It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wikipedia Censored News of Afghanistan Kidnapping

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 07:47 AM
link   

Wikipedia Censored News of Afghanistan Kidnapping

rinf.com

THE New York Times worked with Wikipedia to keep news of the kidnapping of one of its reporters in Afghanistan off the online user-edited encyclopedia.

New York Times reporter David Rohde, who was kidnapped by the Taliban in November, escaped from his captors along with his translator this month.

A number of news organisations, including Agence France-Presse, at the request of the New York Times, agreed not to report the kidnapping out of concerns for their safety.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 07:47 AM
link   
The wikipedia is censored? This was supposed to be a site that anyone can see and get information from. I dont think I will trust Wikipedia because only "censor-passed" news or information comes through to the public

The NY times can sensor Wiki, then the US govt too can and must have censored Wiki in the past.

The kidnapping was bad news and the reporter's safety was the prime concern, but then censoring it is no answer to it

rinf.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 07:52 AM
link   
While I do think, if any reason reasons exist to warrant censorship, this would be it (ensuring safety by not reporting a SEEMINGLY insignificant event).... censoring a resource advertised to be user-managed, thus trustful, is 100% wrong.

I fully agree with your concerns that if the NY Times can censor Wikipedia, just imagine what the feds have already "cleaned".

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 08:08 AM
link   
reply to post by ninecrimes

I fully agree with your concerns that if the NY Times can censor Wikipedia, just imagine what the feds have already "cleaned".

The topics that are there on Wiki - UFOs, ETs, Iran, War in Iraq, CIA etc, you can imagine how much then we get to see in public and how much is censored.

Maybe we should try posting something sensitive on Wiki and then see if it is censored or if anything ever gets published

[edit on 30-6-2009 by sunny_2008ny]

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 08:25 AM
link   
I think when human life is at steak, especially that of a relatively obscure reporter that 99.99% of people would not recognize off hand, then it's ohkayyy to temporarily bar information that could lead to that mans torture and death.

new topics

top topics

join