It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Yemeni Airlines flight crashes in Indian Ocean,

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 09:23 AM
link   
Just a snippit of info,

There was no report of technical problems when the plane took off,

What a lucky little boy this 5 year old child is! I Hope that he really pulls through, what a story this child will have to tell. Im sure he also holds a big key in what may have happened on the plane.

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 09:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Harlequin

FMCH 292200Z 18022G33KT 9999 FEW020 24/17 Q1018 NOSIG=
FMCH 292300Z 21025G35KT 9999 FEW020 25/16 Q1017 TEMPO 18015G30KT=
FMCH 300000Z 21025G35KT 9999 FEW020 25/17 Q1016 TEMPO 19014KT=
FMCH 300100Z 16010KT 9999 FEW020 25/13 Q1016 NOSIG=
FMCH 300200Z 18015KT 9999 FEW020 24/15 Q1016 NOSIG=
FMCH 300300Z 24007KT 9999 FEW020 23/14 Q1017 TEMPO
20017KT=

Just in case Harlequin didn't have time to translate:

'FMCH' = ICAO (Int'l Civil Aviation Org) Airport Code (slang for ICAO is 'eye-kay-O')

'292200Z' refers to the 29th day of the month @ 2200Zulu (UTC)

'18022G33KT' is wind from 180 degrees magnetic @ 22knots Gusting to 33 knots.

'9999' means visibility is unlimited

'FEW020' means 'Few clouds (scattered) at 2000 feet' (AGL)

'24/17' is the temperature/dewpoint in degrees Celsius.

'Q1018 ' is the altimeter setting...this is set in the barometric setting window to correct for non-standard atmospheric pressure. (Standard sea-level pressure is 10.13 millibars. "Q" is short for 'QNH', which means it is correcting for sea level, as opposed to 'QFE' which is rarely used, but that is a setting so that the airplane altimeter will read 'ZERO' at the field elevation)

'NOSIG' = no significant changes since last report.

[edit on 6/30/0909 by weedwhacker]

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Harlequin, the avherald link you showed said they were landing on R/W 20?

That would not be a tailwind.

Question is, why did they go around the first time? Not sure of the terrain (never been there) but from the topographical depiction on the Approach Plate (too bad it's in French!!) there is what looks like a huge mountain (volcano?) that certainly could produce wicked turbulence when thre's a south wind. Add the gusts, and poor piloting skills.....AND at night!!!!

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 10:36 AM
link   
my apolgise - your right and im wrong , been such a busy day i just rgabbed it and posted;

i have some info that ZO-AJD has been banned from french airspace for failing an A check with `serious` and `dangerous` faults.

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 10:45 AM
link   

...ZO-AJD has been banned from french airspace for failing an A check with `serious` and `dangerous` faults.

That IS interesting, since a 'A' check is virtually superficial in nature. Will be tuned to this one, to see if there are causal mechanical factors.

However, I'm going out on a limb and predict spatial disorientation (night, right turn after go-around towards dark ocean, no visible horizon...turbulence...and poor CRM skills in the cockpit).

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 10:48 AM
link   
from the SAA directive that says this is a daylight only runway for them , i would have to agree - micro bursts on final`s , and lack of lighting from all accounts (the pprune black hole comments) would mean sadly i would have to agree - night time , a bit of buffeting , seems like it flew into the sea.

edit:

edition.cnn.com...

"The company was not on the blacklist (of airlines banned from European airspace) but was being subjected to closer inspection by us and was due to soon be heard by the security committee of the European Union," Bussereau said.

The Airbus A310 was inspected in France in 2007 by the French civil aviation authority and "a certain number of faults had been noted."

"The plane had not since then reappeared in our country," he added.

as mentioned , it was a ramp check (do they still do a B check? thought it was A check and dailies till the C came up)

[edit on 30/6/09 by Harlequin]

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Solar wind has been steady at around 400km/s since sunday (when the spike levelled off and I think the density came down from 40p/cc or something in a staircase fashion.)

More EM spikes to come, folks. Started this thread on Friday:

Earth being hit with charged particles - what do *you* see?

Edit to note: AF477 went down around the time of an extrasolar burst the cause of which I am not sure of:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/10c4ff61c1d1.jpg[/atsimg]

[edit on 30-6-2009 by brokenheadphonez]

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 11:06 AM
link   

as mentioned , it was a ramp check (do they still do a B check? thought it was A check and dailies till the C came up)

Yes, in the States I think the 'B' Check has gone the way of the Dodo. Computerization of records, etc....

I never knew the actual requirement, as in, cycles and/or time...but just noted the logbook pages, and the sign-offs. Mostly 'A' checks, of course, because they, like dailies, are done on the ramp. 'C' and 'D' are, of course, more major and accomplished in the hangars.

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 11:09 AM
link   
reply to post by brokenheadphonez

brokenhead....I really doubt very much the Sun had anything to do with this. You DO know it occured at just past Midnight, local time??

AND they were no more than, say, 2000 or 3000 above the ground. (Airport is at Sea Level)

Good thinking outside the box, though.

