It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Attention ATS Pet Owners

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 06:33 AM
link   
I don't worry too much about it.

I've seen people who barely have enough food to feed themselves and they still manage too feed a dog. Dogs are very adaptable and manage to survive with very little unpretentious food in case of need. Sure, it would be hard in the beginning if they're spoiled, but the survival instinct is stronger than anything.

And about my cats I worry even less. They're outdoorsy and I'm sure in the worst case they can even take care of themselves

In any case I wouldn't put them down, except if they get really really sick.

With the money I'd have to pay for the lethal injection I would rather feed them one more day.

Don't worry, everything will be fine for all of us, including our pets!

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 06:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by scubagravy
Id prefer if the word 'destroy' wasnt used, after all these are family members we are talking of!! We wouldnt 'destroy' our brothers, sisters and such! I understand its for lack of a better word tho damn ......

I can agree with that. I'm guilty of using the word for no better reason than because I feel it dehumanizes the fact that it is killing, you know? "Pts" or "put to sleep" is my preferred term, but "destroy" is a vague way of detaching emotionally from the fact that it's essentially someone murdering their pet. Not something I would ever want to do, but if it's in their best interests, and not just mine financially or otherwise, one has to consider their pet's welfare. The terminology just makes it mentally easier to cope with, personally.

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 06:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wallachian

Don't worry, everything will be fine for all of us, including our pets!

God I hope so. And regarding what you said about dogs being adaptable, that may be true...but I myself have dogs, a cat, 2 parrots, and 3 rabbits. They are all pets that I love and care for, but I worry that the birds and buns will not have the instincts to carry on without proper care.

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 06:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Heatburger

I haven't thought of other pets except dogs and cats because I only have a dog and some cats (all rescued from the street except for one cat).

But I did have rabbits too at some point, and they I know they don't require too much food... And no meat, which is very very good. Don't know about the birds, but hey, how much can birds eat, after all?

What I do worry about is medication, stuff against parasites and so on... Those would really be a problem...

But I still mean what I said, that everything will be fine in the end. If it's not fine, then it's not the end yet

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 06:57 AM
link   
Everytime i go shopping for canned foods i'll take some catfood with me, so yeah i'll try and take care of the cat as good as possible and cats are pretty much good hunters so if worse comes to worse she'll have to take out a bird or mouse but around that time i'll be in the woods scrounging for edible plants and stuff.

[edit on 30-6-2009 by Harman]

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 07:04 AM
link   
Pets are a big money making industry, but I have pets all my life since I was growing up.

I have no problem with a recession affecting me and my dogs as back in the days the pet industry was nothing but luxury visit once in a big while to the vet if it was one around the city.

I cook the food my three dogs eat and I use natural ways to treat their illnesses and because rabies shots are mandatory that is the only thing I do once a year at a vet office.

My dogs are healthy happy and so far now one is 11 and the other two 10 years old.

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 07:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wallachian

What I do worry about is medication, stuff against parasites and so on... Those would really be a problem...

That's one of the key things I worry about. Food, water, shelter...If I have that, my pets will too. But the medecines are another story. Especially for the birds and rabbits, as they are "exotic" by vet standards.

From the pet lovers in this thread it sounds like if the SHTF our dedication may lead to a mass looting of vets offices and pet med distribution centers!

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 08:34 AM
link   
my cat had nose cancer and we put him down when he got thin and stopped eating, but i still feel like we killed him, cuz we did.

i dont think lethal injections are humane, i would rather have shot him to the back of the head when he didnt realize it was going to happen, if i had to do it at all; as i think he knew what was coming with the injection and was scared.

i would hate someone to inject me if i knew it was coming.

yeah; i feel like we betrayed him; even though he was dying anyway. i wonder if its better to let nature take its course sometimes. we didnt ask him - he didnt have a choice, and he was scared; so i didnt like the way it was done, although i guess the vet did their best. my cat was so wise; i think he was smarter than humans.

my dog is like my child; .. i dont know; i think dogs have a better chance of surviving than humans, as maybe some of their hunting instincts would take over. hopefully hed be able to catch a duck or something if he tried. cats can usually hunt, which is some peace of mind.

