It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Just went through a dust storm....images here

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 02:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by aorAki
Really neat pictures there. Was that your weatherstation I saw?

Impressive!

Yep, the last image was from the AWS at the peak of the winds. I think 53 knots is about 100 kilometres per hour.

Just got latest warning too. Conditions have eased temporarily (not by much though, lol) but it is expected the high winds will be returning late tonight or in the early hours of the morning

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 02:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by scubagravy

Hunters all over the world have used spears but the 'woomera', a type of spearthrower, is a unique Aboriginal invention. A woomera is a simple lever that acts to increase the speed at which a spear is thrown, and thus increase the distance it travels. Made of wood, a woomera acts as an extension of the thrower's arm. A woomera and spear were the fastest weapons in the world before the invention of the self-loading rifle (Eric Willmot).

Here in the desert southwest of the US there called Atlatl's and they date back to the native Americans and before. there are rock drawings(Petroglyphs) that show atlatl's about 25 miles from where i live that date back 3000+ years.
www.myerchinphoto.com...

A Atlatl and seven spears found in found in Germany have been dated back 400,000 years ago, (Schöningen Germany)
en.wikipedia.org...

That shows they are not unique Australian Aboriginal inventions

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 03:37 AM
link   
That's quite the backyard view you have.

I look out my window and all I see is my neighbors snot nosed brat making faces at me from 3 feet away. If I lay on the ground under my window face up I can sometimes see a star or two so it's not all bad.

I'm jealous

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 06:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by PlausibleDeniability
That's quite the backyard view you have.

I look out my window and all I see is my neighbors snot nosed brat making faces at me from 3 feet away. If I lay on the ground under my window face up I can sometimes see a star or two so it's not all bad.

I'm jealous

All the beauty of living in a remote area

We've had some more strong winds forecast for tonight so maybe we will get some similar weather to today. More photos if it occurs

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 06:56 AM
link   
I never seen a dust storm in real life and i think it must be quite an experience to be in one.
It makes me think of a dust storm in iraq that i found on youtube.

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 08:06 AM
link   
reply to post by jaamaan

Wow that would be something to be standing in the middle of that thing! I thought that it would block the sun out to some extent but it went from light to pitch black quick. No I could see how people can get lost and turned around easy in them. Great video.

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 08:45 AM
link   
reply to post by OzWeatherman

Reminds me of what we get here in West Texas. The whole sky turns red from the VERY iron rich soil in the area. If it rains, it rains mud.

We have lots of cotton fields, so when you get wind (especially from the north) that hits in the sustained 30mph range, you get dust storms. Stanton, TX gets it the worst because it sits in the middle of miles and miles of cotton patch.

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 11:58 AM
link   
reply to post by ANNED

Thanks for that update ANNED, interesting. Woomera, i believe must be the aboriginal name for it. Btw, i didnt mention they were the 1st
. Thank you for your reply .

posted on Jul, 3 2009 @ 04:12 AM
link   
well Ozweatherman, it seems as if that wind stretched all the way to the east coast, its been blowin a gale here and it did pick up a chill comin over the mountains. Good Work

posted on Jul, 3 2009 @ 04:49 AM
link   
Looks like your stationed inside the main gates of Area 51. Nice pictures.

posted on Jul, 3 2009 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by THE_PROFESSIONAL
Looks like your stationed inside the main gates of Area 51. Nice pictures.

Lol

Interesting you say that actually, because Woomera Airforce base, where the met office is actually located, is actually called Area 51 here in Australia.

Its also been compared to area 51 in the US apparently, but the closest things Ive seen to UFO's out here are the UAV tests flown around by the British. However, Im not allowwed to take photos of those if Im lucky enough to see one.

Foggy here today....loving this new climate

posted on Jul, 3 2009 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Wow...that is creepy lol. The pictures are very surreal....perhaps your camera shutter will go off with a classified aircraft in the back.."oops...i thought another storm was coming"

posted on Jul, 3 2009 @ 11:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by THE_PROFESSIONAL

Wow...that is creepy lol. The pictures are very surreal....perhaps your camera shutter will go off with a classified aircraft in the back.."oops...i thought another storm was coming"

Lol, you never know

Only problem is, if I do get something, Im likely to get a visit from the army guys and have my camera confiscated.

posted on Jul, 3 2009 @ 11:28 PM
link   
I'm sorry I got into this so late. A question or maybe two.
Is the dust "wall" itself associated with any particular activity? It is a gust front? Is there any lifting going on? How high?

posted on Jul, 3 2009 @ 11:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
I'm sorry I got into this so late. A question or maybe two.
Is the dust "wall" itself associated with any particular activity? It is a gust front? Is there any lifting going on? How high?

Actually, in this instance it may have been a gust front that raised the dust. There was a severe cold front and low pressure system producing the wind, and there was large cumulus present with the dust storm, which is a good indication that it may have been the gust front causing it.

Another factor I ruled out was a dry microburst, but for that to occur there needed to be cumulonimbus present, and there wasnt any at that time.

There is lifting associated with both those, due to turbulent air mixing. Im not sure if you missed it at the start but we had gale force winds at the time as well. We had sustained winds of around 40-43 knots and gusts over 50 knots, so yeah it was quite windy, lol

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 12:03 AM
link   

I did not miss the wind readings. Kind of hard to.

It's really the lifting that interests me. So it was blowing stink already and shear (in direction and/or speed) came through in the midst of it. Something like that?

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 12:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phage

I did not miss the wind readings. Kind of hard to.

It's really the lifting that interests me. So it was blowing stink already and shear (in direction and/or speed) came through in the midst of it. Something like that?

Well, the wind had picked up. Just looking at my half hourly observations now (notice my times between obs are reduced when as the weather deteriorated). Columns are time (in zulu), degrees (direction), then sustained winds followed by gusts. You can see how the wind switched from an northwesterly to a westerly as the front came through

2300z 330 15kt 17kt
2330z 310 14kt 19kt
0000z 300 20kt 27kt
0010z 290 23kt 33kt
0030z 290 29kt 39kt
0051z 290 33kt 44kt (dust storm starts here)
0100z 280 33kt 49kt
0104z 250 41kt 53kt (dust storm peaks, and gradually weakens now)
0119z 250 29kt 36kt
0121z 250 31kt 44kt (last time I reported dust storm)
0130z 250 29kt 45kt

The winds stayed about the same as the last observations for the rest of the day as the cold front passed. It wasnt that windy and the dust storm was a good indication that the cold front had arrived

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 12:19 AM
link   
Cool pictures! Sort of reminds me of parts of Texas. I bet that made for an awesome sunset!

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 12:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by MaMaa
Cool pictures! Sort of reminds me of parts of Texas. I bet that made for an awesome sunset!

Unfortunantly for us, the dust storm occured in the morning, and the wind combined with some rain actually settled the dust down. Plus, the sunset also occured in the opposite direction to which the dust was moving, lol

So we got a normal sunset

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 12:40 AM
link   
Those are some awesome photos Oz. How long are you in Darwin for?

Looking forward to more great weather pics from you.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join