It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Cove

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 07:40 PM
link   
reply to post by SonicInfinity

I've killed chickens and cows. At least within context of the ranch/farm, they are killed quickly. There's a reason for this that goes beyond being humane. When animals -- in the wild or not -- suffer, their meat is flooded with various bodily chemicals that ruins the meat. Most farmers I've know and grown up with ALSO deeply didn't want an animal to suffer.

I've known hunters that didn't care. Most that I knew wouldn't take a "maybe" shot. It's simple respect for an animal's life. I've never understood trophy hunters, although I grew up knowing one of the legends -- Elmer Keith -- and loved him. He was a good friend to my father and myself. Even as a kid I didn't understand the allure.

Aquatic mammals suffer. Nobody puts a pneumatic shaft to their heads, at least that I know of. Having said that, of course, I am reminded of some of the videos of bad shots given to cattle being butchered. At least there is the attempt at a quick death.

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 07:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by NW111
simple 3 words:

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!SAVE THE ANIMALS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
PLEASE!!!!

that's four words

but yeah,i remember seeing this trailer a While ago. I'm really looking forward to this film.

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 07:49 PM
link   
Here's a few reasons why Dolphins should not end up on a plate. Or slaughtered to get there..

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 07:53 PM
link   
reply to post by twilightzone

Humankind deserves extinction. Hopefully we get it soon.

WOAAAA..Hold on there buddy! Speak for yourself, I love my life, I love my family and friends. I love the entire human race and its potential. Just because we are having some some problems right now gives you the right to judge everybody that worked, died, and suffered to give us what we have now? Just because we are having issues now gives you the right to decide that the ENTIRE 6 BILLION PEOPLE in the world should cease to exist?! What about all the small children, the ones not born yet!? You are being very selfish and narcissistic here. I'll dare you disrespect the life on this planet like that. I do not know how bad your life may suck but I personally have MANY family members, good friends, and loves in this life. I know many with small children who haven't yet had the chance to make an influence in this world and experience it. To sum it up, your statement was extremely ignorant, selfish, and straight up horrid. I mean I know we humans do some bad things to the planet and animals but ARE YOU SERIOUSLY SAYING YOU GIVE MORE RESPECT TO ANIMALS THAN YOUR OWN DAMN SPECIES!!!!???

I THANK GOD that this is only yours and a handful of ignorant members opinions. Maybe some psychological help might be in order. But this is only my opinion.

SDOG: Good thread, should be a good movie and it is great this issue is getting attention as it needs it.

[edit on 6/29/2009 by jkrog08]

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 08:08 PM
link   
reply to post by jkrog08

Hi j, and ty ...

And I agree with you, obviously the wish here is neither to 'exterminate' humans or any other species for that matter. But also keep in mind that watching such footage can be both emotionally draining and exasperating for a lot of folk, and it can trigger an deep felt and earnest sense of shame. Perhaps such a statement is borne as a reaction to that more than a true heartfelt wish for the end of humanity. At least I hope so.

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 09:26 PM
link   
Oh sigh... you people again...
First off, fishing is as old as Japan itself, and yes I agree too many are being fished, but Im sure all you people would still be crying if only 100 were killed each year!!
I also think the 'angry fishermen' must have been paid actors... because Japan is the strangest place on earth. When I went there I met hundreds of people, and not a single person was rude, or mean, and if you accidentally bumped into them they would apologise!

Please read my other explanation here...
Hayden (unpronouncable last name) was freaking ridiculous too... what a publicity mental breakdown...
Cuz seriously why doesnt she go cry about Darfur or Chechnya or Iraq?!! Oh right because she cant go surfing there

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 09:30 PM
link   
Here's description and some facts about the dolphin hunt that addresses some of the arguments some have made in this thread:

In Japan, fishermen round up and slaughter hundreds and even thousands of dolphins and other small whales each year.

In the small fishing village of Taiji, entire schools of dolphins are driven into a hidden cove after a prolonged chase. Once trapped inside the cove, the fishermen kill the dolphins, slashing their throats with knives or stabbing them with spears. The water turns red with their blood, and the air fills with their screams.

