It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Blood Samples Raise Questions of Privacy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 08:56 AM
link   

Blood Samples Raise Questions of Privacy

www.washingtonpost.com

Matthew Brzica and his wife hardly noticed when the hospital took a few drops of blood from each of their four newborn children for routine genetic testing. But then they discovered that the state had kept the dried blood samples ever since -- and was making them available to scientists for medical research.

"They're just taking DNA from young kids right out of the womb and putting it into a warehouse," said Brzica, of Victoria, Minn. "DNA is what makes us who we are. It's just not right."
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 08:56 AM
link   
I have heard about this going on for some time now, but wasn't really aware of the almost total extent of it practice in the overwhelming majority of US states - just about all of them are doing it.

Doing what ?

Maintaining a database of the 'genetic profile' of all newborn children under the 'guise' of mandatory screening for common genetic diseases which may be treatable shortly after birth.

As this article refers to, these 'genetic databases' are commonly made available to researchers for the purposes of new pharmaceutical developments, and general population research.

Finally, it is widely believed that law enforcement will have access to these genetic profiles 'downstream' in the the child's lifetime which may be used for the purpose of securing criminal convictions.

I'm sure there's even more terrible ways this 'data' can be used by the 'establishment' to manage the 'herd', but what has already been said seems like enough reasons to me to stop this practice across the board immediately.

www.washingtonpost.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 09:18 AM
link   
Here is what one well known commentator has to say about this issue -

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 09:26 AM
link   
No offense, but please tell me you have a better source to back up this thread than a wacko like Alex Jones. THose blood samples are probably going for legitimate research connected to the Human Genome Project.

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 09:36 AM
link   
reply to post by secretagent woooman

could you please provide proof of your claims?
I believe Alex Jones to be someone who is trying to wake people up to the truth.

And how do you KNOW that these samples are going to the Human Genome Project? I thought that thing was finished years ago.

I find it more likely that they're building a database of everyones DNA to track us throughout our lives. Its too easy to get a sample of DNA these days.

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by secretagent woooman
No offense, but please tell me you have a better source to back up this thread than a wacko like Alex Jones. THose blood samples are probably going for legitimate research connected to the Human Genome Project.

No offense, but did you just come here to hate on this thread, and on Jones ?

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 09:48 AM
link   
All that needs to happen is have an insurance company (or the government with ObamaCare) get a copy of the DNA signature and have them then, deny your child healthcare because he/she is genetically disposed disease X or disease Y.

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 09:57 AM
link   
reply to post by selfisolated

The Human Genome Project

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/fbeca1660678.jpg[/atsimg]
Source : genomics.energy.gov

It is a pretty well known fact, by their own admission, as shown here in the citation from the Human Genoe Project home page, that a major result of the project was the 'privatization' and the 'intellectual capitalization' of segments of the human genome - our 'birthright' as human beings ...

Private industry is making money off of patents which resulted from the 'reverse engineering' of our own genome.

How cool is that ?

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 10:05 AM
link   
reply to post by mikerussellus

You said :
All that needs to happen is have an insurance company (or the government with ObamaCare) get a copy of the DNA signature and have them then, deny your child healthcare because he/she is genetically disposed disease X or disease Y.

Absolutely !

Even though I didn't enumerate this 'aspect' of the 'issue,' it is certainly just as foreboding, and probably even moreso than the law enforcement aspect ...

'Comingled' with this consideration is also that of the impact this database will have on an individual's prospects for employment. Besides the obvious 'medical insurability' issues involved, it has also been put forth that an individual's 'genetic profile' may indicate with high confidence just what kind of an employee he/ she will make - that is to say, 'genetic-behavioral profiling' ...

Certainly a very heart warming thought ...

Thanks for reminding us of this.

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 11:29 PM
link   
And now they're attempting to use these blood samples as a way to improve the economy in Detroit
: So it's a business venture now
What they are doing is highly unethical.

How dare they use children's blood samples without obtaining the parents permission, especially to boost their ecomomy !

Michigan, for example, is moving millions of samples from a state warehouse in Lansing to freezers in a new "neonatal biobank" in Detroit in the hopes of helping make the economically downtrodden city a center for biomedical research. The National Institutes of Health, meanwhile, is funding a $13.5 million, five-year project aimed at creating a "virtual repository" of blood samples from around the country.

www.washingtonpost.com...

And they want to create a repository of samples from the whole county. For what purpose ???

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 11:36 PM
link   

THose blood samples are probably going for legitimate research connected to the Human Genome Project.

It makes no difference if those samples are being used for legitimate research or not, nor does it make a difference what project they are being used for. They have no right to store, or use those blood samples without permission. Those samples are a part of someone and no one has a right to have a part of someone else without their approval.

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 08:44 AM
link   
reply to post by chise61

Originally posted by chise61
And now they're attempting to use these blood samples as a way to improve the economy in Detroit
: So it's a business venture now
What they are doing is highly unethical.

How dare they use children's blood samples without obtaining the parents permission, especially to boost their ecomomy !

Michigan, for example, is moving millions of samples from a state warehouse in Lansing to freezers in a new "neonatal biobank" in Detroit in the hopes of helping make the economically downtrodden city a center for biomedical research. The National Institutes of Health, meanwhile, is funding a $13.5 million, five-year project aimed at creating a "virtual repository" of blood samples from around the country.

www.washingtonpost.com...

Yes, I am here in Ann Arbor, about 45-minutes on the freeway from the 'Big-D', as they call it around here, and overheard a news announcement about this yesterday as a radio played in the background ...

Detroit is an absolute collapsing economic black hole - I don't think there's any way whatsoever to fix it, but for 'cosmetic' reasons the politicians are applying whatever 'band-aides' they are able to dream up inside their feverish and desperate brains ...

---------------------

Originally posted by chise61

THose blood samples are probably going for legitimate research connected to the Human Genome Project.

Methinks the SecretAgentWoman is vying for our affections through the use of a rather blunt double entendre -

Double entendre

A double entendre is a figure of speech in which a spoken phrase is intended to be understood in either of two ways. In most cases, the first meaning is straightforward, while the second meaning is less so; often risqué, inappropriate, or ironic.

Source : Wikipedia

I say this because the Human Genome Project ( HGP ) is patently offensive on its very face to most due to the blatently commercial reasons for its existence. The notion of the commercialization of the human genome leaves me, for one, with that vaguely uneasy sensation in the pit of my stomach, if you know what I mean ... maybe a little like the way Roy felt as Decker closed in on him in the Blade Runner ...

Anyways, back on topic ...

Thanks for stopping by.

top topics

join