It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is SETI destined for failure in some aspects?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 05:32 PM
link   
This is just something I have been thinking about lately and I would like some input or guidance on the subject. Also note, this is assuming that they (intelligent life)are not looking for us. Maybe I'm looking at the thing all wrong
If this confuses anyone or makes no sense, please disregard

This is in regards to SETI's practices while looking for radio waves / signatures, Optical SETI sounds like a winner

I've been thinking about this more and more since I read an article involving our transition to DTV and overall advances in the way we communicate with each other. Space.com -- Aliens Lose in Switch to Digital TV . The part that got me thinking is as follows:

It's not impossible to pick up our DTV broadcasts from your favorite M-class planet, but I reckon it would require antennas at least five times larger than demanded for good, old analog TV. ET may balk at the additional cost. Of course, this tale becomes more woeful in a few decades, when high-powered TV broadcasting is replaced entirely – when your favorite reality show enters the living room via cable, optical fiber, or pipsqueak-power wi-fi.

Already, our methods of transmitting data are improving, as was discussed at length here on ATS: Australian scientists may have worked out the mystery of teleportation

Now, about SETI:

SETI, the Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence, is an exploratory science that seeks evidence of life in the universe by looking for some signature of its technology.
From The Center for SETI Research

Whilst processing all of this (and getting a headache), it made me wonder about a few things.

- SETI is searching for other technological civilizations by detecting radio waves (amongst other things).

- Assuming that other civilizations are just as advanced, or even more than us, their lack of radio waves or other inadvertent signals would be higher right? They could already be using tech that is foreign to us, thus ensuring, maybe inadvertently, that their radio, or even light signatures stay within their environment. Again this is assuming that they have made the same strides as us.

- If these civilizations were at one time broadcasting some sort of radio wave during the history of their existence, wouldn't the odds of us catching it be limited? Considering the amount of time it would take to reach us? Perhaps we have already missed it? Or is SETI planning on continuous monitoring?

- At the same time, maybe a civilization has had this same thought and quit "listening" for us or "missed" a while back?

I know, some of this might sound nonsensical. Nonetheless it's something that has been on my mind for a while and if someone could give me their view, that'd be awesome!

[edit on 29-6-2009 by Juston]

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 06:00 PM
link   
I believe they will ultimately fail for reasons arising from the possibilites surrounding 'technological singularity.' I submit a detailed hypothesis here:

There is no intergalactic community

I believe all intelligent species reaching the crucial level in their development, the singularity (technological progress reaching exponential speeds in development), actually rather than colonizing space, gain the ability to leave the 3-dimensional universe altogether.

Our perceived absence of intelligent life in this universe is true, because they've moved to exist in other states of being - meaning other, or higher dimensions.

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 06:10 PM
link   
Its doomed before it begins.
Because if they got something along comes Mr Air Force and says "Classified".
And they can not release it or be sent to jail.
So until this issue is resolved with UFO's and ET's being classified as Dick Cheney once clearly stated.
Then no one can disclose or release anything without the military's say so.
Because they would be arrested even if they tried.

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Okay, so assuming that there is life outside of what we know, and the Gov't didn't try to hide the truth, would the whole radiowave thing be pointless?

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 08:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Juston

The whole radiowave thing is indeed pointless. Attempts at communication utilizing radio waves represent a miniscule section of a society's timeline and would only even be attempted prior to a 'Singularity' transformation.

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 09:02 PM
link   
The major flaw in SETI is that they put all their apples into one basket.

They gambled the house on ET's using radio waves.

In our current state of civilization I can see why, however they should have hired a futurist or someone similar to formulate possible alternative modes of communications such as telepathy, plasma, laser, quantum mechanically, or who knows what, crystals, vibrations, could be anything really

did they just pick the easiest that they could monitor with the tools they had available? of course.

Of course radio waves could work but out of whatever number of civs are out there, what percentage are going to be near our level of tech and use the same methods that we do? I think it would reduce the overall number of detectable civs by quite alot.

I do think SETI is cool though and it's nice to see that there is an effort being made to find ET's (although we on ATS know they are closer than most think)

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 09:13 PM
link   
reply to post by warrenb

I too think SETI is pretty cool. In fact, I've been donating to them for almost ten years now. But like you said it would have helped if they would have thought about the future a little bit. Oh well, at least they are messing around with optical SETI now.

[edit on 29-6-2009 by Juston]

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 06:02 AM
link   
SETI most likely will not find civilizations through radio waves because the most likely place in our galaxy for life to form is inside the plasma sheath of a brown dwarf star. A planet orbiting inside such a plasma sheath would be bathed in red light, misted with water, and have unending daylight on all sides of the planet.

Brown dwarfs may also be some of the most ubiquitous objects in the universe.

Radio waves and visible light can not penetrate the plasma sheath of a brown dwarf, unlike our Sun's heliosphere which is invisible to the naked eye. This means no radio or light gets in, nor does it get out.

For a civilization growing up inside the plasma sheath of a brown dwarf, they would not be consciously aware that a greater universe exists for them to explore.

Even in todays age, we would think that the sun is the center of the universe if we were not able to see beyond the heliopause of the Sun. There would be no indication that a greater universe existed and that we should endevor to look for life beyond.

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 06:31 AM
link   
I don't remember the name of the PBS show but I remember watching this thing on SETI... I remember one of the people interviewed stated SETI was established because they had already found a radio signal from another civilization... I couldn't say where but they did say it came from an unlikely point in space then explained it with a nifty graphic showing two space ships passing and claimed that signal was most likely a communication between them and not beamed at us...

Today I'll goggle up "PBS SETI" and see if I can find the segment for you...

I stil havent found the show I was looking for but you might want to check out this video I posted on SETI's first reported contact
www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 5-7-2009 by DaddyBare]

top topics

join