This brutal massacre — the largest scale dolphin kill in the world — goes on for six months of every year. Even more scandalous, members of the international dolphin display industry take advantage of the dolphin slaughter to obtain some few, show-quality dolphins for use in captive dolphin shows and dolphin swim programs.

It is commonly assumed that Japanese fishermen hunt dolphins to supply a small minority of Japanese people with dolphin meat. But unlike the expensive whale meat, dolphin meat is not considered a delicacy in Japan, and the real reason the Japanese government issues permits to kill dolphins by the thousands every year has nothing to do with food culture. It has to do with pest control. As shocking as it sounds, some Japanese government officials view dolphins as pests to be eradicated in huge numbers. During a meeting at Taiji City Hall, the fishermen of Taiji admitted this to us. "We don’t kill the dolphins primarily for their meat. We kill them as a form of pest control," they told us. In other words, killing the competition is their way of preserving the ocean’s fish for themselves.

Most likely in order to push the food culture issue even further, the Japanese government recently introduced pilot whale meat to children's school lunch programs, despite the fact that the meat is tainted with mercury and not fit for human consumption. The Japanese government and the dolphin hunters do not warn the Japanese people of this danger, although the dolphin meat should be labeled as toxic. Much of the tainted dolphin meat ends up as counterfeit whale meat in Tokyo and other large cities.

Science has established that dolphins are highly intelligent and complex marine mammals. How can "pest control" on dolphins continue with so little opposition from the Japanese people and the outside world? The answer is secrecy. Since we first traveled to Japan in 2003 to document the dolphin hunt and expose it to the world, the fishermen have become increasingly paranoid about being photographed and filmed. Today, they hide the dolphin slaughter behind barbed wire, ropes and tarpaulin. Killing the dolphins before daylight breaks, they station guards at the mouth of the killing cove to ensure that no one witnesses the blood bath.

The fishermen say they kill the dolphins "quickly and humanely." That's an outright lie. The methods used to kill the dolphins are so savage, it's hard to believe it unless you witness it for yourself. And once you've seen it, the images and sounds of the screaming dolphins never go away. The fishermen know that the world will be outraged when the truth gets out. And so, guided by their government, they hide behind phrases such as "food culture" and "tradition." They even once told us they are proud of what they do. If they had told us they were having fun while killing dolphins, we would have believed them. We have heard them laugh out loud as they were throwing spears at the dolphins and hauling them ashore with ropes, or dragging still live dolphins by their tail flukes to be slaughtered. If they were really proud of this, then why do they go to such extreme measures hiding it? Why won’t they even let their own people know about the hunt? We asked them this once, and the answer was: "It is none of their business." But it is their business. The Japanese people have every right to know about the dolphin slaughter. And they have a right to know about the mercury-poisoned dolphin meat that is being fed to their children.
(emphasis mine)
savejapandolphins

So, still think this is a good idea, a shining beacon of humanity?

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 09:37 PM
link   
if they were farmed like cattle, deep fried dolphin don't sound bad..
I agree the cruelty should be stopped, but c-mon we all eat meat, well most of us
penguin cakes yum.....fried in whale oil...I'm not serious!

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 09:56 PM
link   
oops

[edit on 29-6-2009 by elarmstrongo]

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 10:09 PM
link   
It is my sincerest hope that these hunters come across a few of these dolphins that have been trained to kill.

It may be the oddest tale to emerge from the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina. Armed dolphins, trained by the US military to shoot terrorists and pinpoint spies underwater, may be missing in the Gulf of Mexico. Experts who have studied the US navy's cetacean training exercises claim the 36 mammals could be carrying 'toxic dart' guns. Divers and surfers risk attack, they claim, from a species considered to be among the planet's smartest. The US navy admits it has been training dolphins for military purposes, but has refused to confirm that any are missing.

www.guardian.co.uk...

After these attack dolphins hand out a little justice we could work on shutting down the Naval Marine Mammal Program.

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 10:09 PM
link   
The video states that every year 23,000 dolphins are killed in Japan. In comparison New York state alone issued over 200,000 deer hunting licenses last year.
www.dec.ny.gov...
Let’s get real here the number of animals harvest is not un sustainable considering the few countries that consume it. Maybe the answer is to farm them instead of hunt them but I bet people would still have a problem with it.