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 11:17 AM
link   
I think the words "Yemeni Airlines" provide enough clues as to the likely cause.

Start checking maintenance records at the home base airport, Chinese spare parts and arab maintenance techs do not a good combination make.

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Interesting comments coming out from those who have used this plane from there is the past,

They are saying that this plane was like sitting in a truck! Such things as Seat belts not on all the chairs, Seat that are not held to the floor properly,

There is rising anger from those who have traveled via this flight,
With many stating that this was an "Accident waiting to happen"

Its believed that Complaints had been made to French authorities only last week about the condition of the plane as Yemeni operator's "rubbish" aircraft and poor security.

Comoros is said to have accused the Yemenia airline of low standards.

A protest was to take place at the very airport of the doomed plane on Aug 11th rallied by organisations unhappy with the Air craft standards,

[edit on 30-6-2009 by asala]

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 11:20 AM
link   
reply to post by NovusOrdoMundi

The lack of news coverage on this IS really strange. It seems like CNN's page is trying to highlight everything BUT this story. Heck, right now they are profiling the "storybook romance" of two people who died in last week's DC Metro crash. How is that the top story of the day? Even Drudge has it bumped for a headline about Obama's "dirty looks."

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by weedwhacker

brokenhead....I really doubt very much the Sun had anything to do with this. You DO know it occured at just past Midnight, local time??

AND they were no more than, say, 2000 or 3000 above the ground. (Airport is at Sea Level)

Good thinking outside the box, though.

Yessir, I just wanted to point out the spike around the time of AF447 for all the wingheads. (Notice the COMPLETE lack of temp data? Isn't that like, physically impossible? Overloaded sensor? Whatever that spike was, it doesn't seem to be solar.)

I just skimmed the thread, but judging by the discussion I lean towards approach/maintenance issues for this, whatever - I'm sure you guys will dissect this one.

[edit on 30-6-2009 by brokenheadphonez]

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 11:28 AM
link   
reply to post by asala

You'd be appalled by how many Third World airlines don't comply with ICAO standards of safety.

Naturally, those Operators and their airplanes aren't allowed into Countries that take safety seriously.

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 12:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Jessicamsa

Yes, and there will be more of them and more often.

Even small planes are going down, they are dropping like flies.
i'm sure there is just alot of planes in bad shape, nothing more than that.

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 12:26 PM
link   

EMP is NOT to joke about, and if these can black out half continents, I'm sure they can knock out the power in a plane, regardless of altitudes..

The light do go around the earth, that is how we see aurora on the night side of the earth...

Do you have more spikes maybe related to other plane crashes ?
Could be fun to see if it could be the case...

Just to speculate .. !!!

[edit on 30-6-2009 by ChemBreather]

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by ChemBreather

EMP is NOT to joke about, and if these can black out half continents, I'm sure they can knock out the power in a plane, regardless of altitudes..

Me too. The solar (or extrasolar) energies have interesting effects:

They send energies in to the poles which modify the terrestrial magnetic field. and send charged particles into the atmosphere.

Also, the heat/energy tends to evaporate water, increasing atmospheric conductivity.

So I believe that the plane could act as a, for lack of a better term "ground" or the metallic structure of an airplane could possibly provide a "magnet" or something for these energies.

I have no other data regarding general aviation, and the link between the possible GRB and AF477 is tenuous at best. I mean, even if it WAS lightning, that could be influenced by GRB.

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by SG-1-9er
See if you actually checked you would of known that the flight originated from Paris, you would also know that "Most of the passengers are French or from the Comoros".

See if you actually checked time stamps of my posts and read the older versions of this story - you know, the ones that immediately followed the crash and did not contain many details - you could have known that the initial belief was that the flight originated from Yemen.

So logically, if the flight had originated from Yemen and was flying to Comoros, one is going to assume that many on board are Arab Muslims considering people from Yemen have Arab origins and people from Comoros have African-Arab origins, while both share Islam as the dominant religion.

But you already know that because you checked your facts, right?

Originally posted by SG-1-9er
Your theory isn't looking to good, your no better than a racist when you make comments like that.

It wasn't a theory. It was an observation of a lack of replies on ATS and the celebrity driven headlines on American media websites. If you weren't so quick to attack me with a response you could have very easily constructed in a mature manner, you would have gotten the true point of my post, and you would have seen there is nothing racist about it.

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
reply to post by elevatedone

Hopefully they aren't too far out to offer some support. I wonder what the cause of this one will be. Another lightning strike?

~Keeper

www.abovetopsecret.com...

WTF is going on? Geomagnetic storms?

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 04:29 PM
link   
reply to post by CapsFan8

WTF is going on? Geomagnetic storms?

No, Caps...and tothetenth....

The weather was perfectly clear, so no lightning.

GeoMagnetism will not reach down to 3000 feet above the sea....if it did, we'd all be fried!!!! (Or at least, all of our video tapes might get erased...
)

Ed: Suggest you review comments in thread...

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join