It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New US military policy about Asteroid Secrecy??

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Reading this just now at unknowncountry.com, that there was lately a remarkable change in recent US military policy, I try to imagine what the reason could be for this new way of secrecy about possible incoming asteroids.
Is it because they already know that something unpleasant is coming our way and they does not want it to be known as done the usable way, or could there be another reasonable explanation for it?
Does anyone else have an idea?

New Asteroid Secrecy
25-Jun-2009

But why? –

Information from military satellites about incoming asteroids has always been given to scientists in the past, but now the military has suddenly classified the information.

A recent US military policy decision now explicitly states that observations by spy satellites of incoming fireballs have been classified as secret so they cannot be released. These are satellites that detect nuclear bomb sites and tests, such as those in North Korea and Iran. As a side effect, they have also detected potentially incoming asteroids. This means that incoming space rocks that may explode in our atmosphere are now classified, so we cannot be prepared for a possible cataclysm.

In Space.com, Leonard David quotes an anonymous NASA scientist as saying, "It's baffling to us why this would suddenly change. It's unfortunate because there was this great synergy, a very good cooperative arrangement. Systems were put into dual-use mode where a lot of science was getting done that couldn't be done any other way. It's a regrettable change in policy."

David quotes NASA's David Morrison as saying, "The fireball data from military or surveillance assets have been of critical importance for assessing the impact hazard." Are they afraid that someone might identify these space rocks as incoming UFOs?

www.unknowncountry.com...

[edit on 29/6/09 by spacevisitor]

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 01:54 PM
link   
well, it seems that it has something to do with flight 447.

read this: www.sott.net...

apparently the hazards of exploding meteors are huge and there seems to be an increase in +kiloton explosions in our atmosphere.

obviosly the ptb don't want us to know that a hailstorm is coming our way...

anybody got a bulletproof umbrella?

edit to add: groetjes uit eindhoven!

[edit on 29-6-2009 by BazzeMan]

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Hi whenever the military stops something look to the money first.
Cost is probably why, the bean counters got onto it, it takes them a while, they found a hole of money being spent and plugged it.
They are not stopping anyone looking at asteroids.
This satellite was not meant to look at asteroids.
There is many telescopes and observatory's that monitor asteroids and UFO's.
If they wanted to classify the whole sky they could think about it.

[edit on 29-6-2009 by CaptainCaveMan]

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 03:21 PM
link   
@captaincaveman: actually, this sattelite is looking for explosions on the earth and in the atmosphere. no other observatory does that.

it's not about money but it is about (information)control. making something a secret costs maybe even more than sharing the information.

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 03:35 PM
link   
I have to wonder where the quote in the OP about incoming asteroids (prominently highlighted) comes from. The satellites they are talking about look down, toward the Earth's surface, not up. They have never detected an incoming asteroid in space nor could they. Their purpose is finding bright events within the atmosphere. Asteroids, before they become meteors are not bright and are not within the atmosphere.

As usual, it helps to go to the source rather than the sensationalist nonsense.

The satellites' main objectives include detecting nuclear bomb tests, and their characterizations of asteroids and lesser meteoroids as they crash through the atmosphere has been a byproduct data bonanza for scientists. The upshot: Space rocks that explode in the atmosphere are now classified.

www.space.com...

[edit on 6/29/2009 by Phage]

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 03:49 PM
link   
This makes perfect sense for the military to not release sensitive information like that. As obviously pointed out above, the meteor data came as a by product from the original mission objective.
Why compromise sensitive data to the private sector when you have North Korea running its mouth and an un stable Iran, that is also backed by Russia none the less.

Its a safer bet to just keep the data within the military instead of trying to keep the scientists happy.

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 04:46 PM
link   
guys, come on!

this is not about detecting incoming meteors, it's about detecting meteors exploding in our atmosphere.

this info was gladly shared before the incident with flight 447 and now suddenly and without explanation it isn't anymore.

why would that be?

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 05:11 PM
link   
reply to post by BazzeMan

guys, come on!
this is not about detecting incoming meteors, it's about detecting meteors exploding in our atmosphere.

um...actually, it's not, it's only a byproduct.

The satellites' main objectives include detecting nuclear bomb tests, and their characterizations of asteroids and lesser meteoroids as they crash through the atmosphere has been a byproduct data bonanza for scientists.

www.space.com...

this info was gladly shared before the incident with flight 447 and now suddenly and without explanation it isn't anymore.

I have to give you some CT credit though, your the first person Ive seen try to link flight 447 to this.