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 10:14 PM
link   
i can't think of anything more atroceious. what an empty hearted thing to do. i'd lay odds this isn't being done because these people's survival depends on it. it's thier traditions, something they been doing for thousands of years. sickening display of mans unmerciful disrespect for
life. brutal butchers. and ugly people too, i mean if the choice was up to me well i didn't see any contributions to the human gene pool that we couldn't
do w/out! yep i'm positive, we'd be better off w/ the dolphins. only
thing worse that i could think of is someone who would defend this blood
lust. wonder how they would feel if someone dealt w/ them in this manner. click off when door closes

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 10:15 PM
link   
People have a problem because they are biased. Do they even consider how many animals suffer naturally in the wild. The first poster who stated that suffering ruins the meat has never seen a lion suffocate a wildebeest with its teeth. Those wailers are probably angry at those ignorant investigators who should really be spying on the farmers who put who knows what into the feed of he cows we eat. I'll bet you that the meat from those Dolphins is a lot healthier. On top of that, the food that dolphins eat is the same food we eat. Fishing has gotten out of control and certain fish will cease to exist in the next few decades. If we control the predator population we can help increase the other fish populations.

These people are ignorant activists who care about nothing but their own culture and small world thinking. I'll be their parents are home watching TV eating Filet Minion and waking up to bacon. At least they said that most of the Japanese people don't really know about it because that is also true, but even if they did at least it is a sustainable source of nutrition. This film only gets a reward for getting good angles and getting into a territory that they make appear so difficult to get into. In reality that # isn't even necessary. There are plenty of youtube videos of violent looking waling of Dolphins. What they should do is promote vegetarianism because That wouldn't be ignorant and they would actually be able to make valid points. This is nonsense.

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 10:25 PM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

Thanks for posting this. This is why I'm a vegetarian. I've seen too many videos of atrocities like this. I realise that my single and silent action won't make a difference in the grand scheme of things...

Our global society does not need to consume the amount of meat that we do... it's sickening. I would bet that most people who eat meat would not be able to look an animal in the eye and slice its throat. Also consider that most hunters are very conscious of killing only what they can consume, and doing it humanly. Single shots to the brain or heart. Many of my family and friends hunt and will confirm this.

Here's some interesting statistics and facts about livestock for to digest (pun intended):
Number of people worldwide who will die as a result of malnutrition this year: 20 million
Number of people who could be adequately fed using land freed if Americans reduced their intake of meat by 10%: 100 million
Percentage of corn grown in the US eaten by people: 20
Percentage of corn grown in the US eaten by livestock: 80
Percentage of oats grown in the US eaten by livestock: 95
Percentage of protein wasted by cycling grain through livestock: 90
How frequently a child dies as a result of malnutrition: every 2 point 3 seconds
Pounds of potatoes that can be grown on an acre: 40,000
Pounds of beef produced on an acre: 250
Percentage of US farmland devoted to beef production: 56
Pounds of grain and soybeans needed to produce a pound of edible flesh from feedlot beef: 16
User of more than half of all water used for all purposes in the US: livestock production
Amount of water used in production of the average cow: sufficient to float a destroyer
Gallons of water needed to produce a pound of wheat: 25
Gallons of water needed to produce a pound of California beef: 5,000
Years the world's known oil reserves would last if every human ate a meat-centered diet: 13
Years they would last if human beings no longer ate meat: 260
Calories of fossil fuel expended to get 1 calorie of protein from beef: 78
To get 1 calorie of protein from soybeans: 2
Percentage of all raw materials (base products of farming, forestry and mining, including fossil fuels) consumed by US that is devoted to the production of livestock: 33
Percentage of all raw materials consumed by the US needed to produce a complete vegetarian diet: 2
Number of US medical schools: 125
Number requiring a course in nutrition: 30
Nutrition training received by average US physician during four years in medical school: 2 point 5 hours
Most common cause of death in the US : heart attack
How frequently a heart attack kills in the US: every 45 seconds
Average US man's risk of death from heart attack: 50 percent
Risk of average US man who eats no meat: 15 percent
Risk of average US man who eats no meat, dairy or eggs: 4 percent
Amount you reduce risk of heart attack if you reduce consumption of meat, dairy and eggs by 10 percent: 9 percent
Amount you reduce risk of heart attack if you reduce consumption by 50 percent: 45 percent
Amount you reduce risk if you eliminate meat, dairy and eggs from your diet: 90 percent
Average cholesterol level of people eating meat-centered-diet: 210 mg/dl
Chance of dying from heart disease if you are male and your blood cholesterol level is 210 mg/dl: greater than 50 percent

and finally...
Meat contains no essential nutrients that cannot be obtained in higher quality directly from plant sources.

