It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do 6 Out of 10 Americans Really Not Believe In Evolution?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 05:52 PM
link   
February marked the 200th anniversary of Charles Darwin, and to my chagrin, a quick google search reveals that only 4 in 10 Americans believe in evolution. This startles me greatly, as evolution is a well established theory (some of you don't know what a theory is, and that's part of the problem) that's been kicking around for quite some time now. It's no less understood or observed than the theory of gravity, and yet we have a majority of Americans who either say it's false, or don't know if it's valid. How does hard science, with abundant data, get categorically rejected by so many people? Is the American mindset really this bizarre? If so, how can you count on them to make informed decisions about anything, when they can't even inform themselves about basic facts of science in the 21st century?

The way I see this attitude is "Reject what nature proves to be true, Insert what I WISH to be true." And sadly, I see that sort of mindset in more than just the evolution debate!

Edit: Oops, got the title wrong. Should read "6 out of 10"

[edit on 29-6-2009 by Kaytagg]

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 05:55 PM
link   
I *used* to think americans were that stupid,but these days i think polls among other things are intentionally manipulated in a certain way to make the rest of the world think Americans are dumb,reality tv watching,clueless idiots.I sincerely believe there is an agenda behind it all...to what end i dont know,but there is certainly something going on,and if there was a *real* poll i believe the results would be dramatically different.

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 05:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Solomons

I WISH that were true

Too bad wishing don't make it so

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 05:58 PM
link   
I'm 50/50 on the topic. I don't believe evolution the way it is presented, and I don't believe in a literal 7 earth day creation either.

I think evolution does happen, and survival of the fittest as well. But I am also pretty sure there is a consciousness behind it and that it's not just "random mutations" or a "random universe" that "randomly formed" for not apparent reason. Random is impossible in action and reaction.

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 06:00 PM
link   
reply to post by badmedia

Evolution is not random...a mistake many people make so i wont hold it against you.

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 06:00 PM
link   
God made us -- creation -- we leard to adapt --- Evolution

What are the polls on that ??

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 06:09 PM
link   
reply to post by yenko13

There is no scientific evidence of a gods having a hand in our creation, or any other animal's creation.

Kinda makes me wonder where you're getting your facts from, other than just wishing that were the case.

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 06:15 PM
link   
There still has to be something that causes consciousness, because what's the reason you're born into your current body, than some other body? Souls can be an obvious explanation for that, and evolution doesn't explain what makes us conscious and how we were born into our body.

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 06:18 PM
link   
reply to post by yenko13

God made us -- creation

Sorry yenko, can't buy that.

For just one obvious reason: It's too selfish. And it reeks of smugness. There are bigger words to describe the syndrome, but in simple terms, it assumes (incorrectly) that we (Humans) are oh, so important --- we're not.

We're little more than brainy, naked apes.

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 06:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by yenko13

I believe that is called "Inteligent Design".

To quote AC-DC "If you weren't there when they made you , then who's begun to know? well, who made who?"

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 06:22 PM
link   
reply to post by bl4ke360

Consciousness only feels special because we have it...there are many other traits we among other primates have that somehow do not come up on the *special* radar.Although people may like to think of being conscious ie the realization of self is special...it really isn't.It is simply like many other things the product of evolution which has helped us immensly as a species.Sure it is a complex and baffling trait,but that by no means distinguishes itself from any other trait we have.

link   
first it was 4 out of 10 now its 6 out of ten. what happened did an entire country just say they didnt believe in evolution.
grain of salt...

link   

Thats two of us.....Where ever there is creation there is a creator in some way, shape, or form.

link   

Thats two of us.....Where ever there is creation there is a creator in some way, shape, or form.

link   
reply to post by Kaytagg

Nor is there scientific evidence that proves evolution. When you break down the supposed evidence,,, none of it holds water. To me it seems to take far more faith to believe in a crock like evolution and all of it's coincidences and happenings than to believe in a creator.

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by SchefSalad
first it was 4 out of 10 now its 6 out of ten. what happened did an entire country just say they didnt believe in evolution.
grain of salt...

No, I simply posted the wrong title. Read the link for more info -- there's actually a lot of data on that poll, like education level vs belief, church attendance vs belief, and how age plays a factor.

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 06:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Christian Voice

Here, take your head out of the sand and learn...

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 06:38 PM
link   
I don't buy into the "We are accidents made by chance". I do however believe that there is some type of evolution.

Example:

If one day everyone decides to stay awake at night and sleep at day then Humans will adapt and have eyes like Owls. But I don't believe how scientists say that minerals "accidently" mixed each other and created a living thing with a soul (OBE), I think God did that.

I also believe that Aliens exist. If they do exist then what would be the chances that we and they were "accidently" created?

Of course I don't have any proof except OBEs. But after all it's only my belief from my research.

But I would also like to ask a question:

What created the big bang?

We might never know in this lifetime

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 06:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Solomons

That doesn't explain what made us conscious in our body. The question is, why are we alive in the body we are in? What kept us from being born into someone else's body? Consciousness can't just come from nowhere, just like life. That's why souls are the more plausible answer for consciousness.

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 06:39 PM
link   
reply to post by weedwhacker

Oh my goodness, please tell me that the cornerstone of your whole belief system is a youtube video. An obviously biased youtube video at that. You just subtracted a thousand points from your arguement by using a youtube video.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join