obvious bright light source.

Being that this is a 6 inch pipe, it would be hard for someone to get in there to retrieve one... but surely these 3 specimens cannot be the only ones in the area. I do think a thorough study should be conducted in that area though. The nearest large opening where that water is flowing to would be a great place to start.

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 06:17 AM
link   
jesus i have been meaning to post a comment since page 5 but keep getting side tracked with work or other chores. ok finally ready every single post. here is my take for what its worth.

Ok first off they dont look anything like the tubifex worms being shown in the youtube video. if that is indeed what they are then they have mutated.

im undecided on what the hell these things are but im sure of one thing my time spend on the #ter just halved.

that is the most repulsive thing i have seen since i saw George Bush try to kiss a baby.

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 07:14 AM
link   
Ok, 9 pages, read every post.

Now what's curious to me is that no one yet has pointed out that the tubifex worms as shown in the couple of videos here are clearly SEGMENTED. In other words, their bodies are composed of very visible, distinguishable segments, a bit like what you might see in a centipede.

But when I see the "creature" video, I don't see these segments that way at all, if I focus on individual strands of the new creature. They are much smoother. So until someone comes up with a video or pic of a real smooth tubifex worm variant, or better yet, a cluster of them that closely resemble what we are seeing here- I can't go for that explanation at all- and even more so when combined with some of the other observations here.

To me this is just the final proof that yes, we have had aliens living underground for millions of years.
The reptilians have to eat SOMETHING ya know. And what better way to indulge themselves than lining the paths to their exit holes (our toilets) with food along the way? Thank God they're already full before they reach the commode.

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join