It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Wants Your Light Bulbs

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Obama Announces New Energy Standards for Lighting

WASHINGTON -- Aiming to keep the focus on climate change legislation, President Barack Obama put a plug in for administration efforts to make lamps and lighting equipment use less energy.

The president also said he was speeding the delivery of $346 million in economic stimulus money to help improve energy efficiency in new and existing commercial buildings.

The White House is working to keep energy in the spotlight even as Congress takes a break this week for the July 4 holiday. Obama has spent the past few days pressuring the Senate to follow the House while also seeking to show that the administration is making quick, clear progress on energy reform without legislation.

Hey Mr. President, Make sure that you don't break any of those CFL's you are hawking. I would hate to send HAZMAT to the White House.

Nanny Obama, how is this helping the economy?? I have changed practically all of my light bulbs in the house to CFL's within the past year and my electric bills are no less and actually higher than they were with regular bulbs. Any savings realized by switching bulbs will be gobbled up with higher rates to make up the difference.

www.foxnews.com...

[edit on 29-6-2009 by jibeho]

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Nice payback for General Electric who supported Obama's campaign and election.

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 02:05 PM
link   
Yep the so called low energy bulbs do nothing to the power bill.
Here I used to be able to get like 50 packs of regular light bulbs.
Now, I cant get them.
The shop doesn't have them.
They have individual regular light bulbs for higher prices than low energy bulbs.
They are pricing them out of the market.
I can get the fluorescent energy efficient ones for $2.50 each in packs that last 6 months.
Or pay 2.99 per regular light bulb that lasts 2 months.
They are pushing this rubbish globally.

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

Well I would be more than glad to give Obama all the lightbulbs in my house, as long as he promises to shove them straight up his ...

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 02:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Walkswithfish

BINGO!!!

Better yet. 85% of the CFL bulbs manufactured are made in China. China is exempt from Kyoto and is slated to build 500 coal plants within the next 10 years. That is one new coal plant every 4 days. Hmmmm. Lets clean up the air in the Obamasphere and dirty it up everywhere else. This must be how we are going to pay China back for financing our debt.

God forbid Obama build clean coal plants in the US to put people to work and to stabilize local economies and lower energy rates during these difficult economic times.

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 02:16 PM
link   
...and you know that most people will not dispose of the CFL's in the proper manner. If every bulb in the U.S. was a CFL bulb, that would mean a lot more mercury in our landfills, and eventually in our soil.

Until a CFL is developed that does not include mercury, I would not consider them truly environmentally friendly.

[edit on 6/29/2009 by Soylent Green Is People]

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 02:17 PM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

I just thought I was going nuts. I too changed to those cork screw flourescent bulbs. My bill went up! The price per KW usage remained the same.I just used more electricity.
Must be some sort of scam brewing here. Maybe the flourine in the bulbs affects us like flouride in the water does. Just a thought to throw out there.

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by jibeho
reply to post by Walkswithfish

BINGO!!!

Better yet. 85% of the CFL bulbs manufactured are made in China. China is exempt from Kyoto and is slated to build 500 coal plants within the next 10 years. That is one new coal plant every 4 days. Hmmmm. Lets clean up the air in the Obamasphere and dirty it up everywhere else. This must be how we are going to pay China back for financing our debt.

God forbid Obama build clean coal plants in the US to put people to work and to stabilize local economies and lower energy rates during these difficult economic times.

Obama expects us to look for the silver lining. Maybe we could all become coal miners and export the coal to China!!! Become a colony again.Provide the raw materials to our manufacturing partner.

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 03:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Soylent Green Is People
...and you know that most people will not dispose of the CFL's in the proper manner. If every bulb in the U.S. was a CFL bulb, that would mean a lot more mercury in our landfills, and eventually in our soil.

Until a CFL is developed that does not include mercury, I would not consider them truly environmentally friendly.

[edit on 6/29/2009 by Soylent Green Is People]

CFL's are not good for applications where they will be turned on and off a lot, like a bathroom or a closet. (Unless you get constipated a lot) Fluorescents have to have mercury in them because the mercury is what produces the light. With no mercury they'll be no light. I love my incandescents, and I'm no light bulb bigot. I have tried CFL's, fluorescent tubes, metal halides, and high pressure sodiums. I still find incandescents have their place.

top topics

join