It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do 6 Out of 10 Americans Really Not Believe In Evolution?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 06:46 PM
link   
I don't know, but I can be reasonably assured that if I left a sink full of dirty dishes in dish water for upwards of six months (or even 600 million years) the only thing it would spawn would be an unbearable stench.

The thought of a random pool of chemicals that can be found in a toy chemistry set producing anything relatively close to me in time is pretty far-fetched. And yes I do know that the argument is various amino acids and other compounds, but it is all chemistry after all if you take it to base components.

Either way, I do not think "life" has been created in any lab without some sort of outside contamination or influence as of yet. And I think that Darwin also shared those views as well. Just that years of misinterpretation has brought about the idea of absolute evolution. Which is quite different than Darwin's Theory of successful mutations of a species that produced reproducible offspring that dominated (or struck a balance) with competition is why we have a diverse catalog of flora and fauna.

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by danielsil18
I don't buy into the "We are accidents made by chance". I do however believe that there is some type of evolution.

Example:

If one day everyone decides to stay awake at night and sleep at day then Humans will adapt and have eyes like Owls. But I don't believe how scientists say that minerals "accidently" mixed each other and created a living thing with a soul (OBE), I think God did that.

I'm no expert, but I'm almost completely certain it doesn't work this way.

What created the big bang?

We might never know in this lifetime

The Big Bang was an event, not a thing. The "universe" is a thing, I suppose, and the big bang is the science of the infancy of it. What did the universe do when it was a baby? The big bang answers questions like this to varying degrees.

What caused the big bang? Nobody knows. Maybe if you become a scientist, you can hope to answer that one day -- even name the theory after yourself
. What more motivation do you need to become a scientist than to name the birth of creation after yourself?
(In actuality it would probably never be named after its discoverer, baring extraordinary circumstances)

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 06:54 PM
link   
6 out of 10 Americans is quite a worrying statistic for a well accepted theory. But you have to wonder where they get these numbers from. I remember seeing somewhere that 45% of british people believe in God. I found that number to be simply staggering. Nearly half? I can tell you that where I live there are very few religious people. I've never met any. Well none that I know of.

I don't ever remember learning about evolution in my school. I don't really remember learning anything now that I think about it. But evolution seems to be accepted by nearly everyone.

It might be nice to have some chistian fanatics running about the place so I could have a proper face to face debate with them. America, here I come.

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by System
It might be nice to have some chistian fanatics running about the place so I could have a proper face to face debate with them. America, here I come.

Debate never seems to work, because the anti-evolution position isn't based on facts or evidence, and therefore, can not be refuted with facts and evidence.

It's a bit like debating "apples and oranges." One side has a whole different set of criteria for what constitutes proof and sound logic.

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by bl4ke360
reply to post by Solomons

That doesn't explain what made us conscious in our body. The question is, why are we alive in the body we are in? What kept us from being born into someone else's body? Consciousness can't just come from nowhere, just like life. That's why souls are the more plausible answer for consciousness.

I wish i could reply to this,because i want to...but it doesn't make any sense,could you possibly rephrase it?

ok i think i see what you are getting at *i think* which begs the question...memory loss? have you ever seen a person with complete memory loss,a blank slate? due to head trauma ie the brain receiving damage? you are only you because of memories and past/present experiences...take that away and you would not exist.I have personally seen it first hand,trust me when i say that everything you *think* you are is contained inbetween your ears and nowhere else.

[edit on 29-6-2009 by Solomons]

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Why is it always: Creationism Vs. Evolution?

The two are NOT mutually exclusive.

Example: If the creator wanted an oak tree, did he simply "poof", and there suddenly was a mature, beautiful, giant oak tree?

Or, did he plant an acorn?

Either way, it's his creation. Intelligent design.

You certainly can (simultaneously) believe both.

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Kaytagg, you seem very convinced in your belief and that is great for you. This poll doesn't surprise me and despite what you think evolution in its entirety is not a fact. Having said that, I do believe evolution exists in some degrees.

I think part of the problem is its relationship to abiogenesis which should really be the main contender to creationism. It is possible for Creation(ism) to have happened and for evolution to have played the part following, but not by biblical time lines.

There now exists more than 2 explanations for our origins, and I expect that other explanations beyond these may gain some ground. There is no definitive absolute proof for any explanation/theory of creation and until then, no one should be ostracized for their personal belief.

