learn more

The Cove

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 07:59 AM
link   
reply to post by atlasastro

I wonder how many others there are that feel this way after looking at the OP?
you seen my post right. surly you don't think i was kidding.
i see it like this nobody would really miss that whole village. if they refuse
to wake up to the 21st century.people would miss the dolphins i would rather see that village exterminated
then to see this continue. and i am willimg to give this life over to that
statement and in defense of tthose dolphins. you know why?because they would do it for me or you or even one of those japs. we have a lot to learn.so lessons must be taught. i do not fear death and i believe when a man gets old enough he should welcome an honorable way to die.
i truly believe a man should die w/ honor.defending the planet ? honorable

i realize how crazy it sounds but people seem to only understand one thing
i just think they should understand by any means.
so green peace i'm able bodied smart and strong just need to hear from you? somebody hook me up. you will see. i'm not kidding.

[edit on 30-6-2009 by randyvs]

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 08:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by serbsta
I don't want to sound heartless, because i am not.

But if you are in any way opposed to the mass culling of dolphins, then you should never eat another hamburger or piece of steak in your life. Are you to tell me that cows cannot feel?

Although I do tend to agree with your statement; I have never seen nor heard of a group of cows encircling a human to protect them. I have on the other hand read of and seen dolphins do it 3 or 4 times.

I do not know how you feel about it, but to me this denotes intelligence on a level that a cow can not compete, and obviously some humans as well (that was not directed at you but instead the people whom kill these animals).

To demonstrate a concern for another life form is not something that is common throughout the animal kingdom, the only other animal that I know of that intervenes like that is a dog and to the best of my knowledge that only happens when the dog considers the human part of their pack structure such as with family members and owners.

The dolphins have no organizational attachment to the humans they intervene for. I can see no other way to interpret this other than a higher level of intellect.

Also we do not take too kindly to people killing the dogs either.

[edit on 6/30/2009 by DarrylGalasso]

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 10:24 AM
link   
Why are so many people saying that dolphins don't deserve this because they are intelligent animals? You really think that IQ should decide who lives and who dies?

Do sharks deserve to have their fins cut off for soup and then die a horrible, slow death? Just because they're less intelligent? (less intelligent according to human standards, their history of over 400 million years would disapprove)

The truth is that all creatures, regardless of their intelligence, deserve to live free and to die with dignity. Dolphins included.

(I'm in no way trying to put down this thread, S&F, it's very important that more people hear about this!)

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by elarmstrongo
Save the dolphins and whales, then tuna and haring, and in the end chickens and carrots. the part when Hayden comes out of the water in hysterics is laughable. It is like it was her child they had harvested. We are a species that eats meat and you must kill the animal or eat it alive. I am not trying to sound heartless, but it is part of life. Then there is the argument that the animal is poisoned and should not be eaten. I have not seen the movie but I find most of the claims of mercury poisoning suspicious. The FDA admits to some levels of toxins in almost all food. Bring the flames.

We can't save everything, for certain. There is no reason to kill animals that are proven to have high intelligence. None. I will not accept any arguments, so don't bother.

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 12:51 PM
link   
[edit on 30-6-2009 by AKNOWLEGE_ME]

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Wallachian:

Ya, one of the reasons I'm delaying watching this movie (I have it waiting) is in view of how horrifying the sight of those sharks being thrown back into the water after having their fins lopped off. There's the brutal reality of eating other creatures to survive, and then there's just plain cruel for profit.

It's one thing to argue that there is nothing immoral about eating everything that moves, what I find strange is how people seem to angrily defend the practice and mock other people for caring. Really? What is it exactly that makes you angry or indignant about people wanting to change practices that in reality we probably don't need to do anymore?

Yes, people are uneven in their views about nature, and sometimes react emotionally, but does calling them hypocrits really make you a better person? How is this a victory for you? Do you really fear that they will take away all the meat from you?

I eat meat even though I find the modern meat industry horrible, so I try to eat locally as we are lucky to have local producers, but not everyone can do this. I don't judge them for that.

I've lived in Japan, and I know that people there will relaxedly assure you that whales are delicious and there are tons of them in the oceans. I tried to give a differing view, but I certainly didn't berate them. They believe what they have been told, as we do. While I wouldn't eat whale, I did eat blowfish.

