It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Cove

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 05:02 PM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

We seem to be getting quite a bit off topic, and I am partly to blame for that. suppose someone came to your home town and told you that something you did was so horrific that it should be banned by international law and sanctions placed against you city for that practice? Maybe something that a large percent of people are doing, like eating hamburgers.

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by elarmstrongo

I'm not sure what you're getting at?

Perhaps a more macro view would be helpful:

en.wikipedia.org...
www.iep.utm.edu...

I wonder, are you protesting all but free for all anarchy?

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 05:18 PM
link   

O.K. where do cheeseburgers and chicken nuggets fall under social contract? We (as in western society) do not need to eat beef to feed our people. We could all survive off of the crops grown and would not see the problems of obesity that we have now. It is our choice, and no amount of protest will change it. Does that make it less wrong? I think it is funny how we can make ourselves believe anything is acceptable, as long as it is in our best interest.

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by elarmstrongo

O.K. where do cheeseburgers and chicken nuggets fall under social contract?

I was simply answering your question:

suppose someone came to your home town and told you that something you did was so horrific that it should be banned by international law and sanctions placed against you city for that practice?

And not for nothing but social contracts were actually specifically created originally as resource distribution mechanisms, primarily food.

As far as what's right or wrong, no one can tell you that.
We all have our own mirrors and selves as barometers.
If you do not find this practice sickening then fair enough.

I find it soulcrushingly painful, so for ME it is wrong.

That's all.

[edit on 29 Jun 2009 by schrodingers dog]

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 05:34 PM
link   

O.K. where do cheeseburgers and chicken nuggets fall under social contract? We (as in western society) do not need to eat beef to feed our people. We could all survive off of the crops grown and would not see the problems of obesity that we have now.

Posting your opinion is welcome but posting false information is not. Eating a diet that is fueled 100% by agriculture is a fast track to obesity. Ask the have a look at the ancient Egyptians. As agriculturists that consumed mainly carbohydrates, they were indeed inflicted by most of the chronic diseases of aging that we see today, including obesity.

Back on topic. Thank you for the videos, sdog. That makes me sick to see what they're doing to the dolphins, and then what they're doing to the children, knowingly poisoning their children. Greed is a terrible thing, but these men are just sick.....

-Dev

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Things like this make me wonder who came up with that term humane? Like we are the rightous ones! We are collectivley sick in the head and something needs to be done before we destroy everything that is good and worthwile in life. Just about everything that is happening in the world these days is against our nature and against nature itself! btw Im not a vegitarian, I have nothing against sustainable hunting, infact thats thats the point sustainabilty, and I know for a fact that the way people are doing things at the moment is not sustainble, none of it, not in the bigger picture anyway, we are bent on unsustainble growth and expansion which sooner or later must and will collapse!
Heres a link for those that feel we treat anmals well, for those that don't it will upset you much more than the the vids on this thread so don't even watch it!!

Google Video Link

For the posters who argue there is nothing wrong with how we treat animals please explain to me the clip of the skiny but fully alive stray dog being thrown into the garbage truck as if it were nothing more than that!!!
(note you will have to move the timline slider along to 1 minute as this vid doesnt auto play from the start anymore for some reason )

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 06:02 PM
link   
How would you like to be a Tuna in all this, all the PETA people are crying about the Dolphins and the poor Tuna is sitting there like "Hey WTF, what am I invisible or something"

PETA will never do anything, PETA is a joke, PETA only likes cute animals while they imply "F" the rest. PETA is the place where rich people store their stupid daughter while their smarter one runs the family business.

If PETA really cared for animals don't you think they would have done something about the donkey show by now? Having some nasty Mexican hooker do, you know what, to the poor donkey. It's bad enough being an animal whose name is actually ASS but do you need to go through life with crabs too? And speaking of crabs where is PETA on that one...

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 06:18 PM
link   
reply to post by SaraThustra

PETA?

Didn't they just condemn Obama for killing a fly?

Oh, and as far as the poor tuna, he too is not immune from us. www.panda.org...

Sometimes I think our species won't be happy until we kill everything and everyone.

Although we sure do manage to make a lot of babies ...

Soylent Green is a 1973 dystopian science fiction movie depicting a future in which overpopulation leads to depleted resources, which in turn leads to widespread unemployment and poverty. Real fruit, vegetables, and meat are rare, commodities are expensive, and much of the population survives on processed food rations, including "soylent green" wafers. *

Dolphin free soylent green?

