It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

two complains about the board(s) :

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2004 @ 05:23 PM
link   
I'm sorry, I wont use the complain form because I dont like this principle in fact. And also I need to know the experiences of the others members.

This is it :

1- The boolean search engine dont work.

I prefered the simple search engine we had on ATS-1. I have some problems to understand the meaning of all the functions of the engine. I've tryied for hours to find some old threads on ATS, and I always get the same result : Nothing. Sometimes I have a link wth the result of my search that I can bookmark, but with any match finded.
I've tryied to find, for exemple, the thread "An emotional issue". I tried with [REQ] emotional [REQ]issue, I tryied [REQ]anemotionalissue, I even tryied [REQ]an [REQ]emotional [REQ]issue... Nothing !

William, or some esle, can you enlight me on the correct syntaxt and methodology to use with the ATS-SE ?

(Maybe you can make an entry in a the FAQ : "How to use the bolean search engine" ?)

2-Tired of double login

I'm sorry, I'm never on the same computer, so I dont have the ATS cookie always on my computer. Anyway, I systematically delete cookies from the computers I use. I hate cookies !
Cookies are an "aberration" in computer security. Cookies come in your harddrive, take and send constantly and sysmatically informations about you. Cookies are responsibles of a major part of spamming and spywares on the web.

So eachtime I come on ATS, I got to log two time : One on ATS and one on BTS... and I've choosen a long nickname (for the nickname, ok, it's me who is stupid).
Can you make a single log ? This would be soooooooooo coooooooooooooooooool !

Thanks,

Nans

[Edited on 5-5-2004 by Nans DESMICHELS]

[Edited on 5-5-2004 by Nans DESMICHELS]

posted on May, 5 2004 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Hi Nans.

Sorry to hear things are not working for you!

I can't comment on the search engine, as I've only used it a couple of times very lightly and I managed to find the page I needed, but I have to admit that it is perhaps not immediately obvious, I just ignored most of the controls. So if it works properly, I could not say.

>>Cookies are responsibles of a major part of spamming and spywares on the web.

I'd generally disagree with this statement. It is true that cookies can be used as trackers, but they are not the cause of spam or spywarez. Cookies are not evil or bad,especially as they stop me from having to log in every time

Spam is usually gathered by data-mining and spywarez are caused by people opening email attachments from people they don't know or downloading warez for the most part.

It must suck always switching computers for you, I can feel for that, as I'm often on different machines.

Sorry my reply doesn't solve any issues you have, perhaps someone more knowledgable than me will step in and save the day.

[Edited on 5-5-2004 by Zzub]

posted on May, 5 2004 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Just post your username and pasword here and when I see you on the board I will log you in

posted on May, 5 2004 @ 05:44 PM
link   
Nans you are unruly, You refuse to follow the directions.
I dont understand why you wont use the complaint form? Why air all your dirty landry?

There has been alot of discution about how to use the search function.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on May, 5 2004 @ 05:45 PM
link   
1- We've had lots of threads on this, and most members are starting to get how to use it. In your case, the reason the 'A very Emotional issue' thread did not come up is because it's in the trash, and you can't search in that forum. Boolean Search Threads: www.abovetopsecret.com... www.abovetopsecret.com... 2- You've been hoodwinked into believing what you believe about cookies. In any event, the core code of this board needs cookies to track your session from page to page. Also, the very nature of cookies, inherent security, requires two log-ins. This is because one domain cannot read another domain's cookies. So the ATS site cannot 'see' the BTS cookie and visa-versa.

posted on May, 5 2004 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
1- We've had lots of threads on this, and most members are starting to get how to use it. In your case, the reason the 'A very Emotional issue' thread did not come up is because it's in the trash, and you can't search in that forum.
Boolean Search Threads:

2- You've been hoodwinked into believing what you believe about cookies. In any event, the core code of this board needs cookies to track your session from page to page. Also, the very nature of cookies, inherent security, requires two log-ins. This is because one domain cannot read another domain's cookies. So the ATS site cannot 'see' the BTS cookie and visa-versa.

ooh the abortion topic got a bit out of hand, SO? and I *tried* cooling it off a bit with my brief online-personality adjustment...oh wait.. im thinking of the wrong topic. oopsie-daisy!

i dont care much for the new boolean search either, but hey... that's life: analyze and adapt. things change all the time, so sometimes you have to change along with it.

[Edited on 5/5/2004 by AlnilamOmega]

posted on May, 5 2004 @ 06:00 PM
link   
1. Nans, sorry you're having such a hard time. With practice, the Boolean search becomes easier, and probably more accurate. Just as many other things, you need to use it a few time to get used to it.

2. IE and Opera have functions built to repeat commonly used words. On IE, the prompy usually comes up after you type the first letter. I'm sure a cookie sets it, though.
In Opera, in prefereences, you can fill in commonly used names to fill in. Again, once you type the first letter, it will prompt the whole word or phrase.
HTH

BTW, I guess we won't have to worry about your blog, eh? That will require another password, besides another log in....

posted on May, 5 2004 @ 06:02 PM
link   
Thanks for these precisions.

I was joking for cookies, but you know what it is with windows cleaning .temp files.

posted on May, 5 2004 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Nans, If you do ever have concerns about spy cookies on your computer, I wouldrecommend regular use of "Spybot-dearch and destroy" and Adaware. These two will clean your HDD of known tracking cookies and spyware.

Much better than relying on Windows to clean up!

posted on May, 5 2004 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Personally, one can always use gOOgle.....

Mighty fine search engine for locating threads within ATS....eh, you didn't hear that from me though.

seekerof

posted on May, 5 2004 @ 06:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zzub
Nans, If you do ever have concerns about spy cookies on your computer, I wouldrecommend regular use of "Spybot-dearch and destroy" and Adaware. These two will clean your HDD of known tracking cookies and spyware.

Actually...I like SpySweeper better for cookies...it actually stops the bad cookies from being created...also it stops Adware and Spyware from installing in the fisrt place...its great

I also dont care for the Boolean Search.

posted on May, 5 2004 @ 06:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zzub

Actually, I prefer Spybot and Spyware Blaster.

I found adaware a pain to use.

top topics

join