Heres another thread alread discussing this topic.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Why on Earth would you make a connection to flight 447? Are you suggesting that the plane was hit by a meteor and that for some reason the military feels that's a good reason to stop release of their information? Your timing is wrong. Again, it's a good idea to go to the source:

But all that ended within the last few months, leaving scientists blind-sided and miffed by the shift in policy. The hope is that the policy decision will be revisited and overturned.

www.space.com...

I think it's far more likely that, as pointed out, the recent military activity in Korea and Iran have more to do with the change in policy. It's not just the data on meteors, it's observations by the satellites...period.

[edit on 6/29/2009 by Phage]

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 05:30 PM
link   
@phage: have you read the link i provided?

it's not about a meteor hitting the plane directly but about the shockwave of an exploding meteor knocking it out of the sky.

read, my friend.

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 05:45 PM
link   

I did read the article and it is an interesting idea (I confess, I did say "hit") but it doesn't change the fact that the new policy was instituted months ago so relating it to flt 447 (June 1) is kind of hard to do.

Related to the article (but not this thread):

In January 2000, a meteor only 15 ft (5 m) across entered the atmosphere and exploded over the town of Whitehorse in the Canadian Yukon. The blast created an electromagnetic pulse (EMP) similar to that of a high-altitude nuclear detonation and disabled a third of the region's electrical power grid.

www.aerospaceweb.org...

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 07:45 PM
link   
It's about hiding a gigantic explosion in a remote region that would, normally, not be otherwise known. Think about it.

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 09:47 PM
link   
We have established that there was a change in policy regarding data shared between the military and scientists involving incoming objects. We have also established that 447 went down mysteriously with all systems seeming to fail at once. Not sure the two are related, but maybe. I guess we have less of a chance of knowing based upon the policy change.

Guess it is time for the scientists to get their own satellite up to provide the information. Nothing would stop that, right? Or has space been militarized? Other companies have technology up there that can show me naked sunbathing by my pool for all to see, ssssoooo...

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 02:19 AM
link   
there certainly will be some military resistance to putting a sattelite up there that achieves the same objective as the original one. why not share the information like before?

of course they never shared the sensitive information like nuclear blasts but only the explosions from incoming meteors.

seems pretty obvious to me.

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 09:28 AM
link   
post erased.

[edit on 30/6/09 by spacevisitor]

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 01:31 PM
link   
On a larger scale one can imagine it's not directly related to the air france flight but to the fact that there is a rise in (multi)megaton explosions in the atmosphere related to meteors (like tunguska).

maybe they know something we're not supposed to know and are hiding the info so it doesn't scare the living bejesus out of us...

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 06:47 PM
link   
It seems that the sharing of data from the military was never cut off. Some scientists panicked over a March 16 memo from Brigadier General Rego. However the memo actually called for a policy to make data about meteors more freely available, not to restrict it. Because of a certain amount of vagueness in policy, there had been cases of data not being released in a timely manner. A policy change is in the works, but it is for better access. And in the mean time data continues to flow.

Rego says

"What we've found as we dug into this is that there was quite a bit of gapping that had occurred, even before the routine review that we did back in March," Rego said. "So notwithstanding the routine policy review, what we're doing in the next few weeks here...is circling the wagons so that we can remove some of the Ad Hoc nature."

Rego also spotlighted his concern that there's no real mechanism in place to ensure that the bolide data is sent to science researchers in a timely manner.

So by tightening the organizational ship, can the useful bolide data for scientific purposes be made available more quickly?

"Sooner and more consistently," Rego said. "We can probably do this better."

"The data is out there. It's not impacting military operations to gather the data that's important to the scientific community," Rego added. "Let's take a look at how we can do that in a timely and collegiate manner."

www.space.com...

[edit on 7/29/2009 by Phage]

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Thanks Phage for the reply, but I got a little suspicious when I read this:

"I have been keeping a close eye on this situation, and I am confident the Department of Defense, in cooperation with the scientific community, will find a solution that permits the release of scientifically valuable data without compromising national security," Rohrabacher explained in a statement to SPACE.com.

As for a message to the scientific community, Brigadier General Rego emphasized that there was no intent, and in fact, no change to the data sharing policy. Now underway is a fresh look at ways to improve the relationship and data flow to make it more valuable to scientists."

Hmm, what to think about that? Giving data without compromising national security and to improve the data flow to make it more valuable to scientists...

In favor of whom, I ask.

new topics

top topics

join