You see, there's a chance eating them will kill you, I call that a fair fight.

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by twilightzone

It is obviously hoprrendous, but I am not personally responsible for this so I'd rather you didn't wish death upon me.

If you are that concerned why are you still here?

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 03:34 PM
link   
great post SD, I had a hard time showing this to my friends without getting choked up, but it's not as bad as some vids i've seen.
The worst thing I've seen is when they injure a select few dolphins, and the rest of the pod will not leave the injured behind, and they start the slaughter...omgoodness, this is brutal stuff.

I will check out the sights provided to help stop this violence. thanks again for making more aware of this tragedy!

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by twilightzone

yeah I agree, you are a little overboard on that one. you do what you have to, but I choose to LIVE and fight the "good fight"

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Jesus i mean not to sound insensitive...but man, come on, of all the friggin things to get choked up about. I love animals as much as the next guy but i see horrors committed on children in the news everyday....id say in terms of the letting of tears...wouldn't a child trump an animal? I dont see a thread here dedicated to all the abused and killed kids...wanna make a change? then be like one of those jerky criminals that ram whaling boats and put human lives in danger everyday...OR legislate and wait YEARS for the Japanese to come around, these sickos are a whole nother issue and i could GO ON about the asian race and where they fit into everything

[SNIP]

Mod Note: Terms & Conditions Of Use – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 1-7-2009 by Gemwolf]

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 08:26 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 09:21 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 10:40 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 10:54 PM
link   
reply to post by jeddun

So what you are saying is that as a species we are not capable of walking and chewing gum at the same time??? Both are worthy of our attention, and I think we should be capable of multi tasking when it comes to confronting the woes in this world.

Edit to add- Threads about child abuse.

Threads about murdered children.

ATS search- It isn't just for breakfast anymore!

[edit on 30-6-2009 by JaxonRoberts]

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 06:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by jeddun
reply to post by Avarus

God no...this is not my opinion, nor do i beleive my race is better than others...look at the facts mang....i didnt make the rules up dood i just live here =)

I AM looking at the facts 'mang'. You can't just make sweeping statements like that about a country of people. First you call them 'japs', then you say that all Japanese people are perverse and celebrated pedophiles... and you don't think that's stereotyping at all? I know plenty of Japanese people who very conservative and traditional.

Secondly, I've read a few comments about Hiroshima and Nagasaki. In no way is nuking Japan a good thing. First of all, you're killing thousands if not millions of innocent people (not to mention animals). Secondly, you'd pollute the surrounding areas and waters with fallout. So, no... it's not a good thing to wish we nuked them even more.

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 08:19 AM
link   
SDog, I salute you. I have put a link to the trailer on my Facebook page.

Some people know my feelings on the mindless animal killing happening in this world, so I'm not going to go into that here.

But I don't understand how people can say "I'm happy with killing animals for meat, but not dolphins because they're really intelligent!!!". How should an animal's intelligence level dictate whether or not we should kill it?

Then there are the uneducated fools who think humans are a meat eating race, which is completely false. No flesh from a fellow animal should enter our mouths, we just don't need it, and neither do the poor defenseless creatures.

Going slightly off topic, but I will leave my post at this point. I will not return to argue with people about what is and isn't right, because some people seem too thick to receive the message.

Thank you, SDog.

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 04:36 PM
link   
reply to post by jeddun

hmm jeddum im responding to a specific topic...if you want to start a different one, ill come post there if it is well done, and deserves attention. and who are you to say that abused children dont cause greef??? very presumptuous.
but we arent talking about that...you are...