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 07:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Kaytagg

The Big Bang was an event, not a thing

I meant what created the ball of matter.

What cause the Big Bang?

That's another question I should've asked too.

If I become a scientist I'll try to discover spiritual things.

Our science is too materialistic. There has to be a balance.

If you see a ghost then science will say that your brain is playing tricks to you instead of trying to discover if ghosts are indeed real.

I also don't think that scientist will find out what cause the big bang in our lifetime. I think our science is not even good enough to even prove ghosts are real.

Right now we only have beliefs based on theories.

But I believe the creator caused it (my belief).

I'm no expert, but I'm almost completely certain it doesn't work this way.

It was just an example so people can understand my point.

[edit on 29-6-2009 by danielsil18]

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 07:19 PM
link   
reply to post by danielsil18

Science is suppose to be materialistic. It doesn't work if you try to go about scientifically proving things which can't be measured, studied, quantified, etc.

That's the whole point. Without science, we'd still be burning witches at the steak for making the rains not come -- and who's to say burning people whom you perceive to be witches (or evil demons, the antichrist, satan, etc) won't make the rains come back? Without the scientific method, this is the kind of society we would be trapped in. Just a bunch of know-nothings who go about their lives practicing random superstitious rituals as a way to make things go there way.

Ya know, now that I think about it, we already have a society of people who do that.. Good grief. I'm surprised our species has lasted this long, and sort of question my belief in the practicality of a functioning democracy.

[edit on 29-6-2009 by Kaytagg]

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 07:31 PM
link   
What I've heard before is Creationists claiming God is responsible for everything because scientists can't explain it. Like the Big Bang for example. But there is nothing wrong with not knowing. We're still learning. Given enough time science can and will understand the universe.

To me it seems like Creationists are afraid of the unknown and make up wild stories to comfort themselves. Claiming God done something because we don't know what really happened is the easy way out. You don't need to put any thought into it.

I'm proud to say I don't know how the universe was created.

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 07:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Kaytagg

Science is suppose to be materialistic

I also think it should be materialistic but not to an extreme. I think it should be balanced

An extreme of anything is bad.

It doesn't work if you try to go about scientifically proving things which can't be measured, studied, quantified, etc.

That's why I think scientists should start creating machines that can do that.

Without science, we'd still be burning witches at the steak for making the rains not come

I think science is truly important for everything but I also think spiritualism is as important as science.

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 07:34 PM
link   
I believe in it. So let's find three others who do, and six that don't. Repeat that a few thousand times and we'll know for sure.

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 07:40 PM
link   
GAH!
no scientist claims evolution is random. or accidental.

there IS evidence for evolution. it is one of the best supported scientific theories.

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 07:40 PM
link   
reply to post by System

Like the Big Bang for example. But there is nothing wrong with not knowing.

I agree with you, there are some people say that God did something when science can't prove it.

We're still learning. Given enough time science can and will understand the universe.

I think that when we reach the knowledge of how the Big Bang was truly caused then our science will find out that there is a creator.

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 07:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by poedxsoldiervet

Originally posted by yenko13
God made us -- creation -- we leard to adapt --- Evolution

What are the polls on that ??

Thats two of us.....Where ever there is creation there is a creator in some way, shape, or form.

youre assuming that there was creation.

theres stuff, but that doesnt prove it was created or designed. it just proves that it exists in the most common use of the word exists

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 07:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by ravenshadow13
I believe in it. So let's find three others who do, and six that don't. Repeat that a few thousand times and we'll know for sure.

I've actually been keeping count from the start

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 07:54 PM
link   
I don't know.
Did they ask every American? If not then the statistic, like all stats is silly.

[edit on 29-6-2009 by and14263]

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 08:02 PM
link   
reply to post by and14263

Luckily you don't actually have to ask every single person. All you have to do is take an appropriate sample, and through the magic of mathematics, it works out (with an arbitrary margin of error).

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 08:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Christian Voice

What's wrong with youtube? Would it have made any difference if that video was uploaded somewhere else? It's the content of the video that matters, not the website it's uploaded to.

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 09:07 PM
link   
Approximately 77% of Americans are Christian, then you have other religions which make up roughly 82% of America combined....According to the polls.

So I would say that most Americans believe in Creationism over evolution....that is according to these lame and inaccurate polls they always feel so compelled to flap their gums about.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join