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Exactly. Chickens, cows, etc., can be killed in just as horrific manners as dolphins (albeit away from the public eye). People place far too much emphasis on the cute creatures. What about octopi? They're also highly intelligent, yet you don't see many people coming to their defense when they are slaughtered and eaten.

[edit on 6/29/2009 by SonicInfinity]

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 06:34 PM
link   
I am sorry, but are dolphins endangered? I they aren't then I see nothing wrong with eating them. They got to live lives with dignity, and it isn't like they never had a chance at avoiding death, unlike the countless cows, pigs, and chickens that never really get to experience a full life because they were born and killed in the same place. I haven't seen you post about this which is in my opinion and fundamentally more of a moral issue. I have had Dolphin and it tastes really good. Again, I don't like to eat things that didn't live a life with dignity. And besides what natural predators are there for dolphins?

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 06:54 PM
link   
I see a lot of folks have mastered the uniquely human trait of rationalization.

How very comforting.

This isn't an abstract intellectual puzzle, this is what we DO.

Some cry, some hide and repress, some rationalize it away, and apparently it makes some hungry for dolphin.

That's just great.

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 07:25 PM
link   

What do you eat? and how do you rationalize it?

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 07:28 PM
link   

You really are trying hard to derail this thread aren't you?

[edit on 29-6-2009 by Mer Ka Bah]

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 07:29 PM
link   

What do you eat?

I find falsely premised questions very yummy.

and how do you rationalize it?

No need to, it just feels right.

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 07:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Mer Ka Bah

Derail/ the OP said some can rationalize anything. I am asking a follow up, if anything it is the OP who is off topic.

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 07:31 PM
link   
Alright... try to keep on topic please.

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 07:31 PM
link   

DolphinFISH and tuna are far more abundant, at least here, in the land of not-too-many-people-to-wipe-them-out. We had a wild dolphin here a few years ago. I tagged along with several dive boat trips trying to get to interact with him. He was called "Spot" by the locals, due to a large scar on his flank.

One day, looking out to sea right in front of the house, I saw him rolling about 100 yards offshore. I then did a stupid, but life-changing thing: I grabbed my fins, mask and snorkle and headed out to meet Spot. It was stupid for a variety of reasons, the least of which that Spot apparently had a penchant for humping divers on occasion. He was wild. So, off I go, and getting tired by the time I'd travelled about 250 yards. It was wonderous. We turned and played in the water. I didn't touch him but once, but he came up and held his body vertical in the water, parallel to my own, and we were eye to eye.

I felt as a kid that I had a sorta totemic kinship with sea mammals. That event cemented it. Spot was obviously very intelligent. Of course, he wasn't frightened of me. He knew I wasn't diddly in his aquatic domain. I'll never forget it, if I remember nothing else.

Eat them??? OOPS, we caught one in our fishing net, cut 'im out, before he screws up the net!!! We should be better than that.

That part of humanity makes me sick. It's repulsive, and alien. I've been a hunter and angler all of my childhood, and part of my adult life. There were things, I sensed, that were off-limits. You don't go and take down a cinammon bear just because it's there. You cull from a herd, you knock down a few birds from the whole, and you use all of the animal. You eat animals which are abundant, as was intended by nature. Dolphins, whales, porpoise, sea cows, they should get a pass. The ONLY humans that should take them are perhaps the Inuit, who, even recently depend to a large extent upon them. They treasure them. Nothing is wasted.

It's a matter of animals being raised for eating, or culling large communities of creatures, also for food. Where do dolphins and whales fit into that? They are sentient mammals, and not really abundant, are they?

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 07:32 PM
link   
We truly are the scum of the earth

How are we expected to survive as a species when we cant even treat animals with dignity and respect

Im ashamed to human...very very ashamed

S & F s-dog

[edit on 29/6/2009 by OzWeatherman]

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 07:33 PM
link   

I know better than to watch the second vid, SDog. Thanks for the warning. I'm capable of watching it, but I don't need the visual to understand.

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 07:37 PM
link   
reply to post by argentus

Yeah, I understand that.

I have huge admiration for the folks who put this documentary together and for all who fight in defense of the defenseless.

The scum that do this are fully aware of how wrong it is, hence why the try to effect a media blackout around the cove.

And Oz, ty mate.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join