It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Attention ATS Pet Owners

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 06:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Heatburger
reply to post by silo13

Yes exactly. I'd rather destroy them than to let them run free. That is simply not an option ever. It's better for them to be humanely PTS than to roam and fend for themselves.

WTF?

If your dogs could type I'm sure they'd like to post a rebuttal on that one!!

Talk about unconscious selfish arrogance masquerading as compassion ... sheeesh!

[edit on 1/7/09 by RogerT]

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 07:19 AM
link   
reply to post by RogerT

Ah, don't be so hard on him/her, heck, I know quite a few humons that should be humanly PTS.

Those that own dogs probably haven't much to worry about, dogs can eat just about anything, including their owner, and survive just fine. Cats on the other hand have certain dietary requirements, such as need for taurine in their diet. As an alternative to stocking up on too much pet food, one could print out some true and tested home made pet food recipes and keep them handy, along with any necessary special ingredients. Taurine for example can be purchased at all health and nutritional stores, and it has a longer shelf life than off-the-shelf pet foods. You could then just pluck fish from a nearby lake, or capture birds in the wild, or share your chicken with them and add the necessary nutrients. Heck, a lot of people that consider their pets part of their family already make their own pet food because it's healthier than feeding them rendering scraps and pig brains that are in most cheap commercial pet foods.

[edit on 1-7-2009 by Divinorumus]

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by RogerT

reply to post by silo13

Yes exactly. I'd rather destroy them than to let them run free. That is simply not an option ever. It's better for them to be humanely PTS than to roam and fend for themselves.

WTF?

If your dogs could type I'm sure they'd like to post a rebuttal on that one!!

Talk about unconscious selfish arrogance masquerading as compassion ... sheeesh!

[edit on 1/7/09 by RogerT]

Well sorry I have no compassion in your eyes, but my dogs are 13 years old in failing health. One with arthritis and cataracts, one with cancer. They do not and an not hunt. They would starve to death if I could not care for them.

I know this from current observation.

Anyway, I don't believe it's selfish and arrogoant when I know my pets, I know their abilities, and I know ultimately that they could not fend for themselves.

Thanks for your post.

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 06:24 PM
link   
OK, I apologize.

when you said 'run free' I got the wrong impression.

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 06:26 PM
link   
I'd keep feeding my dogs before I fed a lot of people I know.

Seriously though, we do have a plan for them.

I had a dream the other night (last week after spending a few too many hours on ATS) that he alien spacecraft came to save some people from earth as the lava fires raged some were refusing to leave their pets behind. Just like during Katrina. And the head alien was furious with his worker dudes for not having planned for this.

[edit on 1-7-2009 by ~Lucidity]

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 07:25 PM
link   
reply to post by RogerT

No harm done. In 5 pages it's the first i've mentioned my dogs' health conditions so there's no way you knew. But 'run free' I meant basically turn loose on the streets to try and find food for themselves. They're minimally capable. They could do enough on instinct to survive, you know, but I personally feel it would be more humane to have them PTS. But that would be an absolute last resort. They'll be with me until the end as far as I'm concerned.

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by rapunzel222
my cat had nose cancer and we put him down when he got thin and stopped eating, but i still feel like we killed him, cuz we did.

i dont think lethal injections are humane, i would rather have shot him to the back of the head when he didnt realize it was going to happen, if i had to do it at all; as i think he knew what was coming with the injection and was scared.

i would hate someone to inject me if i knew it was coming.

yeah; i feel like we betrayed him; even though he was dying anyway. i wonder if its better to let nature take its course sometimes. we didnt ask him - he didnt have a choice, and he was scared; so i didnt like the way it was done, although i guess the vet did their best. my cat was so wise; i think he was smarter than humans.

my dog is like my child; .. i dont know; i think dogs have a better chance of surviving than humans, as maybe some of their hunting instincts would take over. hopefully hed be able to catch a duck or something if he tried. cats can usually hunt, which is some peace of mind.

Not only is shooting the pet better for the pet (quicker and who knows what they really feel after poison is injected into them), but it's better for the environment also. After a pet is euthanized at the vet's, they have to dispose of the body or it has to be buried right away. And it has to be buried deep. Critters can eat the corpse and become poisoned themselves. I dunno what the poison does to the environment as decomposition sets in.

I have had to drown baby hamsters before because they were slowly starving to death. Their mom died and they were too young yet for solid foods. Hand feeding didn't work. It was hard thing to do, but to let them keep suffering would have been much worse. I stopped having hamsters for a while after that because it was so upsetting.