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 01:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Avarus
reply to post by schrodingers dog

Here's some interesting statistics and facts about livestock for to digest (pun intended):
Number of people worldwide who will die as a result of malnutrition this year: 20 million
Number of people who could be adequately fed using land freed if Americans reduced their intake of meat by 10%: 100 million
Percentage of corn grown in the US eaten by people: 20
Percentage of corn grown in the US eaten by livestock: 80
Percentage of oats grown in the US eaten by livestock: 95
Percentage of protein wasted by cycling grain through livestock: 90
How frequently a child dies as a result of malnutrition: every 2 point 3 seconds
Pounds of potatoes that can be grown on an acre: 40,000
Pounds of beef produced on an acre: 250
Percentage of US farmland devoted to beef production: 56
Pounds of grain and soybeans needed to produce a pound of edible flesh from feedlot beef: 16
User of more than half of all water used for all purposes in the US: livestock production
Amount of water used in production of the average cow: sufficient to float a destroyer
Gallons of water needed to produce a pound of wheat: 25
Gallons of water needed to produce a pound of California beef: 5,000
Years the world's known oil reserves would last if every human ate a meat-centered diet: 13
Years they would last if human beings no longer ate meat: 260
Calories of fossil fuel expended to get 1 calorie of protein from beef: 78
To get 1 calorie of protein from soybeans: 2
Percentage of all raw materials (base products of farming, forestry and mining, including fossil fuels) consumed by US that is devoted to the production of livestock: 33
Percentage of all raw materials consumed by the US needed to produce a complete vegetarian diet: 2
Number of US medical schools: 125
Number requiring a course in nutrition: 30
Nutrition training received by average US physician during four years in medical school: 2 point 5 hours
Most common cause of death in the US : heart attack
How frequently a heart attack kills in the US: every 45 seconds
Average US man's risk of death from heart attack: 50 percent
Risk of average US man who eats no meat: 15 percent
Risk of average US man who eats no meat, dairy or eggs: 4 percent
Amount you reduce risk of heart attack if you reduce consumption of meat, dairy and eggs by 10 percent: 9 percent
Amount you reduce risk of heart attack if you reduce consumption by 50 percent: 45 percent
Amount you reduce risk if you eliminate meat, dairy and eggs from your diet: 90 percent
Average cholesterol level of people eating meat-centered-diet: 210 mg/dl
Chance of dying from heart disease if you are male and your blood cholesterol level is 210 mg/dl: greater than 50 percent

Did you have a source or did you just pull this out of thin air? The dietary end of these statistics are hogwash. By the way, isn't this thread about dolphins?

Meat contains no essential nutrients that cannot be obtained in higher quality directly from plant sources.

Once again, source? Is there really a point to this? Choosing to be a vegetarian because you love animals is great but is the false information really called for?

-Dev

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 07:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by jeddun
Jesus i mean not to sound insensitive...but man, come on, of all the friggin things to get choked up about. I love animals as much as the next guy but i see horrors committed on children in the news everyday....id say in terms of the letting of tears...wouldn't a child trump an animal? I dont see a thread here dedicated to all the abused and killed kids...wanna make a change? then be like one of those jerky criminals that ram whaling boats and put human lives in danger everyday...OR legislate and wait YEARS for the Japanese to come around, these sickos are a whole nother issue and i could GO ON about the asian race and where they fit into everything

Do you know how child abuse laws came into existence in the United States?

In 1874 there was a young girl named Mary Ellen Wilson. She had been put up for adoption by her mother after her father died at around age 2. Her adoptive mother was very abusive to her and the neighbors often called authorities only to hear "There are no laws governing this." Finally one neighbor contacted Etta Wheeler a mission worker that in turn contacted Henry Bergh the president of ASPCA (The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals) after she couldn't get anyone in government to listen to her. This man used his influence and resources to get the case put in a court and the result was child protection laws.

[edit on 7/2/2009 by DarrylGalasso]

posted on Jul, 3 2009 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Wallachian

wanted to repeat this:

You really think that IQ should decide who lives and who dies?

Do sharks deserve to have their fins cut off for soup and then die a horrible, slow death? Just because they're less intelligent?

I agree - It's not about prioritizing - it's about coming to some kind of understanding about what torture and abuse really are

it's about our ability - or inability - to empathize

and what does it say about us either way?

I'm one of those people that believes that it's all about the process - these sorts of things were never discussed or debated at all once upon a time. I think it shows that even when we don't agree - we're at least moving in the right direction

we'll be kinder to each other right about the same time we all feel like being kinder in general - I reckon (I've been wanting to say I reckon all week)

it's a great thread SD - but I couldn't watch the videos - I just couldn't

:-)

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join