It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

States brace for shutdowns

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 06:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by max.is.awake
3. NASA. This is where billions of dollars literally go up in smoke. I will not go in detail because it would take several posts to prove this so I urge you to do some research right quick and see for yourselves. NASA is a joke and a money-hungry whore. PLEASE do some Googling. N A S A . 4 letters. Google.com.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

NASA is a joke? You want to know some other organizations and programs that are equally if not more retarded and disfunctional than NASA could ever hope to be? How about:

* Welfare! Yeah - how many people are abusing the federal and state welfare systems just so they don't have to get off their fat butts and work? How many people siphon the money away from people who really need the welfare system to help them? Remember, welfare aid is supposed to be a temporary aid program, not a career.

* The DMV (Department of Motorized vehicles) - This department, especially in California, is so screwed up that it would cost more money than it collects in a single year in fees just to clean up the mess! You're talking hundreds of millions of dollars annually being wasted due to mismanagement and error correction alone!

* State Healthcare - Let's pick on California again, since they are a day from going bankrupt. Do you know how much money they would save if state healthcare costs, paid by legal taxpaying citizens, didn't cover illegal immigrants? You could count on billions of dollars back right there if you just cut them off.

Oh and you want some other blatant WASTES OF MONEY??? Here are just a few:

$2,192,000 by Sen. Charles Schumer (D-N.Y.), House Agriculture Appropriations Subcommittee member Maurice Hinchey (D-N.Y.), then-House appropriator JamesWalsh (R-N.Y.), and Rep. Michael Arcuri (D-N.Y.) for the Center for Grape Genetics in Geneva.

$1,791,000 by Senate Agriculture Appropriations Subcommittee member TomHarkin (D-Iowa) for swine odor and manure management research in Ames. "...we’ve got $1.8 million to study why pigs smell."

$73,690,000 for 35 projects by Senate Interior Appropriations Subcommittee Chairwoman Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.), including: $5,600,000 for two projects at the Golden Gate National Recreation Area; $5,000,000 for San Francisco Bay restoration grants; $1,250,000 for the Angel Island Immigration Station; $800,000 for a tunnel at Yosemite National Park; and $460,000 for the Whiskeytown National Recreation Area. [all when the California governor has said they are going to be closing 80% of the state's parks and are suffering a 22 billion shortfall. Where are the priorities?]

$9,000,000 by then-Sen. Hillary Clinton (D-N.Y.), Sen. Charles Schumer (D-N.Y.), and Rep. Louise Slaughter (D-N.Y.) for a dining facility at the Niagara Falls Air Reserve Station.

Source: www.cagw.org...

At least NASA is doing something useful by exploring space and producing a number of spinoffs in zero-g research.

What about the people you keep re-electing to office, big-mouth? What are YOUR elected officials doing with YOUR money that's so much better?

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 06:58 PM
link   
If the government shuts down and goes home...is that really a bad thing?

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 07:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Xtinguish

Only for the people that can't do for themselves. Me personally I would welcome it.

No more big brother trying to dictate what I can and cannot do. That would be a bad thing for some people they would get the true taste of freedom and things might actually...... change.

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 09:49 PM
link   
reply to post by AnonymousMoose

In Arizona, the republican governor can't coordinate with the republican senators to pass the budget. They have until midnight tonight...

ktar.com...

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 12:49 AM
link   
The reason Indiana could not get a budget passed sooner is because of the DEMOCRATS. I live in the state and have been following very closely. I support Governor Daniels very strongly and i personally approve of his bill. It is written in to our state's constitution that there is to be no deficit spending. The Democrat bill would have gone against that. The state currently has 24 days of emergency funds which do not have to be tapped in to with the governor's budget plan.

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 01:31 AM
link   
The only thing you'll notice is ... oh wait, you won't notice a thing. Really, as long as the courts, law enforcement, and fire departments are still entact, nobody will give, or should give .. a flying f*ck.

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 01:43 AM
link   
reply to post by AgentX09

applied here by our own leaders
you still refer to them as leaders? i guess if you choose to follow.
for me they've always been rulers.

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 03:49 AM
link   
reply to post by FraternitasSaturni

It means when "the sh*t hits the fan", or the dung, or doo doo, or feces, or other non-cuss words hits the fan. Think about poop hitting a fan. What happens to the poop when it gets cut up and spread around by the fan blades? You have a big mess! Problems, end of the world, chaos, bad stuff.

[edit on 1-7-2009 by muffingirl]

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 04:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by max.is.awake
3. NASA. This is where billions of dollars literally go up in smoke. I will not go in detail because it would take several posts to prove this so I urge you to do some research right quick and see for yourselves. NASA is a joke and a money-hungry whore. PLEASE do some Googling. N A S A . 4 letters. Google.com.

This post enrages me. Serouisly NASA get about 20 billion a year out of a 1.7 trillion dollar budget. Not even drop in a swimming pool or even lake michigan. If anything NASA needs a 100 billion dollar budget. NASA is the most efficient and resourceful government agency out there.

They scrape together things. The phoenix lander was salvaged and abandoned and leftover from the 80's. The MRO's which are still making amazing discoveries on the martian surface 5 years past there life span cost less than 400 million dollars a piece. The, ISS, Cassinni, New Horizons, Messenger. I could go on and on about what they have accomplished with there tiny budget.

Look at all they do. We benefit so much from NASA. You would not be making your internet post from across the world had it not been for the data transfer experiments of the 60's Pioneer 11 and 12 projects

Nasa were the guys that gave us FAXES, reliable Data Transfer, Invisible Braces. Scratch Resistant Lenses, memory Foam, ear therometer, Cordless tools, or even SHOE INSOLES, thats right we would still be wearing uncomfortable shoes if it werent for NASA.

NASA INVENTED ALL THESE THINGS. NASA has filed more than 6,300 patents with the U.S. government .

[edit on 1-7-2009 by Spartak_FL]

[edit on 1-7-2009 by Spartak_FL]

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 10:54 AM
link   
So I guess today is judgement day for many states. I guess we will have to wait and see how things turn out. It shouldn't be long now.

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zosynspiracy
reply to post by UnderTheirRadar

I don't feel sorry for Californians AT ALL! They been living high on the hog FOR DECADES! There is so much damn wealth in California it's crazy! I mean people live like kings there. Even the middle class are living in million dollar homes thanks to the housing bubble. I'm in OC and I can't wait to get out and go move to Oregon. I'm from the midwest originally, MO to be exact. MO has it's pockets of wealth but it's NOTHING like California.

Well this wealth your talking about and the Hog they have been riding high on for decades may be commen place In "Orange County"...yeah the same place they had that one show about...I'm referring to the O.C.? The place where money really Isn't an issue?

Unlike yourself I live In the bay area...(South Bay, San Jose Area) to be exact...and the people I know have to have atleast 8+ working family members In one house just to afford the mortgage these days. And the middle class are paying 4000+ (a month) for 700k-800k houses which are located In the worst of area's.

Southern california may be more wealthy I would assume then the Northern area...but up here no one Is living like "Kings" trust me.

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 01:17 AM
link   
reply to post by gwynnhwyfar

To follow up:

What happened here in Arizona is that the legislature wrapped up their budget at 3:00 am and sent it to the Governor. She didn't like it all, so she signed it but did line item veto's on the stuff she does not want and is calling them back on Monday to deal further.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join