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 08:34 AM
link   

[edit on 30-6-2009 by rapunzel222]

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 09:16 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Originally posted by Heatburger
He referenced the recession, and then said "petsmart is recession-proof and depression-proof, if it goes that far"

This was what stood out to me the most in the opening post. And I have to say, boy could that guy be in for a rude awakening. Sure, a lot of people treat their pets like one of the family. But if he thinks people require PetSmart to exist to be able to take care of their pets, he's spending a little too much time on the corporate jet.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 09:24 AM
link   
I agree with the mod post above about spending too much time on the jet

There's no way PetSmart is recession/depression proof. Personally I love my dog, he's a great guard and always there. All you have to do is feed him
If it came down to it he would get some scraps of my food ya know?

Plus I couldn't get rid of him... he doesn't listen to anyone but me and he bites

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 09:32 AM
link   
The local humane society runs a food pantry of sorts to supply pet food to folks who cant really afford it right now. When it comes down to given your pet up for adoption because you cant afford to keep it or supplying cheap/free food to keep these people from dumping their pets the cost of the food is far less than the cost of taking in yet another animal and housing it and prepping it for adoption.

I have a dog and a cat and they have no problem eating chipmunks and mice and anything else they find. They would probably do much better than me in the face of absolute collapse simpy because they dont care what they are eating. The cat got himself an adult squirrel one day. That was a sight.

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 10:04 AM
link   
i have 2 dogs and a cat,i also live in the country so the dogs arnt in cages or lesh's.I would feed the dogs best i could if the shtf but they pretty much take care of themselfs as it is.Now my cat could probly take care of me and herself,she brings birds, and rabbits bigger then her inside all the time>

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 10:14 AM
link   
That is a scary thought.. I already want to get rid of them but I also worry about them being taken care of...

It's a horrible situation all around.

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 10:36 AM
link   
reply to post by rapunzel222

You really shouldn't feel bad about putting your cat to sleep. I've lost two cats years ago, one died of cancer, one of kidney failure. I chose not to give them the lethal injection, and I'm now convinced I made the wrong choice. It wasn't pretty at all to watch them suffer so much. I'm even convinced that they hated me in their last moments for letting them suffer. I wouldn't make that mistake again, even though it would be extremely difficult for me to decide to kill them.

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 10:44 AM
link   

I have never thought of it before, we have a family dog, but he is not my child as he's an animal. I have three human kids that i care more about. I will say i do not abuse my dog, he is treated kindly, and very well fed, and taken care of. If it did come down to survival I have a family to take care of, and our dog probably would be left behind. I can always replace my dog but I cannot replace my husband or children or myself.

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 12:17 PM
link   

This is where my question comes into play. I know many people here on ATS have pets of some sort. Do you have a plan for them if the economy completely collapses?

I have personally trained my cat to enjoy Human flesh .. yes .. you heard right, when the SHTF my cat will be released to hunt his prey, and return with Human meat... muahahaha.. killer kitty..

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 12:33 PM
link   
My cats would be alright. One is a very good mouser. But otherwise, we would feed them whatever rations we could get. We have many pet-friendly edible plants around such as wheat grass and generally our pets would probably have an easier time surviving than we would, I imagine.

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Respect all forms of life.

(second line)

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 12:39 PM
link   
The store may be recession proof now, but if the recession continues going downhill, that may not be the case.

Toys are not a necessity either. People may let their fish die out and not continue their tanks.

In the old days, people used to feed their pets whatever scraps were left around, and that may easily be the case if things get worse. Cats can fend for themselves unless they are in a condo or apartment. People can make their own toys if they have too.

There are already signs of pets suffering. Horsese are being abandoned. The influx to shelters is at an all time high.
I wouldnt' be surprised if vet visits have dropped. I need to take my cats to the vets, but I can't afford too.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join