[edit on 6.29.2009 by Avarus]

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 10:31 PM
link   
Words escape me... I can't even begin to say how sickened and outraged I feel... I spent 8 years in the naval services and have seen thousands of dolphins, and hundreds of whales. They are truly magnificent creatures and there is just no reason for this! Between what I've seen here today and what I've seen on 'Whale Wars', I will never again purchase anything 'made in Japan' again until this useless butchery is stopped once and for all! It almost makes me wish we had nuked them off the map in 1945. Thanks SD for bringing this to the attention of the ATS membership!

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 10:40 PM
link   
I'll say this. Gods creatures are supposed to kill each other. This is how a control population is maintained. The only "creatures" of God that do not need to kill each other are human beings because we are supposed to spread Earth's life to other places in our nearly unlimited universe. If Dolphins were getting into space then they should not be killed because they definitely would be more intelligent than us. If we all had the option of working to get our own land on a foreign planet and we were guaranteed that because the land in space is nearly limitless then I bet that 99.9% could agree. People destroy each other of turf. It's pretty much the way it's been for the sinful, angry, and small minded. By killing these dolphins man is actually strengthening the dolphins shared consciousness from which they can evolve and become even more intelligent, possible more than humans.

Most people fail to see that the Earth is a living organism just are we are and just as the cells that makeup our soul vessel. Earth wants us to leave this planet and spread its life. The people that do nothing but serve their false egos. Serving the false ego is serving the body. The body is a tool. The tool should be well maintained, but it should not be the reason for living. The reason for living is to do something permanent. To experience things that allow our souls to grow.

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 10:45 PM
link   
reply to post by C0mmonen5e

Wait, wait, wait ...

Did you just say that dolphins are fair game because they're not spaceworthy?

Congratulations, you take the cake.

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 10:47 PM
link   
This is certainly not Humane, as others have pointed... hey wait a minute what is HUMANE, who coined such a term, and why are we all aware of it ?

While I have had quite a bit of enjoyable experience with dolphin, and consider it pointless to eliminate them... I am also aware of the fact that there is a war against culture everywhere. So, I'm always suspicious of something that takes the side of a completely different species...

There was recently a thread along similar lines. In this case, it was the degenerate Danes who should be conforming to some standard or another.

I have no use for killing unnecisarily anything but, I'm on peoples' side.

For the record : the baleen whales, intelligent and ( some say ) even enlightened kill literally tens of millions of living creatures a day- bare minimum just to maintain body weight.

A dolphin is not an intelligent being... just a set of teeth... to a fish.

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 10:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skelkie3
A dolphin is not an intelligent being... just a set of teeth... to a fish.

Really?
www.apa.org...

Well, when something comes along whether it be a superior alien race or something else, and they harvest you for your flesh with the same mentality, I'm sure you'll have the same attitude... right? lol

Humans are not intelligent beings... just a set of teeth... to dolphin.

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 11:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Avarus

Well, in all honesty I have to admit that I've seen Dolphins do all sorts of odd things. Some trained ones ( or better said - domesticated ) herded my girlfriend into a corner ( the males did ) and made us both quite nervous. Aroused male dolphin is an imposing sight...

Yeah, I guess I have an appreciation that few who haven' made long slow ocean crossings have, also. Still, I really think that there is so much to occupy us right now with regards to our own species...

Dolphins and whalesd simply will not survive in a world of 10 billion primates with car keys- and their time , therefore , is coming.

Better turn as much of the oceans into parks as possible now.

Would you use force to defend them ? Like the African anti-poacher cops ?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join