Pets really need their rabies vaccinations if they're going to be eating other animals.

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jessicamsa
Pets really need their rabies vaccinations if they're going to be eating other animals.

Yes, I would loot a vets office for rabies vacs if it came down to it. That is the last thing I would want...to be at fault for my pet getting rabies and having to put them down by whatever means after all the hard work of keeping them with me. It would defeat the purpose of taking them with me to keep them safe if I didn't take rabies precautions.

[edit on 6-7-2009 by Heatburger]

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 04:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Heatburger

Here in KY they are reporting an increase in rabies cases. Some of those cases involve skunks, bats, foxes, and horses.

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 04:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Jessicamsa

That's scary. I'm in KY and haven't heard this. I guess it's no big deal since my pets are all UTD on their shots, but still...the wildlife, other people's unvaccinated pets... I wonder what's causing the increase.

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 06:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Heatburger

One thought to that, although it is certainly not the complete answer. In my fair city, for whatever reason, we are seeing a large increase in animals having violent allergic reactions to the rabies vaccine.

My own lovely dog had the vaccine twice, in a single dose separated by a couple months from any other vaccine. For at least a week he morphed from my sweet and loving cuddle muffin to a growling, barking, and yes, biting, monster. It got so bad that last year the vet applied for a rabies exemption on our behalf. This is going on all over the city. While I make sure to keep my dog on a close leash, I'm sure there are animals who are far less supervised.

I don't even know if that makes sense, but if it does, perhaps it could be a piece of the puzzle?

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 09:45 PM
link   

That's scary. I'm in KY and haven't heard this. I guess it's no big deal since my pets are all UTD on their shots, but still...the wildlife, other people's unvaccinated pets... I wonder what's causing the increase.

Yeah, it was in today's Lexington paper.

www.kentucky.com...

Dunno what is causing it of course though.

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 09:47 PM
link   
reply to post by CeltAngel

I hadn't heard of that before. That's not good.

Maybe they altered the vaccinations?

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 09:49 PM
link   
My dogs and cats would make wonderful meals for me and my family. When the SHTF and we are hungry , before stealing from my neighbor, I will eat my pets. When one is starving this will sound like a no brainer.

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 10:11 PM
link   
reply to post by wiredamerican

I appreciate the input but I requested in the OP to not get these kinds of posts. I think logically enough to know it may be an option for some, and completely makes sense for some, but never for myself. My pets are family, and will be no person's meal.

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 10:50 PM
link   
I do all my pet shopping at Walmart. Much Much cheaper than Petsmart or Petco, which in my opinion rip you off. Thats about as economical as they get... Besides a bag of Iams Cat or Dog food is the same damn thing regardless of whether you pay 5$ or 8$ for it.

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 07:12 PM
link   
reply to post by xynephadyn

I agree on the basic foods, we do rip you off there and that I think will be the company's demise. Our only advantage in the situation is that we sell higher-quality foods also. And eventually in this economy, people may opt for Purina or Iams over a $60 bag of Blue Buffalo Wilderness or EVO or something simmilar, so the fact that we sell high quality foods does not mean we'll stay in business.

[edit on 7-7-2009 by Heatburger]

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 01:58 AM
link   
reply to post by scubagravy

Words are sometimes used to mask intentions.

We call dead cow meat, hamburger, dead pig meat, pork and putting down, putting asleep and euthanasia are candy coated terms for murdering, killing and the taking of another beings life.

Humans like to sugar coat terms that are too painful to say upfront to mask the guilt in the name of politeness.

Funny once my grand daughter and I were eating lunch out together and she asked me how they made hamburger what was it? and I replied, you don't want to really know. She looked at me and I said, hamburgers are cows. She quietly put her hamburger down and hasn't had one since. I hope she doesn't ask about bacon or ham.

[edit on 10-7-2009 by ofhumandescent]

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 02:21 AM
link   
I have four lil babies, one male poodle, one female chihuahua, and the beautiful offspring of their mistaken litter(We call them choodles). I love them all so much, I cannot imagine being without them, exspecially if things were bad, they would be all I would have to brighten my days, aside from my husband! I already share meals with them, if food were scarce I suppose we could make do, I would certainly give up a meal for them!

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 07:32 AM
link   

I wish I knew. The last time I had a dog was when I was 5(ish) and I don't remember any behavior issues with him.

Vaccines in general are starting to scare the piss out of me. First I started having bad reactions to vaccines, then the thing with my dog. I wouldn't miss vacicnes in the least if we had a SHTF scenario.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join