It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Toy moves objects with brain waves

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 09:48 AM
link   
The toys theyre making now days are things that people only dreamed of just a couple of decades ago but were still progressing a lot slower than I thought and hoped we would.
I know that people in the 50's thought that technology like this and and many other types were only about a decade away.
Ive seen documentaries about that era and some of the stuff that was patented and invented back then is really amazing for that time period, in fact, i think one of the main things that was holding us back tech wise was the lack of a small enough and powerful enough portable power supply (battery) as well as smaller and more powerful micro-processors.

This particular "toy" was originally invented for persons who were paralyzed or have lost limbs and with the device properly connected, they are able to move things around with their thoughts.
Its pretty cool, the best toy that my generation had, besides video game systems that came out when i was Twelve, was these robots that could be programmed to go three feet, turn left, go two feet, turn right etc... very basic and pretty boring after about an hour lol.

NYPOST

If things like this are already commercially available, just think what they have "behind the scenes"

The Force Trainer, expected to sell for about $120, is not medical-grade hardware, but it uses a headset to monitor the brain, and then transmits a signal to a base that features a fan and a ball in a tube. The headset is calibrated to sense beta waves, a specific type of brain waves associated with concentration. When you focus, the headset reads the electrical pattern from inside your head and sends a signal to a microchip that switches on the fan in the base unit and levitates the pingpong in a clear tube. The more intense the focus and concentration, the faster the fan spins and the quicker the ball rises. When concentration is broken or weak, the ball drops. A computer chip programmed with the voice of Yoda the Jedi master guides users through several increasingly different levels of control. Another mind toy, Mattel's Mind Flex, uses the same mind-bending technology to guide a ball through a series of obstacles. It will be available in the fall. "The mind sends signals to the body all the time," says Tansy Brook, spokeswoman for Neurosky, the company that simplified and shrunk the technology to fit inside the toys. "But for many people this is the first time you can see it sending a signal to things outside body, and it's really just a matter of learning what kind of feeling you need to have in your brain to make things happen. "The application and modification of the technology is cutting-edge," says Brook, "but its history and roots are based in something very familiar -- EEGs." Scientists have been studying electroencephalography, or EEG -- the recording of electrical activity along the scalp produced by the firing of neurons within the brain -- since 1890. The technology has been used for medical applications for roughly 60 years, but this is the first time it's become widely available and affordable.

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 10:12 AM
link   
very cool

2nd line

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 10:15 AM
link   
Yeah I saw the video game system where you put it on your head and use the "gravity gun" of your cerebral cortex..

Great activity to improve brain functionality for the disabled.

new topics

join